Skip to content

How do a add a new party member mid game?

Hi, I remember for the original icewind dale you were able to remove, then add a new character in a character reformation screen. Is there a way to do this still in ee?
Torgrimmer

Comments

• Gulthias_AmarsonGulthias_Amarson Member Posts: 28
    So you're confirming you removed this function from single player games. Is there any chance we can get that back?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    don't add it back, it was lame.

people can just use the above method.
    RAM021
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

So you're confirming you removed this function from single player games. Is there any chance we can get that back?

Not removed, just didn't add it to the EE engine.
    RAM021Torgrimmer
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    Original Icewind Dale was actually the game that taught me the 'solo multi-player' trick in Baldur's Gate: launch a multi-player game, but keep it 'private' (put a password on it) and play by yourself, creating as many characters as you want to use. In the BGs, I usually have a sidekick to go along with charname. It can really help with the, "I need a good/evil thief/fighter/whatever" early in the game.

In IWDEE, you can manage a full party like the old days. Adding/replacing a character just requires a reload.
    RavenslightTorgrimmer
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    edited October 2018
    I agree, this feature should be restored to the games, especially if content packs like the Dice, Camera, Action pack are being sold. That way we can add the characters to the party during our game instead of at the beginning (or at a good point from a roleplaying perspective). Those who don't like it are totally free to not use it. Enhancing a game shouldn't mean losing existing features or content, just improving existing ones and adding new ones (give us back the original cinematics while you're at it!).
    Permidion_StarkTurd FergusonNeonfisk
  • MeandreMeandre Member Posts: 38
    macomeau said:

Original Icewind Dale was actually the game that taught me the 'solo multi-player' trick in Baldur's Gate: launch a multi-player game, but keep it 'private' (put a password on it) and play by yourself, creating as many characters as you want to use. In the BGs, I usually have a sidekick to go along with charname. It can really help with the, "I need a good/evil thief/fighter/whatever" early in the game.

In IWDEE, you can manage a full party like the old days. Adding/replacing a character just requires a reload.

Wish this would still be working exactly as it did in the original Icewind Dale, where I always played like this.

Unfortunately, due to the way pause the Enhanced Edition handles pausing the game in multi-player sessions, I find it disrupts the flow of the game too much (though I can see why it was implemented that way).

As such, I also use the method laid out by Jalily above, but I wish we could get the feature back to replace or swap characters more easily.
    Don't see what's supposed to be "lame" about that. :|
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2018
    I can't understand why this feature was removed from the single-player game or how removing it could be considered an 'enhancement'. I always play no 'Raise Dead' in my games and if a character dies I replace them with a new starting character. Having to start a multiplayer game so that I can do this is just annoying.
    DJKajuru
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it wasn't actively removed, it just wasn't reconstructed for the EE engine
    Torgrimmersemiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Yeah, they just ported IWD to the existing EE engine based on BG, which lacked that feature. Maybe re-implenting the behavior posed technical difficulties for IWD:EE.
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    Its good idea to restore and maybe add to BG too
  • 723wolf723wolf Member Posts: 14
    It looks like this old topic was bumped, but I agree with this, the loss of the ability to import/export characters is impactful on my play style from original IWD. I used to give my characters the first few levels and some gear, now I have to give them a bunch of gear from level 1 and have them gain their own levels. I have been doing speed runs on "Easy Mode" and then exporting characters for my "Heart of Fury" playthrough. Using this method I was able to create a 15 Swashbuckler/30 Fighter in less than a day.
    Neonfisk