Skip to content

Offline Neverwinter

Excuse me Please:

I have recently been enjoying the way better graphics and stabilities of NWN:EE.
I have found the the client does indeed allow for "offline" mode after its initial connection; However, Neverwinter shows itself UNAVAILABLE.

Might there be a reason for that?
and how interesting that access to the Internet is sooooooooooooooooo taken for granted.
Please advise how to configure NWN:EE that it also will be usable offline, disconnected from the Internet, Standalone. (or since all the files are downloaded, how to just access NWN:EE directly without the client.)

Thank you kindly for the time taken to reply.
Cey.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hello! Please try launching NWN:EE from the .exe file directly (without running the Beamdog Client).
  • CeyarrecksCeyarrecks Member Posts: 44
    edited November 2018

Hello! Please try launching NWN:EE from the .exe file directly (without running the Beamdog Client).

Thank you. heh, should have been obvious to me; glad not to be locked into a client just to launch NWN:EE.
    However, upon launching nwmain.exe in the 00785 directory, I receive a "hard crash."
    so will submit the requested info to redmine.... /shrug

edit:
    oh, yet another register and login? nm.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    To begin with, I did not install OpenAL. (in researching the program, no need to change sound that is already working) and NWN:EE works flawlessly when the client is used to launch. Running the nwmain.exe directly is what caused the crash.

here is the text from the .log, which mentions nothing about AL,...

=== Crash
    What you see below is debug info that will help us fix a crash you have
    encountered. Please create a new public ticket for NWN on

http://redmine.beamdog.com

and attach all of it. This will help us figure out what went wrong.
    We can fix issues best when you include all relevant info that led to
    this crash so we can reproduce it - the more the better.

Thank you.
    === Props
    target = nwmain
    time = 1542206204
    exception = c0000005
    g_sBuildNumber = 8181
    g_sVersionNumber = 1, 0, 0, 0
    g_sGitCommit = f242628e
    &GenericCrashHandler = 00579A00
    === Backtrace
    0057A216
    00579CEF
    0057A1AB
    75F303B7
    77EC50D7
    77E89805
    === Minidump
    Minidump file has been written to C:\.....\Neverwinter Nights/nwmain-crash-1542206204.dmp.

=== End

Any insight from this log? (now that i have a fresh carafe of coffee ;) )
    Are you sure it's the correct .exe? Make sure the shortcut you have to the exe has the working directory set to where the exe is.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I gather it is an OpenGL driver issue that is causing a hard crash upon attempting to load the game due to not having the proper 3D drivers needed to display the game. Had the same hard crash myself after installing the game on a new machine and trying to get it to run. Installing the 3D drivers OpenGL provides, resolved my issue.

Of course, it could be something entirely different, but it helped me play the game.
    JuliusBorisov
    I thank everyone for their input; seems to me that the client Beamdog Client.exe branches cmd.exe, which cmd.exe branches to G:\Games\Never-EE\00785\bin\win32\nwmain.exe; I can play for hours in this setup with the online client launching NWN:EE first. I am looking for a means to be able to play NWN:EE entirely offline (connection to Internet being not guaranteed), when launching nwmain.exe, the crash,... /shrug.

The correct answer to the question I have since discovered is the following:

1. Make initial connection/log in with Client,
    1a. then with subsequent (off-line) launches, press the button [CONTINUE IN OFFLINE MODE]

2. Press the [OPTIONS] button, select Open Game Location from menu. {e.g. %\00785\bin\win32}

3. Launch nwmain.exe
    3a. keep Client running in background.
    3b. consider making shortcut to executable for easier launch in future.

4. Enjoy offline-playable Neverwinter Nights.

This process, however, is NOT intuitive via the Client, and it should be. Instead of [UNAVAILABLE], which is a lie, as though something is somehow catastrophically wrong, change the color of the button to indicate offline-playable.
    JuliusBorisov