Skip to content

Dark Sun games remade in the Infinity engine

Not sure if this is the right place on the forum, but I would definitely be keen for a remake of Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager and Dark Sun: Shattered Lands in the infinity engine. Or a similar game if a remake wasn't possible due to technical issues (no source code etc).

Would others be interested in this? Is this even possible for Beamdog to do (from a legal/IP perspective)? Would a kickstarter be possible?
Grammarsaladkillerrabbit

Comments

• ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    I would love this. They were my favorite games of that era and I love the setting -- Psionics! However they would have to recreate the art since the original art wouldn't cut it. This would be a huge effort since it would be remodeling the areas, monsters, characters, spell effects, screens, etc.

Cost prevented them from redoing the art for BG/BG2/IWD/PT to give us HD versions so I seriously doubt a remake of these or of the other gold box/DOS games will ever happen.
    Grammarsalad
  • Sirhc_OranSirhc_Oran Member Posts: 4

I would love this. They were my favorite games of that era and I love the setting -- Psionics! However they would have to recreate the art since the original art wouldn't cut it. This would be a huge effort since it would be remodeling the areas, monsters, characters, spell effects, screens, etc.

Cost prevented them from redoing the art for BG/BG2/IWD/PT to give us HD versions so I seriously doubt a remake of these or of the other gold box/DOS games will ever happen.

Perhaps with a kickstarter they could raise enough funds to do a full remake. ;)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Kickstarters have been suggested before. The basic answer is WotC won't allow kickstarters for D&D licensed projects.
    ThacoBellmlnevese
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2017
    I would like this, but it's not really possible.

The first obstacle is that even if they had the source code, it wouldn't be usable. It wasn't made in the Infinity Engine, and the art assets use a completely different form of perspective. Having to create all new art assets is close to the work required to create an all new game. The story is the easy bit. The only reason the EEs are being made is because they can be done "on the cheep". Notice the lack of new models and textures for NWNEE.

As for the legality, with all new engine and art it would probably be judged different enough to be a new game, which means Hasbro wouldn't licence it.

And finally, even if by some miracle Hasbro could be persuaded to licence it, they would insist on 5e rules, and 5e psionics are still only in prototype form.

What could be done is to create an all new, unlicensed game using a version of the setting with the numbers filed off.
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    Fardragon said:

The first obstacle is that even if they had the source code

The source code does exist. It was donated to a museum.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/207137/Strategic_Simulations_Inc_founder_donates_company_collection_to_ICHEG.php

But as you said it wouldn't be of much use since it not for the Infinity Engine.
  • Sirhc_OranSirhc_Oran Member Posts: 4
    The main advantage the source code would be to allow for detailed plot / flags to be put into a new game. Regardless, I can dream and hope.
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    Your better bet is the Neverwinter Nights engine instead. Much more moddable plus containing a desert tileset.
    RAM021
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Awesome! @Darkmaeko

Also, can't Psionics just be spells / innate abilities with uses per day? This's like anyway stupid of WoTC to first invent a way around mana, just to reinvent mana anyways...
  • GoetzOwnedGoetzOwned Member Posts: 1
    I would LOVE this! Dark Sun 1 and 2 are my favorite games! I don't know why they were never remade. Best game setting I've ever played.