Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Oh man, the load time to get to the main menu is so much faster after the 1.1 patch. Also the UI seems a lot more responsive.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Can't get two heritages now :(
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

Oh man, the load time to get to the main menu is so much faster after the 1.1 patch. Also the UI seems a lot more responsive.

This is true, and I think the game may finally be approaching a state where I will consider playing it soon, though I also may just wait until the DLC packs allow the level limit to be attained. The load times were just as bad as Pillars of Eternity was at launch, and I have everything on an SSD.
    Skatan said:

Fardragon said:

It should perhaps be noted that Charge gives -2 to AC, and the character doesn't move until their initiative point, so you probably won't want to use for your main tank.

I make a lot of use of fighting defensively.

True it gives a -2 to AC, but if you use it as an opener it's great on a tank, it puts them right up there from the beginning of the fight and draws the aggro. Using it for an opener before the fight has actually started lets them do it without actually waiting for an initiative roll.
    I can't get this to work more than half of the time. The other half they just stand around or the nothing happens when I click Charge. Oddly enough it works for Amiri a lot but not for Valerie. At first I assumed it was something weird with the distance since I have Amiri set up further behind, but even from >10 distance, Valerie still ends up standing still a lot or just slowly walk towards the enemy instead of charging. Same with my fighter charname, works poorly with him too.

Also true, and I found this just by picking a Warrior for the tutorial area and attempting it on nearly every fight. The abilities in this game are often poorly described or just don't execute correctly.
    The next time I see my friend who works for Unity, I will give him crap for not helping devs with the load times ;)
    edited November 2018

The next time I see my friend who works for Unity, I will give him crap for not helping devs with the load times ;)

The Unity engine gets shit on all the time, but I am starting to wonder whether the actual engine itself is at fault, or if it's simply the fact that because it is so comparatively easy to use to develop these games that it doesn't encourage proper optimization.
    ThacoBell

The Unity engine gets shit on all the time, but I am starting to wonder whether the actual engine itself is at fault, or if it's simply the fact that because it is so comparatively easy to use to develop these games that it doesn't encourage proper optimization.
    I think that maybe the case. I think they could do more to help the devs optimize the load times. I suspect the engine is capable of better load times, but the documentation isn't as accessible or well known.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    I played a lot of Unity games, Pathfinder Kingmaker have the longest loading time of then. And you can't manage your kingdom without a lot of loadings... About easy to use, productivity is the most important thing and Unity allow you to produce much with few resources/time.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

there's both but it's more the engine that's at fault because we forget how badly almost all games are optimized nowadays. so sometimes, when the engine is quite good, but optimization terrible (for example an unreal 4 engine game), the game may still run acceptably - not the case with Unity.
    Optimization is a good thing but can make something exponentially more costly. An small team developing for Windows, Mac and Linux, needs to use a lot of multiplatforms libraries or have a insane high developing cost. I don't expect then to make a very optimized game.
    So I was tinkering around in my head with some build ideas.

Scaled Fist 1 > Eldritch Scion 2 > Paladin 2 > Dragon Disciple. Could do Quarterstaff with flurry of blows, that might be fun. No armor, but take a race like Angelic Aasimar and get a nice bonus to AC from your Charisma bonus. Pretty similar by Scion/Paladin/Dragon Disciple build, but as a monk.

Rogue 1 > Eldritch Archer 4 > Arcane Trickster. Not sure how well this one would really work. I suppose even your acid cantrip could be thrown on an arrow every round, plus sneak attack. Definitely an elf for Dex and Int bonus.

Barbarian Invulnerable Rager shield basher. Sounds fun, but I don't think it'd be that great. Even a heavy shield is going to count as a full sized weapon and really drag down your attack. Plus, you need 15 Dex just to get two weapon fighting and 17 for improved. I think there were only 1 or 2 shields that helped with bashing, as well. I suppose light shield could work well, though, and finally somebody in the party would actually be able to use them.
    edited November 2018
    I've looked at the barbarian idea, and seems to me that the class benefits hugely from duel wielding. However, that means a high dex build (there are lots of "Agile" weapons in the game). In which case you really need to be straight barbarian rather Invulnerable Rager, for Uncanny Dodge.

Most other barbarian builds seem pretty sucky, although Armored Hulk is a useful one level dip.

Does flurry of blows work with non-fist weapons? Monk armor is actually really good, since it applies to all three ACs.
    DLC's announced

https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/3397298957556853383

New race? Tieflings, i don't have much interest on this race...
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited November 2018
    I just hope that Owlcat's tieflings won't end up with glowing hair, glowing eyes and glowing lipstick like their aasimar counterparts. But it was pretty forseeable that they'll do tieflings, considering the outcry for them in the extra race poll on their forums. Still, I really wish we'd see races endemic to the Pathfinder campaign... not just "recycled" D&D ones...

I'm digging the news of the upcoming Kineticist class though. The game really needed more occult classes.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    My race wish list is

1. Kitsune
    2. Catfolk
    3. Kobold
    4. Drow

I assume none of them will be in the game by the end though >_<
    I can't see kitsune or catfolk being included, since they need whole new models. Drow would be easy to add.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Catfolk is actually an possibility. At the very least one's shadowy silhouette was shown on the Extra Race kickstarter goal's banner. Cat ears, tail and paws included. Drows on the other hand may very well end up to be a no-go just like grippli (intellectual property issues).
    SorcererV1ct0r
    edited November 2018
    Nice, Tiefling was the race I was hoping for! Damn, now I'll have to play a Tiefling Infernal sorcerer. I'd really like to see some more prestige classes over more races, though.

Flurry of Blows works with any monk weapon, btw. So quarterstaves, kamas, and other weapons they're automatically proficient in. I have seen people claim quarterstaves do and don't work with it though, so need to test it. So for a one level dip, you get an AC boost, but can't wear armor, plus an extra attack each round. It also worked that way NWN2, so you could make some crazy dual wielding kama builds in that game. I'm sure you can in Kingmaker, too, but I didn't find many sweet kamas in it. A monk/knife fighter dual wielding daggers or sais could work really well I bet, take like 3 rogue levels so you can use dex for damage instead of strength and you're set. It apparently works with two weapon fighting, as well.

Edit. Just tried it, and it flurry of blows does work with a quarter staff. You don't see it as an ability anywhere you can activate, and it doesn't show another attack on your character sheet, but I'm attacking twice a round.
    Post edited by DrHappyAngry on
    There are magic sais in the game, and I think a couple of other exotic monk weapons that weren't in NWN.

I would like to see the Assassin PrC, and some of the faction specific ones (hellknight, mantis).

I would like the kinetisist and Oracle base classes, and the one that combines barbarian with sorcerer heritages.
    So the DLC breakdown seems to be one focused on companions, one that is story-focused, and what appears to be a randomly generated version of the Endless Paths. For $25, I can get behind that. At the very least, it guarantees the ability to max out your characters. The announcement is stunningly similar to how Pillars 2 presented their DLC plan (which, incidentally, is getting their last piece of content in about 3 weeks). Like with Pillars 2, I will now wait until the game is complete (so to speak) before really diving in. By April, the game should be in as good a place as it's going to be in.
    I honestly miss an undead based DLC, a ravenloft style.

Honestly, the most interesting "good" creatures are elves and most interesting evil creatures for me are vampires.
    Fardragon said:

There are magic sais in the game, and I think a couple of other exotic monk weapons that weren't in NWN.

I would like to see the Assassin PrC, and some of the faction specific ones (hellknight, mantis).

I would like the kinetisist and Oracle base classes, and the one that combines barbarian with sorcerer heritages.

Kinetisist is in the upcoming DLC with the Tieflings.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    Which DnD setting is the most similar to Pathfinder Kingmaker ?
    wildfire said:

Which DnD setting is the most similar to Pathfinder Kingmaker ?

Some people even call P:K as D&D 3.75 (since D&D 4e is trash)
    Think he meant setting not mechanics system. I suppose it's a little like forgotten realms. It is it's own thing, but does have a realms kind of feel to it.
    Golarion is a kind of Forgotten Realms mk2. More designed and polished, like an Apple version.

Fardragon said:

Kinetisist is in the upcoming DLC with the Tieflings.
    Yes, i've just seen that. The first two dlcs sound good, but the third one sounds like garbage so I won't be buying a sesson pass.
    Kineticist is basically a 3.5 warlock completely refluffed into a psionic class.
    Fardragon said:

Kineticist is basically a 3.5 warlock completely refluffed into a psionic class.

You are right. Honestly i think that a hell knight is better ( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight/ ) is very rare for me liking any melee class, i usually like play as arcane casters, mainly cuz while the lv 16 sorc is assuming dragon form, raising an undead/elemental army and wrecking havoc, the fighter is.... Swinging an piece of metal.