Skip to content

Did Foebane get nerfed?

I've recently started playing BG 2 EE again and I lead my party through SoA and now I'm in ToB and I finally constructed Foebane +5. My Fighter/Mage is wielding it and his health never seems to increase and the Larloch's Minor Drain effect seems to be nonexistent. Did something change?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited January 2019
    A recent patch broke the Larloch's Minor Drain spell which in turn broke Foebane. I imagine it will be fixed in short order but for the time being you might consider a different weapon.
  • Incarnadine9Incarnadine9 Member Posts: 6
    That's really disappointing. I might just take a break from BG2 for the time being then. I did just finish SoA and I don't really want to mess around with my characters at this point. Thanks for the reply.
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    I looked at the item in NearInfinity and tested it in game and can confirm that it only applies the damage and not the healing effect, interestingly enough this also effects the wizard spell and the bhaalspawn power, the spell works as intended in BG1 though, therefore some sort of bug with Larloch's minor drain as a whole in BG2?
    [Deleted User]
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited January 2019
    The Special flag that allows the drain to transfer to caster isn't flagged properly in SPIN104a (and SPWI119a for the normal wizard spell).

In a clean BG2EE 2.5 install, nothing is set, in BGEE 3 (Drain to max HP of caster) is checked.

Though, I'd think 0 should be checked given it should drain past max HP of caster.
    [Deleted User]
  • JGPJGP Member Posts: 26
    There's a hot fix for this bug. Check this thread:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71564/foebane-5-how-does-it-work
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
    Thanks for the replies. I've scoured my BG2 steam folders and my BG2 saves and I cannot find an Override folder which is where that thread instructs to extract the fixed files. I'm not sure there is an Override folder using the Steam version. Any insight on how to move forward or where I should extract those files to would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    You can create the override folder and then extract there.
    I tried just creating the folder and extracting the files there, but it has no affect. I have non-Enhanced Edition Infinity Engines games installed, and they all have Override folders with the pertinent data in their installation directories. However Steam does not contain Override folders.
    [Deleted User]
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I just tried the hotfix on an unmodded v2.5 installation and it seems to work fine for me, i.e. without it you just get the magical damage, but with it you get the healing and bonus HP effects as well.

@Incarnadine9 I don't have steam, but I'm surprised that the override folder doesn't seem to work with that. Presumably you're placing that folder in the same place as your other game folders (data, lang, scripts etc) are located?
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited January 2019
    The bug will be fixed with the next patch.

@Incarnadine9 You can create the override folder yourself. Make sure you create it in Steam - steamapps - common - Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition.
    Grond0[Deleted User]
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Urgggh..........nerf Bastion.

(Been away for a while and yes I have been watching TIKTOK vids......sorry) :p