Skip to content

Enemies surround you when you are hidden

Recently I have been playing as a Fighter/Thief and have discovered the delights of hiding in the shadows and backstabbing my enemies. However, the behaviour of hostile creatures does seem odd when you are hidden. Basically, even if you move away they make a bee-line for you and stand right next to you. When you are only fighting one or two enemies this is actually quite convenient because it saves you the effort of sneaking up on them; they form a nice orderly queue and wait to get backstabbed. However, it can also lead to situations where you end up being totally surrounded by enemies and unable to move.

This happened to me recently in a fight in Degrodel's house in Baldur's Gate. I provoked Degrodel to make him turn hostile and then instantly used the Sandthief's ring to turn invisible. However, I found myself completely surrounded by the creatures he summoned so despite the fact that I was invisible and wearing a cloak of non-detection everyone in the room knew exactly where I was.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else thinks this is a problem. Would it be better if hostile creatures stopped moving towards hidden characters?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I haven't come across that behavior in unmodded BGEE (though I have in SoD). What version of the game are you running?
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited November 2018

Recently I have been playing as a Fighter/Thief and have discovered the delights of hiding in the shadows and backstabbing my enemies.

I feel you ;)

Basically, even if you move away they make a bee-line for you and stand right next to you. When you are only fighting one or two enemies this is actually quite convenient because it saves you the effort of sneaking up on them; they form a nice orderly queue and wait to get backstabbed. However, it can also lead to situations where you end up being totally surrounded by enemies and unable to move.

Actually i notice that the enemies always try to reach the point where the character disappear but after that they don't follow it around; seems weird that they keep following someone they don't see.
    I'm using the last version of the game, unmodded, and i play with a fighter/thief myself; i had fun backstabbing almost the whole bandit camp with my character.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited November 2018
    Grond0 said:

I haven't come across that behavior in unmodded BGEE (though I have in SoD). What version of the game are you running?

I'm running the latest version using the SoD launcher. (I am using a few mods from the Tweaks Anthology but there is nothing I would have thought would have a bearing on this).

Sometimes enemies behave as @Daevelon describes and they stop where you disappear but most times they follow you all over the map. At present my character is wearing Paws of the Cheetah so she runs away, finds some shadows, hides and waits. Enemies will show up very quickly (it feels like they cross the map faster than they should but I could be wrong about that). Inside buildings it is particularly frustrating because you can find yourself getting blocked into a corner by enemies who should have no idea you are there.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    "Enemies shouldn't chase indefinitely after Player1 if they don't see any targets" was fixed for BG:EE, BGII:EE, BG:SoD as a part of the 2.5 patch.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

"Enemies shouldn't chase indefinitely after Player1 if they don't see any targets" was fixed for BG:EE, BGII:EE, BG:SoD as a part of the 2.5 patch.

I'm playing v2.5.17.0 and they are definitely surrounding me. They just brought my no reload run to and end in Degrodel's House (though I may not 'take it' if they were cheating!)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    My experience is that enemies run to the spot where you disappeared but also follow you until YOU stop. Then after you stopped and the reach you, you can safely move away again and backstab. So they follow you as long as you keep on moving hence I usually ran a few feet, stopped, let them reach me and stop themselves, then moved again to circumvent this behavior. I've never been fully surrounded though and I don't think enemies have kept following me even after moving a second time.

Hypothetically this would have been perfect that they could if your move silently wasn't high enough, say if you used the invisibility spell instead of thief move silently, becaue enemies could still hear you. I don't think the game is this advanced though.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Skatan said:

My experience is that enemies run to the spot where you disappeared but also follow you until YOU stop. Then after you stopped and the reach you, you can safely move away again and backstab. So they follow you as long as you keep on moving hence I usually ran a few feet, stopped, let them reach me and stop themselves, then moved again to circumvent this behavior. I've never been fully surrounded though and I don't think enemies have kept following me even after moving a second time.

I agree with this and that does mean that it can be necessary to start and stop a number of times if there's a group chasing you (as the first of the enemies stops when they get to you and the others often can't then get around them in order to get close enough to end their chase). If enemies are chasing beyond this behavior though I suspect there is a problem with your installation or mod interference.