Skip to content

Storm Shield Issues - Advice Needed

I am immensely enjoying the Priest of Talos kit. Storm Shield is a game changing ability and when it works, it is devastating being able to lob Fireball after Fireball into combat without having to worry about your Priest of Talos.

However, I am finding magic users frequently seem to dispel the Storm Shield. Is there anything I can do to keep Storm Shield up or prevent it from being dispelled?

Comments

• GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    Tap to the top, any possible assistance here? Any defenses / counters I could think of to keep up Storm Shield when I need it?
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Maybe Shield of the Archons? I don't know if dispels get absorbed by it or if they just dispel it.
    GrimjackMV

Maybe Shield of the Archons? I don't know if dispels get absorbed by it or if they just dispel it.

OK! Will check it out. Thanks for the tip @Chronicler!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Shield of the Archons will not block Dispel Magic; it just won't be dispelled by Dispel Magic. I think it mentions this in the spell description. Other buffs can still be dispelled while SotA is active. SotA will only block Breach and other single-target spells.

The only spell that can block Dispel Magic in the unmodded game is Spell Immunity: Abjuration, a level 5 mage spell. Only mages can gain access to Spell Immunity, so your cleric would have to dual-class and get all the way up to level 9. Clerics do gain levels faster than mages, so your cleric will be more resistant to Dispel Magic as time goes on, but you won't be able to block it outright.

There is a workaround: When fighting a mage, put a different character out front so the mage will target that character with Dispel Magic instead of your cleric (the character at the front might need to have a dispellable buff active in order for the mage to target them with DM). After the mage begins casting Dispel Magic, have that character run away from your cleric. If the targeted character is far enough away from the cleric, the Dispel Magic projectile won't be able to reach the cleric.

This is because enemies can't cast spells on locations on the map; they have to target characters even if they're using area-effect spells. If the player is casting Dispel Magic, they have to pick a point on the ground to cast it, so once you choose that spot, the area of effect is set (even if you click on a living target, the actual target will be the ground beneath them). Enemies, however, can only choose a living target, so the area of effect will be set to that target's location, even if the target moves around after spellcasting begins but before the spell actually hits.
    Grond0GrimjackMVDanacmStummvonBordwehr
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    So bad designed that lots of spells missing from clerics in bg games. Spell immunity is not only missing from clerics, but stronger than pnp.

Shield of the Archons will not block Dispel Magic; it just won't be dispelled by Dispel Magic. I think it mentions this in the spell description. Other buffs can still be dispelled while SotA is active. SotA will only block Breach and other single-target spells.

The only spell that can block Dispel Magic in the unmodded game is Spell Immunity: Abjuration, a level 5 mage spell. Only mages can gain access to Spell Immunity, so your cleric would have to dual-class and get all the way up to level 9. Clerics do gain levels faster than mages, so your cleric will be more resistant to Dispel Magic as time goes on, but you won't be able to block it outright.

There is a workaround: When fighting a mage, put a different character out front so the mage will target that character with Dispel Magic instead of your cleric (the character at the front might need to have a dispellable buff active in order for the mage to target them with DM). After the mage begins casting Dispel Magic, have that character run away from your cleric. If the targeted character is far enough away from the cleric, the Dispel Magic projectile won't be able to reach the cleric.

This is because enemies can't cast spells on locations on the map; they have to target characters even if they're using area-effect spells. If the player is casting Dispel Magic, they have to pick a point on the ground to cast it, so once you choose that spot, the area of effect is set (even if you click on a living target, the actual target will be the ground beneath them). Enemies, however, can only choose a living target, so the area of effect will be set to that target's location, even if the target moves around after spellcasting begins but before the spell actually hits.

Thanks for the advice @semiticgod
    semiticgoddess