Skip to content

Request to Beamdog: Can we have a throwing dagger of returning

So, this is something I've thought of for a while. There were never any magical throwing daggers in BG1 and now none in SOD as far as I can tell (not finished with SOD but the item list looks like all melee). In SOD we got a returning dart on top of their already nice poison and stun variants. While Axe of returning is one of the last magic items in the whole game of BG1 it still is there and there's an upgrade to that to be found in SOD.

The only returning daggers are found in BG2:SOA. Even if it would just be a +1 variant with 1d4 damage I would love to have some sort of returning throwing daggers before SOA as it's the only throwing weapon that forces players to carry hundreds of knives in their pockets for both BG1 and SOD if that's your preferred ranged option. I don't even care if it would just be a +1 variant with nothing more special to it. Preferably somewhere inside BG1 though I wouldn't mind early SOD either. And if this request actually gets noted, please don't stick it inside an NPC quest :smiley: .

Anyone else feel like a magical throwing dagger is dearly missed? I'm surprised one of the EE added items was not a throwing dagger.

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    at this point you can probably make it yourself. DLCTEP is very easy to learn.
  • XanatosXanatos Member Posts: 47
    NPC Project has one as a part of a new sidequest for a character... If you don't want the whole mod you could probably locate and import it from the files.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I remember making this particular request before even Enhanced Edition was released. Worked as well as you can see.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    there are actual throwing daggers +1 in SoD at the very beginning of the game, i remember having edwin....? on my team and he had packs of them
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I guess the fact that good throwing daggers are rare is made up for by the fact that throwing daggers are so good. They're the only ranged weapon type that gets both an extra attack per round and a damage bonus from Strength. Though can't you also find poison throwing daggers in SOD?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

I guess the fact that good throwing daggers are rare is made up for by the fact that throwing daggers are so good. They're the only ranged weapon type that gets both an extra attack per round and a damage bonus from Strength. Though can't you also find poison throwing daggers in SOD?

yeah to be honest, throwing daggers are amazing and for those 2 reasons as you stated above, that is probably exactly the reason why there is no magical counter part
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Hm, alright. The +1 daggers and poison daggers in SOD are just not listed on the wiki in the new items section then. I had BG1 gear on Edwin so I didn't see them on him either. Still, I'd much prefer any kind of returning dagger because I don't really see those as a reason for carrying around multiple inventory slots of knives and/or repeated visits to stores to buy more and the periodical inventory management to keep your weapon slot loaded up. I'd be happy with even a +-0 dagger of returning.
  • SharsekSharsek Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 248
    It doesn't fulfill the request, but the "Recoverable Throwing Weapons" component from the "Tweaks Anthology" mod could at least alleviate the problem.