Skip to content

Reputation Management (Evil)

So I'm playing through with an evil party, and trying to really buy into the ethos of it with how I play the game. But a lot of quests give reputation points, and I can think of at least one (Cloakwood) that gives 2. Is there a better way than killing an innocent before gathering rewards? Specifically for cloakwood, is there an option to not save the miners and therefore forfeit the reputation gain? Thanks guys

Comments

• DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    I think you can just not talk to Rill? and drown the lot of them
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    If you do not save them, your reputation takes a dip (-2) instead after the mines afaik. Oh, and you could always slay someone worthwhile
    like Drizzt
    to bring your reputation down.
  • ShashakiroShashakiro Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2018
    If you're really trying to have an 'evil' ethos, this really shouldn't be a problem.

Follow these rules:

1. Take whatever you want from containers no matter who's watching
    2. Whenever the Flaming Fist try to arrest you, kill them
    3. Whenever the Flaming Fist attack, kill them

If you do this consistently your rep will hardly ever rise above 1.

(And yes, as others said, you can let the slaves/miners die, too.)
  • XanatosXanatos Member Posts: 47
    Well, I should clarify neutral evil. So obeying rules until there's incentive not to. I've slain several innocents already that had things i wanted and one for Xzar's quest specifically. Good to know about the mine thing though I appreciate that bit of information.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    make sure to note, that as soon as your REP goes below 10 items in stores will become more expensive and if your REP is 1 there will be a 1000% mark up on prices, and your REP can be as low as 6 any lower and flaming fist mercenaries will come at you every once in awhile ( more often the lower your REP is )
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    My favorite is to add the mod BGNPC1 Project and make use of the Bardic Reputation Adjustment.
    The BG1NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment
    This component places three Bards in three inns scattered on the Sword Coast. Each can be hired to spread your fearsome reputation around, decreasing your reputation. The amount of money this costs is dependent on your current reputation. This allows players to manipulate reputation both upwards through temple donations, and downwards through the spread of rumors (for those of us who hate killing an innocent just to keep neutral NPCs happy).
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,313
    If you want to fine-tune your reputation, e.g to reduce it to 9 in order to get an evil Bhaal power, you might want to get caught stealing in order to reduce it just by 1 rather than killing something.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Zaghoul said:

My favorite is to add the mod BGNPC1 Project and make use of the Bardic Reputation Adjustment.

The BG1NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment
    This component places three Bards in three inns scattered on the Sword Coast. Each can be hired to spread your fearsome reputation around, decreasing your reputation. The amount of money this costs is dependent on your current reputation. This allows players to manipulate reputation both upwards through temple donations, and downwards through the spread of rumors (for those of us who hate killing an innocent just to keep neutral NPCs happy).
    I use that too, it's very useful.

But, although not sure how it works, the Bards can only be used limited times and then they disappear.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Yeah, they do seem to leave. I have found one exception to that though, the bard down at the Belching Dragon in Nashkel. I think that is due to him being close to the door, as I can have him adjust rep and leave so quick afterwards (being closer to the exit than any of the other bards) that he himself never gets the chance to leave.
    That's what it seems like anyway, but if I wait too long after so many tries I have had him leave.

@AstroBryGuy Any thoughts on that as far as the number of times a bard can be used to adjust alignment?