Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Lost a Shadowdancer to a lightning trap in Durlag's Tower. Somehow I paused immediately after the "Badly Injured" auto-pause and got killed by a bunch of lightning bolts all at once.

How much do you need in Find Traps for BG1? I had 40 and was planning on bumping it up to 60, but I hadn't gotten the next level just yet.
    Gotural
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited October 2018

Lost a Shadowdancer to a lightning trap in Durlag's Tower. Somehow I paused immediately after the "Badly Injured" auto-pause and got killed by a bunch of lightning bolts all at once.

How much do you need in Find Traps for BG1? I had 40 and was planning on bumping it up to 60, but I hadn't gotten the next level just yet.

You might not have gone slowly enough. However there are potions of master thievery and of perception in there that boost your ability. (Down two floors) These are also available from the merchant when you first arrive. I use them in conjunction with oil of speed (In a chest upstairs) The oil of speed in effect prolongs the life of the other potions.

Warning there are deadly traps upstairs if you are not immune to charm.

Using those potions would probably have kept you alive until you levelled up.

Addendum: If your dexterity is not 18+ there is also a potion of agility available.
    BlackravenGrond0StummvonBordwehrlolien
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    edited October 2018
    @Blackraven

The two items where equipped with the help from the helmet of O.A as you have guessed, and the helmet removed with remove curse from Mizhena as you have guessed. I killed the Demon Knight to use the said items (I know BG1 way better than SoD, so I didnt mind the risk in fighting the Demon knight, because the rusk was taken in an area and against an opponent I knew well).

The Mordron Heart was a mistake. Plain and simple - my admittance is on display in the Adv. Lounge for No reloaders. I should have used the medal of valor.
    BlackravenGotural
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @semiticgod don't green scrolls of protection from fire & lightning last 12 hours? combined with items (ring of fire resistance, Mulahay's boots of grounding), you would be well protected.
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

I'm trying out a Fighter/Mage/Cleric. Has there really been no FMC for the Hall of Heroes? It seems like a great choice for a Charname.

@semiticgod it offers a different set of options. However, fighter/mages are already very powerful and it's not obvious that additional (essentially unnecessary) options are a good swap for the lack of 9th level spells and lower levels. I've no doubt at all that it's doable, but I don't find it surprising that it's not been done yet.
    StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddessCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Corey_Russell: Yup. I always use two green scrolls of Protection from Fire, Electricity, and Cold each before Belhifet because it ensures that I'll be immune to Belhifet's fire attacks, the Cornugons' Lightning Bolts, and the ice damage from the Alu-Fiends' arrows, plus a Protection from Poison scroll to block the poison effect from Belhifet's swords. As long as you fall back on the first round of combat and let Caelar take Belhifet's opening Dispel Magic, all the buffs should remain secure even without SI: Abjuration on hand.

Then I layer on Chaotic Commands to block Hold Person, Remove/Resist Fear or a Potion of Clarity to block fear effects, and finally buff with stat-boosting options and so forth, as well as Potions of Magic Shielding if I'm worried about the damage from Cornugons' Absorb Health spells, since they're the only source of magic damage resistance in BG1 and SoD.
    Corey_Russell
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    edited October 2018
    Grond0 said:

I'm trying out a Fighter/Mage/Cleric. Has there really been no FMC for the Hall of Heroes? It seems like a great choice for a Charname.

@semiticgod it offers a different set of options. However, fighter/mages are already very powerful and it's not obvious that additional (essentially unnecessary) options are a good swap for the lack of 9th level spells and lower levels. I've no doubt at all that it's doable, but I don't find it surprising that it's not been done yet.
    @semiticgod
    As I recall histamiini went with a FMC in LoB + ScS + Acsension challenge - and did very well. He did a comparison of the various multis in this post
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/948407/#Comment_948407

If my memory serves me, Histamiini managed to deal with Belhifet with the enchant weapon and Mortys morningstar combo. Flails is in general a solid choice - throughout the whole saga.

In all I think - as Grond0 - its very much doable. And would like to see someone of your skill and flair for the in-game mechanics giving it a try.
    Grond0Wise_Grimwald
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

I have my F/M/C Ineza up and running again, but since I'm also playing with my Bounty Hunter at the moment, progress will be slowish. I do agree it's one of the strongest options out there. I've read criticisms stating the F class doesn't add much to the M/C, but I think that's not a good comparison. An F/M/C should be compared to and played as Fighter/Casters. And with their divine buffing, arcane buffing + arcane buff protections, and warrior Thac0, APR, etc they are very powerful. Ineza's first incarnation had no trouble with BG or SoD (and only fell because I didn't understand what was going on after I messed up the Ashatiel duel).
    In fact for a player of your calibre, F/M/C might be too easy?
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0Goturallolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited October 2018
    Journal of Longtooth
    I tried to remove the curse on the werewolf at High Hedge but was unsuccessful. I will return later.

Ithen helped Rufie and killed Vax and Zal before heading east where I killed Caldo and Krumm.

This led to my rep rising to 15. :)

Rescued 'Drienne's cat and raised rep to 16, level to 4.

Real life adventure means that this will be put on hold for a fortnight.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    EnuhalStummvonBordwehrlolien
  • billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    Hey guys, I'm happy I found this awesome thread. Some very cool runs in here.

I've started to play the game again, I used to ask my questions in the Solo LoB+SCS thread (as most of my attempts have been LoB+SCS). So I've decided to try a monk, likely vanilla (if the LoB save bonus doesn't apply then stunning blow should be pretty good to start with). Anyway, usually my first stop after talking to Marl and firebead, is Shaol. She used to be easily kitable with some patience, but nowadays she has beguiling aura and misplacement, as well as summoning a water elemental. Now, I'm wondering if this change is something to do with 2.5 rather than SCS because with my previous SCS installs (talking about a year ago) she never had those abilities, also her AC seems to be much lower than what it used to be....

I tried reinstalling with improved sirienes and dryads off but she still had those abilities... anyone know if its part of a mod?
    Goturallolien
  • billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132

@billy_pilgrim : ''beguiling aura and misplacement, as well as summoning a water elemental'' are supposed to be from from aTweaks, not from SCS:

Nereid
    Ability Scores: STR 9, DEX 17, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 18
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Base Armor Class: 10
    Movement: 12
    Hit Dice: 4 (32 hp)
    Base THAC0: 17
    Attacks per Round: 0
    Base Damage: None
    On-hit effects: None
    Special Defenses: Extraplanar Traits; Beguiling Aura (always active); Displacement (always active)
    Resistances: Magic 50%
    Saving Throws: 13/15/14/16/16
    XP Value: 975
    Special abilities: Drowning Kiss (at will), Summon Water Weird (1x/day), Venom Spit (at will)

Do you have those installed?
    I'm not familiar with EE, but I don't think developers implemented those abilities in base EE games.
    Yep, I used EET install tool (It's really great) and I selected several options from aTweaks, I'll have to go through them again! Thanks a lot, its nice that it doesn't compromise the SCS part of the challenge.
    Gotural