Skip to content

NWN:EE Toolset

So I just got the EE and can't see anywhere on how to open the toolset, is it actually avaible with the EE? Or am I still using the old CD copy of the game I own from way back when?

Comments

• InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    edited February 2018
    From the Beamdog client click options > open game location, go to the bin/win32 directory and the toolset .exe should be there.
    JuliusBorisov
  • HonounHonoun Member Posts: 12
    You are awsome :D I would be pulling my hair out before I found that :p
  • HonounHonoun Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2018
    Ok got another question, placed sound objects are silver, I assume that's cause they have been disabled cause they don't play in the game. Am I correct in this and will they be enabled closer to official release date?

EDIT - Never mind.... Seems I'm still noob :p I had the volume on the sound objects too low ... bleh ;p
    Post edited by Honoun on
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks for noticing, folks. We've updated the FAQ:
    https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq#32

- How does the Aurora Toolset work in Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition?
    - The Aurora Toolset works exactly as it did in the original Neverwinter Nights. You should be able to access the toolset from the Beamdog Client by clicking Options and choosing open game location. After, go to the bin/win32 directory and run toolset .exe.
  • Jefferson2611Jefferson2611 Member Posts: 2
    I'm sorry but I'm completely confused. I have no idea how you answered the question. You say, "From the Beamdog client..." and I'm already lost. Where the hell is the Beamdog client? Clearly Honoun understands what you're saying, but I don't. I know that I purchased NWN Enhanced, I know that when I double click on the icon I get the game without the toolset... That's it! So I'm going to repeat the question. How do we open the toolset? And a follow up question, can you please make it easier to do this? It seems pretty ridiculous to have a major part of the game not available through the standard game when it's opened in its normal fashion. I literally bought this entire thing because of the toolset, and now I'm pretty frustrated that I have to go through a whole confusing process just to find the main thing I bought the game for.
  • Jefferson2611Jefferson2611 Member Posts: 2
    Aha, I just found out where it is in the link you left. Just FYI, the link actually takes us to the FAQ just AFTER the answer to this question, so if anyone else comes back confused, that's why. Just tell them to scroll up a little bit after clicking the link to find the answer.

But I still hold to the issue, please, please, for the love of god please make this easier. It would be FAR better to place the toolset into the game itself. It baffles my mind why this extremely important element of the game isn't just placed into the game rather than making us go through this convoluted process.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited June 2018
    @Jefferson2611 you don't need to go to the install folder any more. You just need to expand the BeamDog client a little. Hover your mouse pointer over the bottom right corner of the client and it will turn into a double headed arrow. Click, hold and drag with your mouse. This will reveal a number of things that are at first hidden including a link that launches the toolset. Why they haven't bothered to make the client large enough from the get-go is beyond me but there it is.

BTW @JuliusBorisov the FAQ needs updating to reflect this don't you think?

TR
    TheBarbarianPrince_Raymond
  • EtarnonEtarnon Member Posts: 3
    Using steam, this is where my toolset is on my hard drive. I could not figure out what people were saying above with the resize windown in the beamdog client.

Mine is here.

[Drive or where you put your steam library]:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

@Jefferson2611 you don't need to go to the install folder any more. You just need to expand the BeamDog client a little. Hover your mouse pointer over the bottom right corner of the client and it will turn into a double headed arrow. Click, hold and drag with your mouse. This will reveal a number of things that are at first hidden including a link that launches the toolset. Why they haven't bothered to make the client large enough from the get-go is beyond me but there it is.

BTW @JuliusBorisov the FAQ needs updating to reflect this don't you think?

TR

We've updated the FAQ.

How does the Aurora Toolset work in Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition?

The Aurora Toolset works exactly as it did in the original Neverwinter Nights. You should be able to access the toolset from the Beamdog Client on the right hand side of the Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition section. If you don't see the launch toolset option, try expanding the window.

To access the toolset through Steam, launch Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition and choose Launch Game Editor.

Thanks, @TarotRedhand.
    TarotRedhanddTddunahan
  • CiretoseCiretose Member Posts: 7
    I am wondering if anyone knows of a workaround for having the toolset and client open at the same time on the steam version?! It makes it really hard to play test areas as I am building. Currently the toolset is not listed as a "tool" download in steam. So it runs the toolset and the client as the same steam app. That means steam won't let me open the client when I have the toolset open. grr..
  • CiretoseCiretose Member Posts: 7
    Turns out if I launch the toolset from the directory it will not treat it as a steam app, as it does when launching it from the library in steam. Still, the toolset should be setup as a tools download in steam so you don't have to fiddle with this complication imo.
    Proleric
  • NuetorNuetor Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys Ive followed the above gone to options, and it will not allow me to open from location its greyed out ideas or help on this please?
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited January 2019
    @TarotRedhand You, sir, are a genius. In the names of Tyr, Torm, and Ilmater and by the shining light of Lathander, I salute you. It's a shame I couldn't Insightful, Agree, and Like your post.

@JuliusBorisov A recent issue I have noticed with the Aurora Toolset is when I try to open a module of my own creation from the Retail branch of NWN:EE, I'm prompted with an error message stating, "This module was created with a updated version of Neverwinter Nights. Please exit and update the game. For Windows users, press the Update button on the initial Neverwinter Nights menu." I am able to open it from the Development branch just fine. Correction: I Just checked both versions, and the Retail branch is still v78.8186 while the Development branch is v78.8187. False alarm, folks. There's nothing to see here. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along, move along. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    DerpCity
  • CyrusJVCyrusJV Member Posts: 36
    I don't have steam. I downloaded the game directly from the Beamdog website. When I try to open the toolset, i get the error: "This app can't run on your pc" WTF
  • ZephiriusZephirius Member Posts: 411
    anyone have trouble with shadows in toolset? I paint from the groups and features pallet. Sometimes I"ll erase one and when I do the tile is gone but the shadows remain toolset .mod
  • BaireswolfBaireswolf Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2020
    Have you tried deactivating and reactivating shadows in the toolset?
  • ZephiriusZephirius Member Posts: 411
    Baireswolf wrote: »
    Have you tried deactivating and reactivating shadows in the toolset?

yeah, they still remain.
  • BaireswolfBaireswolf Member Posts: 22
    You may also select the tules and adjust those tiles lighting parameters, or try making an offer to Shar..
    @Zephirius Have you tried Environment/Refresh (just press F5). That used to work in getting rid of errant shadows.

TR
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    @Zephirius Have you tried Environment/Refresh (just press F5). That used to work in getting rid of errant shadows.

TR

Unfortunately, doing that will reset any placeables to the tileset's zero-height. Any objects that have had their z position adjusted will drop to the ground/floor.
    Everything in life is a choice. Why should the toolset be any different? Get rid of annoying shadows or keep things floating without support...

TR
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    edited October 2020
    Ancarion wrote: »

TR

Unfortunately, doing that will reset any placeables to the tileset's zero-height. Any objects that have had their z position adjusted will drop to the ground/floor.

I thought that was fixed? Doesn't seem to do that anymore.

Well, maybe it still does. I thought I remembered reading that was changed...

• paulrdupuispaulrdupuis Member Posts: 1
    It's April 2022 and I have NWN:EE from Steam on Windows 10 and I would like to access to toolset and can not figure out how. Was it dropped from the latest version of STEAM for Windows. Right-clicking on the game name in the Stream client shows a context menu but with no Game Editor options. I can find no "SteamLibrary" folder on my computer. I need specific help for the current (2022) version of NWN:EE from Steam. Help?
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,270
    edited April 2022
    Make a shortcut to nwtoolset.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32.

If that doesn't work immediately, check "Run As Administrator" in the shortcut properties, and add that program to your AV's exception list (not sure whether those steps are still necessary, depending which AV you have).
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    edited April 2022
    On mine, if I click the big green 'Play' button, it pops up a menu to choose what I'm going to launch. That's the default behavior.
    For the toolset though, I made a shortcut. You don't even need steam running to open it.
  • Skywatcher44Skywatcher44 Member Posts: 2
    I bought NWN EE through GOG, and installed it through GOG Galaxy, and everything works fine with playing modules, including online modules with haks and offline modules with haks. But.....

I am having trouble using the toolset with CEP 2. I can open the toolset fine with no haks and create a module, but when I try to open the start module for CEP 2.65 or 2.67, I get the message that the required HAKs are missing? They are in the hk folder, and I even created a hak folder and copied them into that, but I still cannot open a module with CEP haks. Does anyone know where the haks need to be in order to use CEP starter modules?
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1309774090

You're using the wrong folders - see Guide link above.
  • Skywatcher44Skywatcher44 Member Posts: 2
    So you are saying to take the directory structure GOG created when I installed NWN EE and change it to look like the standard NWN directory structure?

No. User content doesn't go in the game installation folders, period.

The folder you need to use is the one containing nwn.ini and the \saves subfolder. By default, on Windows, it's ..\Documents\Neverwinter Nights (unless you, or Gog, changed it on installation - the locations for each file type are given in nwn.ini).

In that folder, in addition to \saves, you need to use (or create) subfolders like \hak, \modules, \tlk etc as specified in the Guide. Those folder names are the same as the old NWN Diamond 1.69 directory structure, but, unlike Diamond, they don't reside in the game installation.

• XXXLanceALotXXXXXXLanceALotXXX Member Posts: 7
    I have downloaded and installed NWN:EE and cannot find any way to access the toolset. There is no option to access it in the main menu and I cannot find the executable anywhere in the directory structure.