Skip to content

Any way to Buff Vicky in this one?

I'm new to SOD but have played BG 1 and 2. From that, I've become a pretty avid Viconia fan.

In those, I would generally find a strength item, get her good armor and a shield and then a good cleric weapon and let her join the front lines.

Seems to be more of a challenge here in SOD.

Aside from the temporary spell buffs, any kit available to pump up those delicate Drow muscles of hers a bit in SOD ?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if you hold onto the gauntlets of ogre power and/or the belt of 19 STR from rasaad's quest in bg1, you can import those items over to SoD and give her one of those
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddess
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    My previous play throughs were on IOS and now I am on Android so I think the export / import option is out the window for me here.

Thanks for your input regardless.

I'll also take that as confirmation that there are no "native" strength items in SOD ?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    DonCzirr said:

My previous play throughs were on IOS and now I am on Android so I think the export / import option is out the window for me here.

Thanks for your input regardless.

I'll also take that as confirmation that there are no "native" strength items in SOD ?

ah, i thought you were starting in bg1 first before going into SoD, if done that way, then when your character comes over to SoD you can have just had those items in your inventory at the time

and as far as strength items in SoD im not 100% sure if there is, since i've only played SoD twice
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I don't think there is much. There is the Uncursed Staff, a +1 staff that gives you 18 STR, but this is basically useless because it also lowers your Thaco by 2 and only does 1D6-2 damage. If you equip her with it she will be able to wear decent armour but she will be stuck with using a lousy weapon.

It might work if you put the staff in one of her weapon slots and then give her a better weapon to use in the other weapon slot. It may be that she will keep the STR bonus even though she is not actually swinging the staff. I haven't actually tried this and I am not sure if it would work.

Worth a look Permidion .... thanks.

If not, I may need to use her more in the back lines for casting and slings ...

Not so happy about that option - as good front line tanks in this installment seem quite scarce.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Minsc is a good tank. You could build him for that role.
    Yep - got him - but I usually like to go with 2 tanks in the front. One more of a damage dealer and the other as a true tank.

At the moment I have:

me (Sorcerer)
    Minsc
    Dynaheir
    Viconia
    Safana
    and for now, Corwin

I intend to swap out Corwin as soon as Dorn is available ... but for now her ranged stats seem nice.

Perhaps I'll just have Vicky whip up a couple of skels to bolster the front lines till Dorn comes onboard .....
    edited November 2018

I don't think there is much. There is the Uncursed Staff, a +1 staff that gives you 18 STR, but this is basically useless because it also lowers your Thaco by 2 and only does 1D6-2 damage. If you equip her with it she will be able to wear decent armour but she will be stuck with using a lousy weapon.

It might work if you put the staff in one of her weapon slots and then give her a better weapon to use in the other weapon slot. It may be that she will keep the STR bonus even though she is not actually swinging the staff. I haven't actually tried this and I am not sure if it would work.

Sadly - this does not work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Seems Viconia will use some Skels to help Minsc hold the front line and use slings and spells in the 2nd rank in this game.

Buff -> equip better armor > lose buff -> old armor -> rinse / repeat gets a bit tedious.

Beamdog - any chance of putting a true strength item or 2 in the game ?

It would allow for some additional tactical versatility ....

Update Nov 1, 2018 : Got her to - 10 basic AC after doing some quests / fighting some foes that yielded some nice light weight armor.

Combine that with her strength spells and she's now, once again the plucky Drow DEX Tank of my dreams ;)
    Post edited by DonCzirr on
    Permidion_Stark
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    RASAAD: Theres lots of strength and defense/invulneravility potions for sale in SoD , and you'll get enough money to buy them so that's basically enough to keep rassad good enough for tanking.
    Thanks for the tip on Rasaad but I've never been a fan of consumable based tanks. Seems more like a job than fun.

I would play Rasaad if Beamdog would give him some quests to make him more viable via kit - or even better - through enlightenment etc ...

As it stands now, for Viconia, the -10 is permanent so I have her up there with Dorn and Minsc in the front lines. When there is a really tough enemy, she just pops out some divine favor spells and is then very well set to engage in melee ....
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Combine the staff with Draw Upon Holy Might. At level 9, that's 1d6+6 base damage, or 16 damage flat with Righteous Magic on top.