Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Huzzah! I actually finished the game. Man that last segment was a real slog. I got tempted to drop the difficulty, but managed to get through the whole thing on normal. Greater Shout is one of the most awesome spells in the game! I'm not sure what all the other ending options were, but mine was good overall, well in my favor at least, I was evil after all. I did manage to get to level 17 in the last chunk of the game. So you can plan builds to get to at least there with a 6 person party on normal if you do everything.
    bleusteel
    Oh, so in case anybody needs it, here's how I won the final battle, obviously big time spoilers

For me it was the lantern king, I heard there are different endings, so you might not have to fight him like I did, and the battle might be different. I heard Nyrissa can either help or hinder you during, but I killed her, so she wasn't a factor.

Like I said Greater Shout is awesome! The only way I was able to win was by using it on the lantern king to stun him. Even if they make their save, they're stunned. In that last wave I had to make sure to hit him and the wild hunt monarch with it, and kill the wild hunt monarch first, of course. Octavia only had 3 castings of it, so had to make sure to hit the real lantern king during each of the first 3 phases of the fight. The last phase was stupid easy, just had Harrim throw down protection from fire and beat on him. The other phases can be stupid hard if you don't manage to stun him with a greater shout, as he just spams dispels and insta-kills the whole time.

I love this game so much I already started my lawful evil Infernal Sorcerer run. I went 8/16/10/10/10/20, started with skill focus persuasion (clearly intent on making all those persuasion checks and totally makes sense for a devil), combat casting and spell focus universalist. At 4th level I've got dodge and greater spell focus universalist. I went with color spray, shield and Ear Piercing Scream for level 1 spells, I picked boneshaker for my level 2 spell, since I'll get scorching ray at level 5 anyways. Right now I've got Valerie, Amir, Jaethal, Harrim and Octavia. I'm not sure who I want to swap out for Nok-Nok, when I get him.
    bleusteel
    chimaera said:

@DrHappyAngry
    What does spell focus universalist even do? I don't recall any universal school spells in the game, neither arcane nor divine.

Adds +1 to the difficulty of all saves against all your spells.
    chimaera said:

chimaera said:

@DrHappyAngry
    What does spell focus universalist even do? I don't recall any universal school spells in the game, neither arcane nor divine.

Adds +1 to the difficulty of all saves against all your spells.
    But that's the thing, universalist is apparently a specific spell school in Pathfinder, just not implemented in game. When I tested this spell focus (admittedly a few hotfixes go), it didn't do anything for spell dc of other spell schools.
    Ugh, I might be out a feat then. Might be time to look at a save game editor to make that more useful. May switch over to necromancy.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Anyone can help me? I an walking Pitax all day and no clue about WHERE I FIND della fiorni(octavia mother?). This parts that the game forces you to be able to foretell what to do are very annoying, and i found no information about her. I need find her for a Octavia companion quest, where on Pitax she is???? I already walked everywere and searched a lot on google and duckduckgo. Is too hard to find her.

---------------------

Anyway, finally the game din't bugged on Pitax. Reached lv 17 giving an book to pirates

My new city

lordkim
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2018
    Pathfinder is supposed to have some spells that belong in the "Universal" school. However, none of those spells are currently in the game...

I think the approach was to throw in everything they could from PnP, irrespective of if it actually any use...

To be fair, both Neverwinters included Spell Focus for schools that didn't contain any saving throw spells, ands was therefore utterly useless.
    Kamigoroshi
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited November 2018
    There's an debate about Spell Focus: Universalist going on at the official forum as well.

Another case of blind copy+paste is the mentioning of the not included Void Domain in Groetus' description and encyclopedia entries. And I believe there were numerous mentionings of Spiked Chains as well. Which I also do believe didn't make it into the game.

Anyone can help me? I an walking Pitax all day and no clue about WHERE I FIND della fiorni(octavia mother?). This parts that the game forces you to be able to foretell what to do are very annoying, and i found no information about her. I need find her for a Octavia companion quest, where on Pitax she is???? I already walked everywere and searched a lot on google and duckduckgo. Is too hard to find her.

---------------------

Anyway, finally the game din't bugged on Pitax. Reached lv 17 giving an book to pirates

My new city

When you enter the city, there should be 4 areas you can go into (like how the capital has the throne room, tavern and square). There's the square, the docks, the academy and her mom is in the fourth location. You select it from the mini map you're presented when entering the city.
    Thanks a lot. I an really bad at this type of things on RPGs. This is why i never finished BG but IWD i managed to solo the game.

Thanks a lot. I an really bad at this type of things on RPGs. This is why i never finished BG but IWD i managed to solo the game.

That's funny, I have the exact opposite problem. I've never finished IWD, but have finished the BG series numerous times. I just lose interest with the continuous dungeon crawls where to me it feels like nothing is happening.
    ThacoBell

That's funny, I have the exact opposite problem. I've never finished IWD, but have finished the BG series numerous times. I just lose interest with the continuous dungeon crawls where to me it feels like nothing is happening.
    The story of IWD is not bad. What i din't liked about BG 2(not BG 1 TBH) is that i expend much more time searching an lever to open an indestructible wood door and many times i got stuck into dungeons walking the same place over and over again...
    Ya, I just get to about the halfway point in IWD, and find I just don't care about what happens next enough to keep going. I've tried the original, the enhanced and the remake in NWN2, and still can't stay interested. I'm not having any difficulty issues, I just get bored.

I've been having a good time with my lawful evil sorcerer. I've got a good mix of direct damage and crowd control/debuffs. Glitterdust has been a lot of fun, just blinding mobs. The level 1 spell Ray of enfeeblement is a great crippler, since they still lose some strength even if they make the save. Lightning bolt is so much easier to aim in this game, too. I always had it do wacky stuff in the BG games, like go sideways after hitting an enemy and start bouncing around dangerously. The best part of being lawful evil is that you get both stocks and bulletin boards as buildings and they're supposed to stack from what i've been reading.

@SorcererV1ct0r You may want to change up your party before you set out for the last dungeon. you're going to have a really tough time...

if you have no one that can cast freedom of movement. You pretty much need that spell up on all party members for the entire last chunk of the game. It is kinda crap, but I can't picture getting through everything after without it. I also couldn't find anybody selling the scrolls.
    SorcererV1ct0r
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @chimaera For me, IWD's big flaw with the story isn't it's quality, its that it has NOTHING to do with my characters. The story just kinda happens around you, rather than you being a part of it.
    DrHappyAngrySorcererV1ct0r
    edited November 2018
    I already had a hard time this spell, was on (ancient curse pt 6 spoilers below)

The wild hunt, they can easily paralysis everyone and sneak attack to death almost everyone in few rounds. Fortnetly since they are fey, they have weak Fortitude save, so my 6 finger of death was pretty good against then despite the fact that some of then din't died in one spell, fortunately elementals are immune to paralysis and despite i don't having elementals to summon, my druid(Albedo) have a lot of then.

If i managed to reach lv 20, i will get One of Us, so immunity to cold, nonlethal damage, paralysis, and sleep, this means that at least my MC will not need freedom of moviment ( https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/undead-bloodline/ )

As for a good spell, i love Stormbolts, is CL * D8 damage and no risk of friendly fire https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/stormbolts/

Is just not recommended against warriors due the fort save but one or two casts can easily clear the map from stealth annoying enemies.

PS : What bloodline did you choose?
    ThacoBell said:

@chimaera For me, IWD's big flaw with the story isn't it's quality, its that it has NOTHING to do with my characters. The story just kinda happens around you, rather than you being a part of it.

I love IWD but i agree that is a HUGE flaw.

I already had a hard time this spell, was on (ancient curse pt 6 spoilers below)

The wild hunt, they can easily paralysis everyone and sneak attack to death almost everyone in few rounds. Fortnetly since they are fey, they have weak Fortitude save, so my 6 finger of death was pretty good against then despite the fact that some of then din't died in one spell, fortunately elementals are immune to paralysis and despite i don't having elementals to summon, my druid(Albedo) have a lot of then.

If i managed to reach lv 20, i will get One of Us, so immunity to cold, nonlethal damage, paralysis, and sleep, this means that at least my MC will not need freedom of moviment ( https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/undead-bloodline/ )

As for a good spell, i love Stormbolts, is CL * D8 damage and no risk of friendly fire https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/stormbolts/

Is just not recommended against warriors due the fort save but one or two casts can easily clear the map from stealth annoying enemies.

I know it's partially broken ATM, but infernal, I just like the idea of a lawful evil devil sorcerer, even though I know the +2 DC to charm doesn't do anything. They get some decent free spells and the call hellfire ability, too. Just picked up boneshatter, which seemed like a good pick, even if they make the save, they're fatigued.

Ya, you're going to fight tons and tons of mobs of wild hunt scouts and archers. Good do know elementals aren't affected by paralysis. I'd still be loathe to roll through without that freedom of movement, since the wild hunt is just a prelude to the crazy sized mobs of those guys, even worse when they're led by a wild hunt monarch that you have to kill before any of the others are killable.

I know it's partially broken ATM, but infernal, I just like the idea of a lawful evil devil sorcerer, even though I know the +2 DC to charm doesn't do anything. They get some decent free spells and the call hellfire ability, too. Just picked up boneshatter, which seemed like a good pick, even if they make the save, they're fatigued.

Ya, you're going to fight tons and tons of mobs of wild hunt scouts and archers. Good do know elementals aren't affected by paralysis. I'd still be loathe to roll through without that freedom of movement, since the wild hunt is just a prelude to the crazy sized mobs of those guys, even worse when they're led by a wild hunt monarch that you have to kill before any of the others are killable.
    They are immune AT least according to reddit, my experience and pnp rules but even with then, the fight was hard, don't know if they are immune to just spells or abilities too ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/9sglmi/huge_water_elementals_very_tough/ )

Anyway, will you fight an (spoiler - end game)

I saw one of then in a cutscene.

They are immune AT least according to reddit, my experience and pnp rules but even with then, the fight was hard, don't know if they are immune to just spells or abilities too ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/9sglmi/huge_water_elementals_very_tough/ )

Anyway, will you fight an (spoiler - end game)

I saw one of then in a cutscene.
    Ya, you fight a few of those. I just keep thinking of Through The Looking Glass whenever I come across them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

You may want to change up your party before you set out for the last dungeon. you're going to have a really tough time...

if you have no one that can cast freedom of movement. You pretty much need that spell up on all party members for the entire last chunk of the game. It is kinda crap, but I can't picture getting through everything after without it. I also couldn't find anybody selling the scrolls.

There is a simple weapon, the Mallet of Woe, that grants continuous FoM.

chimaera said:

ThacoBell said:

Which is why I prefer it. Stories that focus solely on the main character need to be carefully balanced in just how much attention you give to them, in my opinion. Towards the end of the saga, with the divine interventions, solar being your personal messenger of gods etc., BG2 made the Bhaalspawn look too much like a Mary Sue for my tastes.

edit: A game that managed that balance for me was Arcanum, which starts with the usual 'you are the chosen one' trope, but then turns it around.
    On Arcanum is not clear if you are the chosen one or not. Some people believe on prophecies and some wont. I play mostly as a caster on RPG's, because stop time and make rain meteors > swing an piece of metal but on Arcanum is steampunk grenade launcher VS fireball... Anyway, i LOVED that on P:K you are not the chosen one, you are just one guy solving complex mysteries on a cursed land.

Is a story that makes sense for a chaotic good and a lawful evil MC.
    Fardragon said:

You may want to change up your party before you set out for the last dungeon. you're going to have a really tough time...

There is a simple weapon, the Mallet of Woe, that grants continuous FoM.

It only grants it to one party member, though. You'll be dealing with mobs of wild hunt scouts spamming their crystal ability on all your guys.
    edited November 2018
    We should get out of the spoiler tags and start talking about our favorite spells, feats and abilities.

Shield - Lasts a minute per level, so you won't use it too much early on, but once you've got some levels, mages and magi should always have it up. Since it counts as a shield AC bonus, it won't stack with a shield, but stacks with armor, bracers and natural armor.

Mirror Image - Good chance to completely avoid hits. Same with shield, it lasts only a minute per level, but after awhile you can walk around with it up almost all the time.

Glitterdust - Blind mobs and prevent stealth/invisiblity.

Heroism - +2 morale to attack is nice, but this spell also works great out of combat and gives you a +2 to skill checks, so it can help with picking locks or even persuasion. Lasts for hours. The greater version's +4, but only 1 minute/level.

Haste/Slow - Great buff/debuff. Extra attacks for you, less attacks for the enemy. Useful pretty much the whole game.

Boneshatter - OK single target damage, but if they fail their save they're exhausted (-6 to strength and dex as well as slowing movement) and even if they make the save, they're still fatigued (-2 to strengh and dex) and take half damage.

Delay Poison, Communal - The name's a bit misleading, but it completely prevents poison effects while it's up, and it lasts for hours. You can walk around with it up all the time.

Protection From Energy, Communal - You get to specify energy type at casting, so a great on the fly spell when an alchemist is throwing bombs at you or other enemies that cause specific damage types.

Prayer - +2 bonus to hit for you and -2 for your enemies in the area. Pretty much supplants bless/bane, as it's better and all in one spell.

Stoneskin - Soaks up damage. Only downside is it requires diamond dust. Communal version's awesomer, but needs 10 diamond dust.

Chain Lightning - Great damage to lots of enemies with no friendly fire.

Legendary Proportions - Better than a enlarge person and no downsides. Lasts for awhile too.

Greater Shout - So awesome, even if they make the save, they still can't do anything for a few rounds. It's a cone too, so can hit lots of enemies. Would still be awesome even if it did no damage.

Charge - A sweet ability that anyone with a melee weaon can do. You move faster and get a +2 to hit. It's a great opener to have all your frontliners charge one or two enemies, sometimes they'll just chunk them both on the first turn. Even lets heavy armor users move faster. It's also a great way to get your tank way out in front to pull aggro.

Cleaving finish - Works like cleave from the NWN games, free attack when you kill something.

Outflank - It's a big investment, since you need to get it on multiple people to work, but they'll all get +4 to attack when ganging up on one guy in melee.

Manyshot - Great for rangers, it's like making your first attack 2 attacks.

Most of the feats I tend to take are small but add up, like armor focus, dodge, shield focus, piranha strikes/power attack, weapon focus, improved critical, etc. You always need some of the less flashy spells like the various restorations, healing (but clerics can spontaneously convert, so no point in them memorizing a healing spell).
    Post edited by DrHappyAngry on
    bleusteelFardragon
    It should perhaps be noted that Charge gives -2 to AC, and the character doesn't move until their initiative point, so you probably won't want to use for your main tank.

I make a lot of use of fighting defensively.
    Fardragon said:

It should perhaps be noted that Charge gives -2 to AC, and the character doesn't move until their initiative point, so you probably won't want to use for your main tank.

True it gives a -2 to AC, but if you use it as an opener it's great on a tank, it puts them right up there from the beginning of the fight and draws the aggro. Using it for an opener before the fight has actually started lets them do it without actually waiting for an initiative roll.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Fardragon said:

True it gives a -2 to AC, but if you use it as an opener it's great on a tank, it puts them right up there from the beginning of the fight and draws the aggro. Using it for an opener before the fight has actually started lets them do it without actually waiting for an initiative roll.
    I can't get this to work more than half of the time. The other half they just stand around or the nothing happens when I click Charge. Oddly enough it works for Amiri a lot but not for Valerie. At first I assumed it was something weird with the distance since I have Amiri set up further behind, but even from >10 distance, Valerie still ends up standing still a lot or just slowly walk towards the enemy instead of charging. Same with my fighter charname, works poorly with him too.