Skip to content

Stalker weapon proficiencies

I'm currently playing a Stalker through BG1 (whilst waiting for the 1.3 patch for BG2 on iPad) and thoroughly enjoying it.
I have the following weapon proficiencies:
Long Bow ++
Long Sword ++
Two Weapon Style +++

As I'm fast approaching level 6, I was wondering how to develop further weapon profs. I've gone down the route of flails in the past due to the cool flail in BG2, but that isn't a weapon that I can use for backstabbing.
Should I take points in dagger or short sword, as they make sense from a practical fighting perspective, and also provide the backstabbing bonus? Or are there other choices with more positive benefits?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I would go for scimitar or short sword so you could stick Blem or Kundane in your off hand for a bonus attack.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2015
    Alternatively, Quarterstaffs and, to a lesser degree, Clubs make solid backstabbing weapons that feature blunt damage.
  • lummoxybezlummoxybez Member Posts: 33
    A club would be a possibility, but the quarter staff would mean I ignore the 2-weapon style.
    Belm is probably favourite for the extra attack.

Thanks.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    All of the above are good suggestions. Katana is another alternative, just because of how awesome Celestial Fury is.
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    I enjoy having daggers with a stealth npc so I can get the dagger of venom for messing with mages.
    On a related topic, does backstabbing just take into account the first stealth attack, or all of the attacks in one round?
    My stalker has 5/2 attacks with two long swords for example. Are both the first two attacks at x2 damage?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    When you make a backstab attack, you make it only once (not all the attacks in one round) and with the weapon you have in the main hand.

So if you have a stalker with 5/2 attacks with two long swords, you'll backstab with the long sword that is in your main hand and only once.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    bengoshi said:

When you make a backstab attack, you make it only once (not all the attacks in one round) and with the weapon you have in the main hand.

So if you have a stalker with 5/2 attacks with two long swords, you'll backstab with the long sword that is in your main hand and only once.

I agree with this although I have seen my character appear to take a couple swings before where if he appears to miss the first attack the stealth doesn't break and then he gets the backstab on the next attack. Don't assume your backstab attempt has failed until you are again visible.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    You might want to pick Mace, Flail, Warhammer or Quarterstaff to get a weapon that deals crushing/blunt damage. It will really help you in BG2 when faced against certain enemies that are resistant or even immune to piercing and slashing weapons.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2015
    Blunt damage is indeed > *
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    bengoshi said:

@AHF You're talking about cosmetic (not actual) attacks.

You can turn them off if you type in your baldur.ini the following line:

'Program Options', 'Disable Cosmetic Attacks', '1',

This is possible both in BG2EE and IWDEE. The next patch for BGEE should make it possible for BGEE as well.

No argument. I just wanted him to understand that the opportunity for backstabbing is still there as long as the character hasn't broken stealth.
    All good help thanks.
    I think I will go with mace or flail for the bluntage.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

All good help thanks.
    I think I will go with mace or flail for the bluntage.

You'll find some amazing flails and warhammers in the game, but it's few and far between when it comes to good maces, but at the end of the day you should pick what you want for your character, we give advice here on the forum but only you can decide if you like the idea of slamming a mace, hammer or flail into someones head :wink:
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The fun thing about ranger and paladin proficiencies in BG1 is that you can afford to take less optimal ones for BG2, something builds like Fighter duals are typically loathe to do. Longsword and longbow are spectacular in BG1, less stellar in BG2, especially the bow, so take what will work. At this point, I agree that you would want to go with a bludgeoning weapon that will be good in SoA at this point, as you can get good enough LS options for backstabbing and general use (Namarra is a good backstabber obviously, especially for a Stalker who won't miss with a 'mere' +2 to hit). Maces have a good EE option, and good SoA boost via disruption. Flails get a beast of a weapon by ToB ofc, and the +3 is very solid in SoA. But maces have an edge in BG1/SoA, Flails in ToB, especially fairly late. Doing Abazigal before Sendai usually makes her enclave a walk in the park though, personal opinion.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    If you're going to play Siege of Dragonspear there are some very nice shortswords there.
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    AMP1972 said:

I like the ranger_stalker, as by whatever tweak or bug all my rangers must be good-aligned, and hence I imagine them alike counter-assassins & druid guerrilla...

Not a bug--in 2nd Edition D&D, Rangers had to be good aligned. They were like paladins for nature gods, like Chauntea.