Skip to content

Mercenaries of Sword Coast for EET?

Has anyone tried this mod? I tried searching these forums but there isn't a lot of talk about this mod or any of this authors mods. I'm going to try an install in a few weeks when a few other mods are updated as well. @Lassal is the name on SHS, not sure if it's the same for the beamdog forums.

The author has a few interesting mods.

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Very very poor. The NPCs that are made joinable have almost no content outside of extremely bland PIDs with horrible writing and... disturbing content. Would not recommend. An apt description would be "Ctrl-Q: The Mod", with delightful side content such as cannibalism and sex slavery.
  • AnprionsaAnprionsa Member Posts: 106
    @Artemius_I

Thats disappointing. Have you tried any of his other mods? Vampire World looked very fascinating.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2018
    If you're really desperate for a PC vampire... but it's implemented in a horribly clumsy way so don't expect anything amazing. And don't bother with the joinable NPCs.

I don't really try mods nowadays so much as investigate them, and regarding the author's work... the best thing I can really say is unfortunately nothing at all. All of his mods have a sort of wish-fulfillment sort feel to them with very little substance and they're not exactly subtle about it either.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    What's ctrl-Q mean? Quit to desktop?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    scriver said:

What's ctrl-Q mean? Quit to desktop?

WIth cheat codes enabled, pressing Ctrl+Q while the cursor is over a NPC will add them to the party.
  • LassalLassal Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2018
    The meaning of this mod was to have mercenaries like in POE. Later I added possibility to not kill some of NPCS, sacrifices and slavery system. Which can be not installed if disturbs. Sexual relations part is 18+ and if it disturbs someone, don't install it at all.

There are many separate parts of mod, don't install them all blindly, please.

These mercenaries are really Ctrl+Qed NPCs. They have end biographies, and that's all. I made it for strategy reasons and for role-playing their imaginable sides. For example, I don't kill Samia, and welcome her to party. I can imagine how she acts and what says. And there is not need for Ctrl+Qing her. That's all explaning why this mod exists.

I started modding about year ago and do it from time to time. Yes, that's why technical part may be considered bad. I do it alone and still learn.
    So really don't expect quality, I do it for fun.
    And English is not my native language.

If someone wants to make dialogues, clean English writings, I am open to collaboration. But it seems no one is interested in it, so it's just the way it is.

PS We are role-playing son of God of Murder. So no wonder that he/she/it can be role-played with such things as sacrifices, cannibalism, slavery, etc. In BG2 slavery exists. It's sad that there is no 3rd side as slavers and quests for them (except freeing or not freeing slaves in Copper Coronet).

PPS My mod is really bad and disturbing. So don't try it if you are not bothered with standart many-years polished by many people mods. And remember, that it's only player, who decides, kill NPCs, sacrifice them or sell to slavers. It's not me. You can attack and kill slavers, for example, if you don't like it. Or kill ogres or orcs instead of hiring them and feeding them with corpses. You can anytime kill or throw out any NPC.

@Lassal

Hey thanks for posting this! I hope some do collaborate as new mods are becoming more rare and having a new modder that is willing to try something new is always appreciated! So don't give up, I hope to see your mods improve over time.
  • BrokenkatanaBrokenkatana Member Posts: 47
    I'm not an EET player, so I haven't tried the mod. However I did glance at some of the files. I think the concept of being able to hire a mercenary is really cool. However slavery is a very tough nut to crack. I think something the mod lacks, unless I missed the files, is some sort of discussion between the regular NPCs about the use of slaves. Minsc would be totally against it, I imagine he would not stay in a party long that deals in slaves. Edwin might be for it acquiring slaves, but be against hiring mercenaries because of the long term financial cost of paying them. Characters discussing their views would really help flesh out the mod. You have a lot of possible mercenaries in the game, lowering the total number to maybe 5 and fleshing out those characters with some more banters might really add something. They don't have to have the banters of a regular NPC, it just might help give the characters more personality. Such as your character Rada might really like strawberries or Dita might have some interesting facts on your heritage. You have some interesting ideas, that was just my two cents.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    The mostly finished Aran Whitehand mod on G3 was a good example of this kind of interaction.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited November 2018
    I remember reading a walkthrough that was written in the Weimer period, where the author talked a bit about a 'mercenary mod'. The idea as I recall it was it had mercenaries that did not actually join the party. Instead, they followed you around like Afaaq, occupying ' extra members', but they each cost a certain amount of gold per day (similar to the might and magic series).

Something like that with convertible mercs would be awesome
    @Lassal

How are you doing with this overall? Need any testers? Or with any of your mods. They are very unique each one and definitely have a place (regardless of the criticisms).