Skip to content

NWN:EE on Google Play feedback thread

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    From our devs:
    @Japualtah The best choice for Android is to use standard ETC2 compression inside a KTX container. TGA and DDS should both work but are not ideal due to memory and CPU issues.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Trasd This is the mother thread for all the NWN:EE Android feedback and questions. You are free to start other threads if you think you need them, for eg. to discuss Input cards for the mobile version.
  • TrasdTrasd Member Posts: 62

@Trasd This is the mother thread for all the NWN:EE Android feedback and questions. You are free to start other threads if you think you need them, for eg. to discuss Input cards for the mobile version.

Understood, and that is the problem! Everything Android is thrown into a melting pot of irrelevant information. Android (possibly all mobile) should have its own section as it differs from desktop NWN EE versions in many significant ways.

I think the same should be applied to other Beamdog titles, but those are to far entrenched already. If this is done for Android NWN at the beginning, it would be much easier to find relevant information.

Thanks.
  • rkp71rkp71 Member Posts: 16
    I agree Android should have it's own section as well. My lgk20plus with Android 7.0 is the one with cloak and robes and more graphic glitches. My Blu life one x2 runs Android 6.0.1 it looks really good on this phone but seems to crash loading towns alot in the persistent world's online I have tried. Both seem to crash from time to time but the entering or loading into towns the 2nd or 3rd time is for sure crash and reload.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,283
    Presumably Beamdog is still committed to backward compatibility, so I imagine that the call to ditch .dds will be politely ignored.

There are a few specific texture issues with the Android version, especially shiny water and tile magic, which I - and no doubt others - have reported.

Hiwever, there's no evidence of a general problem with .dds - on the contrary, the countless examples that do work tell us the exact opposite.
  • JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165

From our devs:
    @Japualtah The best choice for Android is to use standard ETC2 compression inside a KTX container. TGA and DDS should both work but are not ideal due to memory and CPU issues.

Sup Julius, I'm afraid I don't understand that, care to share some information ?
    At the moment, all my models design is made in Blender with TGA textures which I used to compress in DDS with Symmetric's (who is our 3D artist guru atm) NWCrunch.

I'm about to use the older NWN conversion tool, not got enought time get back at it still, but if there is some better way to do it, I'd like to know.

I'm not going to maintain a separate textures branch for PC and Android though, already got too much on my plate, I beg for mercy !
  • Hi. I'm new to forums. Don't know where to put this.

So admin, moderator, can you move this to the right area, if it isnt in the right area, needs to be moved to right area.

So I bought, downloaded the NVWNee game on google play, installed it on my LG Mobile Android Phone. Created character, then while in the academy, while playing it, the SMALL PAUSE BUTTON, next to the stealth button on the QUICK BAR, and next to the CHAT LINE WINDOW, the PAUSE BUTTON WOULD NOT WORK WHEN TRY TO TAP, CLICK IT.

When I tried to tap, click the pause button it would either misclick the stealth button or misclick the chatline window, open up the keyboard to chat type, or nothing would happen, or mis tap, move the character.

It took trying to tap, click, the pause button 25,50 times, over a 4 to 8 minute time period, to pause, then another 25 to 50 tries, 4 to 8 minutes to unpause.

PLEASE HELP!!

Is there a way for me to resize the pause button, move the pause button, move the chat line window, move the stealth button, move the quick bar?

Or can you guys do that in the next patch?

If cant pause by using the pause button, the game would be almost unplayable, and the harder battles would probably kill the character A LOT.

That might maybe make it so that I would have to uninstall, ask for a refund.

So please help.

I really want to play this game.

Thanks for any help.

Mike
  • rkp71 said:

I agree Android should have it's own section as well. My lgk20plus with Android 7.0 is the one with cloak and robes and more graphic glitches. My Blu life one x2 runs Android 6.0.1 it looks really good on this phone but seems to crash loading towns alot in the persistent world's online I have tried. Both seem to crash from time to time but the entering or loading into towns the 2nd or 3rd time is for sure crash and reload.

I also have that same mobile phone, that you have.

Are you having problems with the Pause Button(please see my post)?

Can you help me with my Pause Button Problem?

Other then that, having no problem so far. Seems to work just fine, so dont know why your having your problem, and why I am not having your problem.

@Asturonethoriusaline Try reporting the problem via our Service Desk to hear from the QA team directly.
  • @Asturonethoriusaline Try reporting the problem via our Service Desk to hear from the QA team directly.

Thanks. I did that. But had a problem doing that at first, because I signed up to Forums using my Google account. And when I went to the help, service, desk, put in my google email, password, the thing would recognize my google email, password. And then when I used the forgot password, even though it said it sent the password recovery to email, it wasnt in my google email. So I resigned up, and didnt use the the facebook, google, options, and instead, entered my google email, entered a password. Then was able to access, use the Help, Service, desk, just fine. Left a message. Now waiting to hear back from them.
    edited December 2018

From our devs:

Ok, tested a TGA texture converted to DDS with the Bioware DDS converter tool and my test model doesn't render on Android, so the problem doesn't come from whichever DDS converting software is used.
    Symmetric confirmed that NWN_Crunch could convert TGAs to ETC2 but doesn't at the moment. Not sure if that would help since I don't see myself maintaining 2 textures branches, one for the PC and another for mobile.
    Symmetric said:

Afaik DDS does not work at all with the mobile version. The mobile version uses the KTX/ ETC2 format... which crunch can do, but the batch scripts aren't set up for that (yet).

So, I'm sticking to TGA atm; maintaining both a PC and a mobile textures branches is too much of a hassle.
    If I missed a step, I would absolutely love to hear from people who managed to successfully convert TGAs to DDSs because gigabytes heavy hakpaks is not exactly mobile friendly (and even on PC some of my players have crappy connections, in 2018, go figure...)
  • symmetricsymmetric Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2018
    I have the sneaking suspicion that DXT5 compressed (bioware) DDS do not work on mobile, only DXT1 (= no alpha channel). That corresponds to the bug with standard DDS on the Desktop version we had a while ago and it would also explain why it works for some textures but not for others.

Pure speculation on my part though :wink: I don't have access to the mobile version, so I can't verify.
    My models textures which don't render on mobile don't have an alpha channel though. Materialize, which I heavily use, always adds an alpha channel to the maps it creates and I always spend the time to remove them, 24 bits is lighter than 32 and especially since we've been given the opportunity to use normal and specular maps, even 1024 maps grow very fast, reason why I still use DDS.

Now, if you were kind enough to improve Crunch to convert to ETC2 and NWN could use ETC2, that would be great. Not holding my breath though :)
    edited December 2018
    Well, I wanted to improve the batch scripts to accept a wider variety of filename suffixes (for normal, specular map, etc) and ideally make them fully customizable. I also need to switch over to standard DDS for the desktop version, now that it is supported - might as well add KTX conversion.

I might end up making a new crunch release on the vault (for the EE only) and keep the old one around for 1.69. I don't want to cram 1000 batch files into a single download, it's a little tidier that way and it may still be useful people who remain on 1.69.
    You're the man, but do you think it would be possible to use a single set of maps which would render correctly on both the PC and mobile games?

While we're at it, I wondered earlier today if it would work to have a 1024 diffuse map and shrink the normal and specular maps to a smaller resolution?

Hoping my questions don't make you gasp,
    Cheers ;-)
    No, not really. Using a single set of textures will either be too low quality on desktop or cause performance issues on mobile. At the moment I'd suggest:
    1. Mobile: Diffuse only, compressed with KTX/ETC2, maybe even cap the size at something like 512x512 (crunch has an option for that and can scale down textures exceeding the cap)
    2. Desktop: MTR file with a full set of textures at 1024x2014 (or whatever size you're using)
    Even the models may also be too high poly for mobile if they were originally created for the desktop. It's tricky to roll out content for all platforms.

Using smaller a normal and specular map works. Scaling down specular map makes sense, there isn't that much detail in there most of the time. No idea how it would affect quality of normal maps though.

Great, that's exactly the info I was looking for, albeit annoying.
    I'll be waiting for your next Crunch release and think about some way to automatically create haks for desktop and PC. Hopefully @niv could come up with an idea about how to achieve that painlessly through NWSync, who knows.

In the meanwhile, this is bad news for PWs though, oh well...
  • AlronAlron Member Posts: 1
    Hey, just bought the game on google play. Are there any plans for translations though? I'd love to play it in Polish and so far I was only able to transfer all of the translations from steam's version with some font issues.
  • Jeff2242Jeff2242 Member Posts: 3
    Okay, so I'm playing on a samsung galaxy tab a 10.5 and getting unplayable FPS during fights and outdoor environments what gives?????
  • MurmiastyMurmiasty Member Posts: 1
    Hello can someone explain me why i can play gnome monk druid in this game? What happen to race/class restrictions? I remember those on PC version years back. Im not complainting, its just feel wrong to create halfling pala/rogue lol. Why oh why???
    @Alron All the languages available for the PC version of the game, will be added to the mobile version in the future.

@Jeff2242 The best way would be to contact our QA via https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1, but they're on holidays till Jan, 6, so the reply there will have to wait. Try turning off a few graphical options in the settings in the meantime.

@Murmiasty There are no content changes, including race/class restrictions, in NWN:EE if compared to NWN.
  • dunahandunahan Member Posts: 139
    Is it possible to copy content from the bought PC version (from Beamdog, Digital Deluxe), like DLC's to Android and play them as on the various PC sellers versions? I bought the DD on Beamdog, got the normal version from Steam (with Beamdog) and bought one from GOG.
    dunahan said:

Is it possible to copy content from the bought PC version (from Beamdog, Digital Deluxe), like DLC's to Android and play them as on the various PC sellers versions? I bought the DD on Beamdog, got the normal version from Steam (with Beamdog) and bought one from GOG.

Yes! http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/12/how-to-install-custom-content-to.html

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/11/november-16-livestream-recap.html :
    Infinite Dungeons, Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, Pirates of the Sword Coast, and Darkness over Daggerford Premium modules for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition will be purchasable on Android through the in-game store. If you have them on your PC version, you will be able to connect your Android device to your PC and transfer the modules to your mobile. You will be able to move any mods and custom content, not only the Premium modules, because the file system on Android is structured the same way as on PC.
  • dunahandunahan Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2018
    So I got it running on my Honor 9 Lite with Android 8 (patch from 05.11.18), 3GB Ram and resolution of 2160 x 1080.
    Running smooth and fine. Something I would mention... On my resolution, double clicking on any buttons and text is a pain. Don't hit them on one try, need more than that, most of the time...
    Is there a way to tell NWN:EE Android, don't use double click? That would be a way to help. Or the possibility to zoom on that too (okay that sounds ridiculous :smiley:). I know it is better to play it with a tablet, but I could use it on my phone to control things on my PW (got some things that simulate DM powers).

Edit: I get this error three times in a row. Don't know what it means.
    Error: 40964
  • sphinxfpvsphinxfpv Member Posts: 2
    Trying to run a multiplayer server on android and keep getting this...

• paladin14paladin14 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    whenever i mess around with the video setting the font becomes too small... pls fix this bug... thank you...
  • Wrraptor_DWrraptor_D Member Posts: 3
    I am currently playing Neverwinter Nights on my Android phone and everything is working quite well, except for one jarring issue, the manual camera control.

Generally this kind of Isometric games do not allow real-time camera control when implemented to touch screen. It's good that this game offers that, but my issue is why the horizontal camera axis(which is the only axis allowed to be controlled in this version, remember I could control vertical axis as well on the original PC version) inverted by default? By this I mean that, when I put my finger on the camera control zone and swipe right, the camera moves left and vice versa! It's horribly clunky for me and after playing so many games on touchscreen that horizontally moves the camera in the direction swiped, it's getting on my nerves! Neither can I change this from the in-game setting, nor from editing any files on Android>Data>com.beamdog.nwnandroid folder where it downloads all it's stuff. Is there any way I could possibly do it?
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    What is the best android device at the moment to play NWN: EE?
  • AxBattlerAxBattler Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

Nice port, runs great on my Samsung S9.

But it would be great to make this game working in docked mode on the Dex Station.

• DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2019
    Playing SOU on Samsung Tab A with 3 GB RAM - game seems ok so far but a real game breaker is that the Pause to give orders button is not working.

I saw another post about that above.

Is that now on the fix list?

edit : It seems that it allows pauses in the beginning of SOU and then not after? Some type of Multi-player vs Single player game mode?

So far HOTU seems not have this issue - but I only put that on for a quick sanity check ....

To Players that have SOU on both PC and Android - is the lack of Pause control for orders present in both versions or just the Android platform ?
    Post edited by DonCzirr on
This discussion has been closed.