Skip to content

Nooo.... Whyyy....

Just venting...

I'm returning to BG after years of pause, decided to do a blind no-reload run with SoD (first time). As a consequence, I fought the L. TWO TIMES, one time after foolishly offering him insufficient amount of items, and another time when HE CAME BACK :D WITH ALL THE SPELLS :D

Anyway, SoD is pretty good, but it's not suited for solo. Solo is very tedious and not enjoyable, thus I was forced to make a party of four. But SoD also has this IWD vibe, and I was worried all the time, this lingering sense of impending doom, that I'd have to face a "wave of enemies" scenario, with no possibility to escape. And, sure enough...

However, I wasn't ready for a wave of buffed mages. In short, in ensuing chaos the big guy with a flail starts hacking barrels, almost gets killed, casts Sanctuary and fully heals himself, while I'm desperately trying to dispel it without success. Well, he proceeds with his activity...

I remember a party of wizard slayers was offered, (first time, I choose archers with flame arrows for trolls (duh)), but I haven't figured out how to call them. There's almost no pause between waves (I couldn't even put the freaking armour back on resurrected party members).

I HATE this type of scenarios: waves of enemies and you have to protect some crap. Not only they've been done to DEATH, they don't make sense: are all the enemies on a suicide trip?

Was I near the end? Or better don't answer, I'm devastated as it is... I was so looking forward for SoA... Now I'd have to heavy-meta in advance for this crap. Or just skip SoD altogether.
Kurona

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hey, Josh! I'd recommend to read through https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62202/the-lob-scs-solo-challenge-proudly-presents-the-crusaders-of-blades-and-stars#latest where players solo SoD on the Legacy of Bhaal difficulty. :wink:
    O_BruceJoshBG
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Impressive. I had some problems doing last boss battle on insane with a party (until I found a good tactics, that is) so I hardly can imagine doing it solo.
    JuliusBorisovJoshBG
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Congratulations for getting that far in a blind no-reload! SoD throws waves at you but they are well-equipped and have good AI so it can take quite a while to adapt when you never experienced it before.
    JuliusBorisovJoshBG
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2019

Hey, Josh! I'd recommend to read through https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62202/the-lob-scs-solo-challenge-proudly-presents-the-crusaders-of-blades-and-stars#latest where players solo SoD on the Legacy of Bhaal difficulty. :wink:

Thanks!

And yeah, I was surprised how far I was getting during the blind run. Stumbled upon some angry green... stuff... as well :p Fun times.

Ok, I have a question. I've replayed the battle to figure out how to deal with it, and it's completely different. First time when I failed, after the trolls the buffed mages just poured in (from the same opening). There was no dialogue, nothing. I couldn't choose support troops either. And after the mages without any pause, the named big guys appeared in the same manner, with huge amount of fighters flooding in as well, and I was just overwhelmed.

However, this time there's a message "enemy type are coming from over there!". I can choose support and the party is moved to the spot.

Was I experiencing a bug? If so, I can reluctantly, but continue with the run.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited January 2019
    Sounds like an unintended behavior for your first time, yes.

Or maybe not... (see below)
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    JoshBG
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    JoshBG said:

Thanks!

And yeah, I was surprised how far I was getting during the blind run. Stumbled upon some angry green... stuff... as well :p Fun times.

Ok, I have a question. I've replayed the battle to figure out how to deal with it, and it's completely different. First time when I failed, after the trolls the buffed mages just poured in (from the same opening). There was no dialogue, nothing. I couldn't choose support troops either. And after the mages without any pause, the named big guys appeared in the same manner, with huge amount of fighters flooding in as well, and I was just overwhelmed.

However, this time there's a message "enemy type are coming from over there!". I can choose support and the party is moved to the spot.

Was I experiencing a bug? If so, I can reluctantly, but continue with the run.
    I agree it sounds like you did very well for a blind run. I've played it solo many times now and it's not particularly hard when you know what's coming, but countering unknown traps and special abilities etc without fore-knowledge requires more extensive care than I'm able/willing to do.

In relation to your experience at the Coalition Camp it sounds to me like one of the original group of enemies managed to get past you and move towards the fire - once that happens all the remaining waves of enemies pour in on you quickly rather than coming in stages with warnings ahead of each stage. It doesn't matter whether enemies that get past you are under control or not, they still trigger the mass attacks (which still seems rather unfair to me, but I'm getting over it :p) - so using fear or confusion effects on enemies in these battles is not a good idea ...
    JoshBG
    edited January 2019
    Grond0 said:

In relation to your experience at the Coalition Camp it sounds to me like one of the original group of enemies managed to get past you and move towards the fire - once that happens all the remaining waves of enemies pour in on you quickly rather than coming in stages with warnings ahead of each stage. It doesn't matter whether enemies that get past you are under control or not, they still trigger the mass attacks (which still seems rather unfair to me, but I'm getting over it :p) - so using fear or confusion effects on enemies in these battles is not a good idea ...

I think you're right. I was using disabling spells and some enemies were running all over the place (since they're hasted).

So it's the intended behaviour, then? :'(

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    It is. That's one of the reasons why that sequence of battles is hard to do without meta-knowledge - there are a few more instances like that in SoD as well for you to look forward to :p.
    JuliusBorisovJoshBG
    I've tagged @Ardanis to clarify.
    JoshBG
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    As Grond says, letting enemies slip past the defensive line with trigger panic at the campfire and open it vulnerable to concentrated attack by any remaining enemy groups.
    Grond0 said:

(which still seems rather unfair to me, but I'm getting over it :p)

It's a sort of penalty for failing to contain the attackers at the breach point :)
    Grond0 said:

so using fear or confusion effects on enemies in these battles is not a good idea ...

Unfortunately so.
    JuliusBorisovKuronaJoshBGlolien
    Ok, new run it is, then :'( Goodbye, my cunning and resourceful Mage/Thief, you've almost made it :'(
    JuliusBorisovGrond0
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited January 2019
    Wouldn't it make more sense to count instead how many times you've had to reload? I mean, if you start anew then it's no longer a blind play in early chapters ;)
    Grond0JoshBG