Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[MOD] Bubb's Spell Menu (Update: v2.0!)

1235»

Comments

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 9,858
    edited October 2018
    Bubb said:

I might be wrong about this, but any mod that "un-alphabetizes" the mage book, in my mind, would also be purely visual. I don't think any sort of UI mod could affect how the engine restores memorization slots.

And yet, my experience is that is exactly what happens.

EDIT - sigh. Nope, at least now in 2.5.17, it restores whichever spell you clicked first to add to your memorized slots... problem is, with the UI alphabetizing them, you have no way of knowing which one you clicked first, unless you have a ridiculously good memory.

So, basically useless. And unfortunately it's the only way in-game to shift spells from unmemorized to memorized... :(

Post edited by subtledoctor on
  • raizoraizo Member Posts: 21
    Bubb, I hope you figure out how to make the mod work wit 2.5 patch. It has been a year and a half since my last playthrough. I would like to start a new one, but not without this mod. Especially the extended version.
    It is something I have been waiting for since the beginning. To have all the spells visible at once.

By the way, there are two more functionalities that would be very helpful. At least that is what I always wanted playing BG2 so many times.

1. To be able to know what spells enemies are under, without combing through the dialog box. Something like a pop-up on mouse hover?
    Just imagine, 5 cowled enforcers start their contingencies all at once. Then you have to comb through the dialog box to know which spell is whose.

2. To be able to cast selected spells before fight in one go. To put them in a queue and then start casting. Even better if the casting could be shorten to couple of seconds.
    Bubb your extended spell view would be ideal for this. Just press Ctrl or Shift, then select with a mouse all the spells that are needed and start casting.

I see, in your other thread, that you like to play with new functions. You think the above would be possible to code?
    Thanks for all of your work.

BrecherBubbGrammarsalad
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 377
    @raizo:
    I'm getting closer to having a working version finished; I can't say exactly when, but just know I'm still working on it. Thank you for sticking with me, and thank you for the compliments! :)

Also, those are really awesome ideas! Better yet... I think I already have most of what would be needed coded in my other thread - I think I'll include them in the next release.

GrammarsaladGusindaBrecher
  • sarge945sarge945 Member Posts: 7
  • raizoraizo Member Posts: 21
    @Bubb, I see in the other thread that you are making progress. I don't want to sound selfish, but wow, my dreams are coming true.

And regarding my second suggestion about queueing spells before casting, I have another crazy idea. Having two or three mages in a team is not so uncommon. What if you could select all of them, have extended view filter the spells that all mages have memorized and queue the spells for all selected mages? That would be awesome.

At that point an icing on a cake would be to have timers for active buffs (for team members of course). But, wouldn't that make things too easy?

Also, couple of posts above I read that you are directly modyfing exe files.
    So the mod is not intended for Linux.
    Is that correct?

Bubb
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 377
    @sarge945: This mod already supports IWD:EE, but I am currently behind on the current patch cycle; the next release will be what you are looking for.

@raizo: Again, great suggestions. I'll look into their feasibility. :)

While I am currently working with the Windows executable, I see no reason why I couldn't port my changes to the Linux and Mac versions when I'm done. (though, I don't have access to a Mac machine...)

I did a quick search and found the executable file formats for Linux (ELF) and Mac (Mach-O). Since I am working at the lowest level possible, I believe my overall code structure will still be valid for the other executables, I just have to map all static memory accesses and function calls to each platform's respective values.

It will take time to port, but I don't think it will take nearly as long as it does to actually come up with the functionality in the first place.

1235»