Skip to content

A question about .pro files

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
I've tinkering away at NI and I've come across the "SmashingWave.pro" from Icewindale EE that I'd very much like to use for a custom BGEE spell. On creating a spell for some reason this .pro doesn't register as a potential projectile despite the .WC and .BAM files being prepped and ready for use. Are .pros a restricted file that are limited to use in their own games of origin?

Comments

• UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    You need to add the new projectile to projectile.ids in order to use it.
    WeiDU does that via the add_projectile.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Ulb said:

You need to add the new projectile to projectile.ids in order to use it.
    WeiDU does that via the add_projectile.

Though I'm proficient at NI and DLTCEP I'm struggling with WeiDU. Looks like I have to find away around it.
    I think you can just add it with NI... just add it at the bottom picking the next available number and the file name..
    Ulb said:

I think you can just add it with NI... just add it at the bottom picking the next available number and the file name..

I appreciate it. Doesn't seem to register the specific .pro. May have to invest time reading about WeiDU. It seems simple enough but accurate examples of the WeiDU script format I'm looking for are difficult to come by.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    As far as weidu goes, adding a projectile to your game is super easy. I had to do it for my Bigger Bard Song tweak, which can be found here. Feel free to have a look at it. Basically all you have to do is make the .pro in NI and then export it to a specific file path that you can direct weidu to with a .tp2. In the tweak I indicated, only the first few lines are important to you. The rest can be done in NI.

So for my Bigger Bard Song, I put the following lines in my .tp2 in order to add the necessary projectiles:

BACKUP ~Bigger_Bard_Song/Backup~
    AUTHOR ~Tresset, at forums.beamdog.com~

BEGIN ~Bigger Bard Songs~
    ADD_PROJECTILE ~Bigger_Bard_Song/BARDSO.PRO~
    ADD_PROJECTILE ~Bigger_Bard_Song/JESTSO.PRO~
    END
    And that is all I really needed to do to add the projectiles. The rest of the code was just assigning the new projectiles to the bard songs.

Let me know if you need more help. This is easy enough for me to the point where I would be willing to write the code for you if you want me to.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    To follow up on @Tresset 's example, whenever you use ADD_PROJECTILE WeiDU will set a variable that you then can use to assign the projectile to a spell or item, e.g.
    ADD_PROJECTILE ~MyMod/mypro.pro~

COPY ~MyMod/myspell.spl~ ~override~
    LPF ALTER_SPELL_HEADER INT_VAR projectile = mypro END
    Tresset said:

As far as weidu goes, adding a projectile to your game is super easy. I had to do it for my Bigger Bard Song tweak, which can be found here. Feel free to have a look at it. Basically all you have to do is make the .pro in NI and then export it to a specific file path that you can direct weidu to with a .tp2. In the tweak I indicated, only the first few lines are important to you. The rest can be done in NI.

So for my Bigger Bard Song, I put the following lines in my .tp2 in order to add the necessary projectiles:

BACKUP ~Bigger_Bard_Song/Backup~
    AUTHOR ~Tresset, at forums.beamdog.com~

BEGIN ~Bigger Bard Songs~
    ADD_PROJECTILE ~Bigger_Bard_Song/BARDSO.PRO~
    ADD_PROJECTILE ~Bigger_Bard_Song/JESTSO.PRO~
    END
    And that is all I really needed to do to add the projectiles. The rest of the code was just assigning the new projectiles to the bard songs.

Let me know if you need more help. This is easy enough for me to the point where I would be willing to write the code for you if you want me to.
    Really appreciate it. The past few days felt like I was possessed by the urge to create stuff in NI. Edited over about 200 different files in a 2 day time span but my lack of experience with WeiDU prevents them from being full blown mods. This will certainly come in handy. Time permitting.
    CamDawg said:

To follow up on @Tresset 's example, whenever you use ADD_PROJECTILE WeiDU will set a variable that you then can use to assign the projectile to a spell or item, e.g.

ADD_PROJECTILE ~MyMod/mypro.pro~

COPY ~MyMod/myspell.spl~ ~override~
    LPF ALTER_SPELL_HEADER INT_VAR projectile = mypro END
    In an example like "Arrow Exploding (ARROWEX.PRO) - 3" Does the variable present itself as the - 3 in terms of file order?
    The variable would be ARROWEX in your example. ADD_PROJECTILE will set the new projectile's file name as variable.

ADD_PROJECTILE ~MyMod/Files/MyPro.PRO~ COPY ~MyMod/Files/MySpell.SPL~ ~override~ WRITE_SHORT 0x098 ~%MyPro%~

I'm using this code for projectiles. It's probably less elegant/efficient than CamDawg's but maybe a bit more simplistic and easier to grasp for us beginners.. :D

edited January 2019
    Ulb said:

The variable would be ARROWEX in your example. ADD_PROJECTILE will set the new projectile's file name as variable.

ADD_PROJECTILE ~MyMod/Files/MyPro.PRO~ COPY ~MyMod/Files/MySpell.SPL~ ~override~ WRITE_SHORT 0x098 ~%MyPro%~

I'm using this code for projectiles. It's probably less elegant/efficient than CamDawg's but maybe a bit more simplistic and easier to grasp for us beginners.. :D

Have alot to look forward to this weekend! Developed a bunch of item concepts this'll come in handy for!

I set most of my items to generic descriptions which is kinda, eh. Would giving them full fledged descriptions follow a similar pattern? Made a .tp2 file for one of them but WeiDu went completely wacky.