Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @Wise_Grimwald were you a solo thief, Wise? Solo thiefs can have a heck of a time at low levels. Toe-to-toe is a no-go against strong melee enemies, but if there's no maneuvering room can be tricky. I don't know Gnarl's level, but if he's lower than level 5 then he might be a good candidate for the sleep wand.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited November 2018

@Wise_Grimwald were you a solo thief, Wise? Solo thiefs can have a heck of a time at low levels. Toe-to-toe is a no-go against strong melee enemies, but if there's no maneuvering room can be tricky. I don't know Gnarl's level, but if he's lower than level 5 then he might be a good candidate for the sleep wand.

She was an illusionist/thief. She had done very well against ankhegs and other powerful enemies such as Vax and Zal, by summoning weasels and using her bow. The weasels do little damage, but keep the enemy distracted.
    I thought, why not use the same tactics here? However Gnarl just ignored them and went straight for her.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Does anybody of you beat the game on SCS, Ascension, Atweak, Item Revisions, Spell Revisions and Refinements? ToB part of the game must be extraordinarily difficult. Facing all the demons who can dispel magic at will and gate strong reinforcements.
    Blackraven
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    velehal said:

Does anybody of you beat the game on SCS, Ascension, Atweak, Item Revisions, Spell Revisions and Refinements? ToB part of the game must be extraordinarily difficult. Facing all the demons who can dispel magic at will and gate strong reinforcements.

I've had several attempts with this install (I revise kits as well, but whatever). Best I could do is Odamaron battle in Sendai's enclave. Party was f/m/c, archer, sorcerer and shaman. Wiped in cca 5 rounds...
    I had this recorded on Youtube. It was w/o ATweaks.
    With it, the Drow party just outside the entrance to Odamaron's lair. Iirc, I've had about 7-8 Cornugons teleporting to back line and ripping Aerie and Xan to shreds....fun times...
    I don't think anybody has done it yet..but I will!
    BlackravenGrond0CrevsDaak
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996

She was an illusionist/thief. She had done very well against ankhegs and other powerful enemies such as Vax and Zal, by summoning weasels and using her bow. The weasels do little damage, but keep the enemy distracted.
    I thought, why not use the same tactics here? However Gnarl just ignored them and went straight for her.
    Ah. Maybe web or blindness might have been more effective - blindness lasts for 100 rounds after all!

Corey
    Blackraven

Tried another run with Sharsteal. Ended with her being one-shotted by an ankheg after killing three of them. :( If she had survived that one she would have levelled up.

If you are solo, protection from acid scroll while taking on ankhegs is a good idea. Thalantyr should have one.

EDIT: Also, their acid attack counts as a missile. This means you should wear all things that reduce chance of missile damage, such as cloak of displacement or boots of avoidance. And if you get within melee, you want girdle of bluntness, as their melee counts as blunt.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately only had the girdle of piercing. I could have had the scroll though.

I am still trying to get to grips with the summon weasels spell. I think that what is happening is that the enemies home in on the first enemy that they see.

This is fine when the first enemy is the weasels, but if the weasel spell runs out, then they home in on the PC even if the next spell puts them between the enemy and the PC.

With Sharsteal who has an invisibility spell due to being svirfneblin, I think that I need to use that smartish, or hide smartish before the acid attack comes. I can then summon some more weasels in safety.

For the successful attacks on them I had managed to move away before my summons disappeared which is probably why I wasn't attacked before a second summons spell was cast.

For a first level spell, summon weasels is usually highly effective, but I need to learn its limitations.

Without it I wouldn't have considered taking on ankhegs with a level 1 mage/level 2 thief. However the fact that I killed three of them without injury indicates that my tactics just need refining somewhat.

I will investigate further.

Thanks for the suggestions, some of which are applicable to my situation, though some weren't.
    BlackravenStummvonBordwehrGrond0Corey_Russell
    @Blind_Visionary A potion of oil of speed also makes them effectively last longer.

I also use oil of speed for making thieving enhancement potions last longer, if not in time, in how large an area you can clear the traps/unlock chests. (I don't bother collecting the loot until later as I don't want to waste the time when the buffs are active in performing tasks that can be done later)
    Blind_VisionaryStummvonBordwehrAerakarCrevsDaak