Skip to content

Looking for new name ideas for my main character

CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
edited October 2018 in Off-Topic
Ever since NWN1, I got a really bad habit of naming my characters total dull names - for example Seraphina Louise for my paladins, Charlotte Rosalie for my bards, Matilda for my barbarians, Morgana for my druids...

I somehow always end up naming my MC some womanly names, while I want to create imaginative names like Lady Fae or Sister Silence or Dragonbane or anything but names, but somehow my fingers type Freya, Beatrice, Cordelia, Lily instead of Songbrazer, Storm Melody, Dragonbile, Godhammer, Summer Rose, or anything brave, whimsical or badass.

What about you?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm terrible with names, I either have a small stock of about 8 that I rotate through, or I make a joke name.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I found using the name of a precious or semi-precious stone combined with an element worked for me in Master of Orion. StoneMalachite, Rubyfire, etc. There are compendia of names out there, fantasy and otherwise, that you could use. I complied one myself.

One of my earlier RPG characters was Famira Bras de Fer, or Famira Iron Arm, as it would be. She was named after a character I read about in a book in 10th grade. I also have Lorianne Areen, Zenobia-i-kalo, Branwen, Rhiannon, and other non-standard female names.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    For one of my IWD parties I found a book on wildflowers and used a mix of Latin and common names for my party. The one's I remember were Tansy - my thief, Ballota Nigra (black horehound) - my necromancer, Fritillaria Meleagris (snake's-head fritillary) - my ranger and Fleabane - my bard.

I liked that party and somehow the names helped to bring them to life.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I usually take someone's surname and treat it as a first name. For instance, from the fictional name "jack sparrow" I'd name a character Sparrow.
    edited October 2018
    Right now in Pathfinder, I am playing Maewen, an Aasimar Paladin Oath Against Fiends, and Tyana Corsair, a female human Swashbuckler. But I also have a book of Actual Medieval names. You can give your character a name alone (Jack), a name and a place (Jack of Simms' Canyon), a last name based on the profession he or his father had (Jack Tayler/Tailor/Taylor) or a name and a nickname (Jack Grossbody- for someone who is fat, Jack Nimble/Nymble for someone graceful, etc. etc.)
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    LadyRhian said:

Grossbody- for someone who is fat

It's an actual medieval nickname, actually.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I used to create new names and characters, but I've gotten into the habit of recycling names, just because it's easier. My most common names are Poppy, Snowy Tae, Frisk/Frisky Bits, and Chara. Sometimes I take characters from cartoons or games I like: Carl from Llamas with Hats, Stevonnie from Steven Universe, Asriel from Undertale, Star and Marco from Star vs. the Forces of Evil, and Dipper and Mabel from Gravity Falls. I've also recycled Marilyn Blueapple, Fobie, and Bloody Howard.