Skip to content

Can I survive SOD without a cleric?

That's my question...I plan to take Jaheira when I find her, but otherwise I'd like a run without Glint and/or Viconia.

What are my chances?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Well, players manage to solo SoD on the LoB difficulty with almost any character, see https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62202/the-lob-scs-solo-challenge-proudly-presents-the-crusaders-of-blades-and-stars

If you have a party, you can play based on their strength. You will certainly have problems against certain types of enemies without Cleric buffs (level draining, stun, etc), but why not try it?
    StummvonBordwehrDhariusAerakar
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You can clear SoD minus any class you want to go without. Some will make it harder than others, but its all relatively reasonably doable. You might have some trouble with certain undead encounters.
    JuliusBorisovDhariusAerakar
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    OK, I'll give it a try - I want to try the canon (ish) party of Minsc, Dynaheir, Safana, Jaheira and Khalid. Let's see what happens :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

Personal opinion:

At this point, a party with Glint is canon for SoD. ;)

How so? I haven't played SoD all the way through yet.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i'd say corwin is the most canon to a sod party.
    Dev6ThacoBell
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    If you're playing without M'Khiin you might as well not play it. :tongue:
    ThacoBell
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

I think you meant "cannon"?
    ThacoBellContemplative_Hamsterredline
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015

Personal opinion:

At this point, a party with Glint is canon for SoD. ;)

Glint and Corwin both make it in my party usually every time now, especially Glint. I tried playing without him, and well something was just missing.

I have not yet tried M'Khinn though...
    ThacoBell
  • Ardanis said:

I think you meant "cannon"?
    She's an Archer with a magical longbow. Definitely 'cannon.'
    ThacoBellAedan
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Yeah, they seem to have forgotten that an Archer is still a Ranger and there's more to Rangers than just "good at killing things".
    Aedan
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited August 2018
    You can beat the saga (sod included) with almost anybody, a group of six or soloing, if you know what you are doing. The only game you cant beat soloing (unless you are a mage or sorcerer of high level) is tob, imho.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited August 2018
    I went through SoD on LoB with a solo kitless fighter, so yeah, a no cleric party is definitively possible.

And, for the record, ToB, with or without Ascension and SCS, has been soloed by fighters before. @Grond0 even soloed the whole saga with a Wizard Slayer, so yeah, the sky’s the limit ! :p
    ThacoBellGrond0Aerakar[Deleted User]
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Interesting points...but I'm happy with Minsc, Valygar and Corwin being rangers...someone has to be :)
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    I've never thought about how weird was that Corwin is a Ranger... Seriously, i love the kit (in SoD she is a slaughter machine) but clearly she is not a Ranger. Just read the description for the character and there is nothing that justify this choice. She is a Fighter, period.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    It was a stupid decision to restrict extreme ranged weapon specialization to rangers in the first place.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    she should have been an archer kit.
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Raduziel said:

Beamdog kept the tradition of randomly giving the Ranger class to NPC.

Oh! You're clearly a Barbarian from Rashemen? RANGER!

Oh! You're just perfect for a Wizard Slayer... RANGER!

Oh! A soldier from an actual army... RANGER!

While the others are a bit off, I'd say Valygar being a stalker is pretty fitting. Magic runs in his family and stalkers get some mage spells. Wizard slayer would have worked too tho but he is a wildlife enjoying huntsman too, so I guess him being a stalker is most fitting.

I'll never understand why Minsc was not changed into a barbarian in BG2 when the class was introduced. Corvin I don't really have a comment on. I'm glad she's an archer instead of a fighter but it does seem a bit off.

she should have been an archer kit.

She is?
    ThacoBellDaevelon