Skip to content

Favourite area and least favourite area?

When you are playing BG:EE what is your favourite area and which is your least favourite? Which one do you always look forward to and which do you visit with a heavy heart?

Try to keep to one of each.

I'll get the ball rolling:

Favourite: The Gnoll Stronghold - I like Gnarl and Hairtooth, I like battling my way into the fortress against the gnolls plus you get a Tome (and Tomes are good).

Least Favourite: The Archaeological Site - The story of Brage's downfall is depressing (the poor bugger murdered his whole family) and when you get to the dig you end up killing a bunch of guys just because they have been driven insane. Plus you get ambushed by kobold commandoes. If I wasn't a completionist I would happily give the map a miss.
DJKajuru[Deleted User]StummvonBordwehrThacoBellJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I think that one of my favorite areas is Ulcaster . It's such a classic type of dungeon well fot for low level parties s2

Least favorite: Nashkel Mines , I don't mind doing them but it's a bit annoying .
    [Deleted User]Permidion_StarkThacoBell
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Permidion_StarkThacoBellraelcari
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    Favourite area is easily candlekeep catacombs: spiders, dopplegangers and ghasts - paired with deadly traps and epic loot. Thats how I like it and its classic dungeon crawling..

Least favourite is firewine. Like above stated its an annoying crawl in a deadly maze. Not worth the effort. There are some scrolls and potions which might warrant the effort - but in 98% of the times I steer clear.
    Permidion_StarkThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    Favorite: Lighthouse area - great enemies - fun little dungeon - great loot (Tome of CON!)

Least Favorite: Ankhegs north of the FAI - lethal on low level, annoying on high level. those shells are way too heavy, and I can't just leave them there! I generally hug the waterline to get through this area.
    [Deleted User]Permidion_Stark
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Favorite: Cloakwood Mines. There are some really great encounters in this dungeon. Some of them force you to fight a certain way (you'll have a hard time just going in and hacking apart that whole room filled with guards on the second floor unless you really know what you're doing).

It's also a great place for mods to put new encounters, because it's the only dungeon in the game where you could feasibly fight many human enemies of different classes and have them attack you on sight (without having to write dialogue or backstory for them).

Least favorite: All of the dungeons that are just a maze of little corridors without interesting rewards (Firewine Ruins, Ulcaster School, Ice Island, and Thieves' Maze).

Did you know that you will not find a single unique magic item that you can't get somewhere else (excluding quest items like Shandalar's Cloak) in ANY of these four levels?
    [Deleted User]Permidion_StarkThacoBell
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    Favourite area: Mutamin’s garden:
    There’s tons of XP to boot with all the basillisks hanging around the place, so I always associate it with exciting spikes in my character’s power. Also plenty of loot from Kirian’s party as well as Mutamin himself. Shar’teel is also an entertaining companion. And don’t think I forgot good old Korax (I wish he could be a recruitsble NPC).

Least favourite area: Area twice south of Beregost/North of Nashkel:
    This is the area where you find Colquette’s family amulet. Don’t like it because there is nothing to do there except for getting the amulet. The random hobgoblin settlement is a nuisance as well. I traditionally skip it by instead going to rescue Brage in order to get a free teleport to Nashkel.
    Permidion_StarkThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Favorite: Technically it's 9 maps and not 1 but I really like Baldur's Gate city :)

Least favorite: Thieves' Maze. Not really interesting and annoying with the poor pathfinding.
    Permidion_StarkThacoBellraelcari[Deleted User]
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Favorite: Baldur's Gate south. This section of the city is packed with interesting and innovative content.

Least favorite: "Maze" dungeons, with the Thieves' Maze probably the most tedious among them.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Favorite: Beregost - so many things to do packed in such a tiny town!

Least Favorite: Baldur's Gate City- too many things to do, too late in the game, too huge!
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]DordledumLoldrup
  • XanatosXanatos Member Posts: 47
    Probably Firewine Bridge for me. I really enjoy the encounter with Poe and always tip him for his services. Ruins and places I can really explore generally end up being my favorite.

Least favorite would be Nashkel Mines probably. It's never not felt like a chore.
    [Deleted User]Loldrup
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited November 2018
    Most favourite: the level of Durlag's Tower with the Wardens. I find it satisfying to solve all the riddles by completing the items or doing the tasks that they ask for.

Least favourite: the area in the far south-east of the worldmap where you get to carry the wounded Samuel to the Temple at the FAI, because besides this, some gibberlings and a hidden ring there's nothing there but for a Flaming Fist officer looking for the deserter, but even with an evil party I couldn't turn in Samuel, the only dialogue options I got where leaving him there or carry him to safety. Boring map, [*irony] the previous sentence is longer than all dialogue lines in that area combined [/irony].
    DordledumThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    That's probably part of the reason they stuck part of Dorn's quest there. I don't dislike the area since anything with worthy loot or exp is a good map in my books and that map has both (although the exp is actually turned in in FAI) but yeah, it's a bit barren.
    [Deleted User]
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262

Most favourite: the level of Durlag's Tower with the Wardens. I find it satisfying to solve all the riddles by completing the items or doing the tasks that they ask for.

Least favourite: the area in the far south-east of the worldmap where you get to carry the wounded Samuel to the Temple at the FAI, because besides this, some gibberlings and a hidden ring there's nothing there but for a Flaming Fist officer looking for the deserter, but even with an evil party I couldn't turn in Samuel, the only dialogue options I got where leaving him there or carry him to safety. Boring map, [*irony] the previous sentence is longer than all dialogue lines in that area combined [/irony].

Pretty sure you can turn him in but I think it depends upon the order in which you do things. If you talk to Samuel's wife first and refuse to help then it is impossible to turn him in to the flaming fist. I think if you agree to help and then talk to the flaming fist merc then you can turn him in and collect the reward. Not entirely sure about this but I think that's how it works.
    smyth25[Deleted User]Dordledum
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Lammas said:

Least favorite.. All of TotSC content honestly. I guess from the base game I'd say the 2 swordcoast maps between candlekeep and the lighthouse. In my first 2 EE runs I've made recently I never visited either and I never even unlocked the lower one on the map lol. Maybe I should start the game and just go to those maps to see what they contain.

EDIT: Scratch that. My least favorite area has to be Firewine ruins. A trapped maze with nothing but tight corridors that don't look and aren't the least bit interesting with unlimited kobold archers behind every corner. I just pop in from Jenkals house to kill the mages and skip the rest of this poor design for a dungeon everytime. Those ghosts and their armor can rot there for all eternity for all I care.

Well, shows how "much" I've appreciated the coastline south of Candlekeep in years as I now decided to scout those maps only to realize that there wasn't even a second unnamed coastline map there like I remembered, heh. The place was still pretty annoying with 3 sirines, carrion crawlers, a lot of the tougher wolves and an ogre patrol but it looks like Shoal no longer kills whoever talks to her which is a great fix to one of the stupidest things I can think of in the original.

One of the ogres also dropped me a Knock scroll which I'm unsure if that has always been there or if it has been added there or if I just got lucky with a random drop. If that is always there then that would change my approach to small party / solo runs a little I think. That Shoal change alone made me appreciate the place a lot more than before however. I might actually start going there instead of just steering clear of the place in the future.
    StummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Favorites:

Dungeon: first underground level of Durlag's Tower (wardens). Feels deadly and eerie.
    Urban: Baldur's Gate, entry area (with the magic shop)
    Wilderness: Ankheg Area, N of Friendly Arm Inn

Least Favourite:

Dungeon: Firewine ruins (all those narrow corridors)
    Urban: Nashkel (not bad, just not much going on)
    Wilderness: nothing too bad, really. The Xvart village is a bit boring in my opinion.
    StummvonBordwehrDaevelonThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Lammas said:

First things that come to mind for favorite are BG east and Beregost but for something out there I guess I'd go with SW of Nashkel. Nice foresty map with a couple of fights and good loot, a pretty fun quest and a hidden cloudkill to boot. And there's Larry, Darryl & Darryl who I always go say hi to, even though I don't understand what reference their appearance is making.

Least favorite.. All of TotSC content honestly. I guess from the base game I'd say the 2 swordcoast maps between candlekeep and the lighthouse. In my first 2 EE runs I've made recently I never visited either and I never even unlocked the lower one on the map lol. Maybe I should start the game and just go to those maps to see what they contain.

EDIT: Scratch that. My least favorite area has to be Firewine ruins. A trapped maze with nothing but tight corridors that don't look and aren't the least bit interesting with unlimited kobold archers behind every corner. I just pop in from Jenkals house to kill the mages and skip the rest of this poor design for a dungeon everytime. Those ghosts and their armor can rot there for all eternity for all I care.

The ghosts have useful duplicated items that can be stolen. Beyond that I'd have to agree with you. I rarely ever do that maze myself.
    JLee