Skip to content

IS barbarian cleric roleplayable?

Just asking.

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Yeah, if I recall Priests of Tempus often multclass Barbarian.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    I was wondering how you would justify it. Wouldn't it be more natural to become a druid?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Arthas said:

Wouldn't it be more natural to become a druid?

Not really. Most established human Barbarian tribes in the Forgotten Realms worship animal totems, which in turn are often aspects of actual deities. Probably the most prominent case would be the various Uthgardt tribes. Shaman is therefore a thematically more fitting class. Given that, it too, centers around Animism. A close second would be Cleric.

Druids on the other hand are not really fond getting involved with such tribes and stick to their own druidic circles.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I think you might be looking for the Westboro Baptist Church character build. :wink:
    Two questions:

1) is there an alignment you would choose? Because I'll be honest, the powerplayer in me wants to go evil because of the human skin armor, but I realize that armor would not be the best armor especially in a solo - no reload challenge... or am I wrong?

2) How you would justify charname becoming a barbarian first, and a cleric second?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited January 2019
    1: I just can't ever use that armor due to the appearance of it on the character doll. It just look hideous. I'ts a magnificent armor though, but there are also medium dragon armors you can use, ie shadow dragon scale armor. I have never played a barbarian for a prolonged time myself, so I am a but unsure how they play out later on though, so take this with a grain of salt. As an early armor, Aeger's isn't a bad choice.

2: You can ie read here: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Uthgar
    It's always hard to RP difficult classes/class combos in BG due to the sheltered upbringing, but according to the official lore cleric/barbarians are definitely ok. My linked example I just googled in 5 seconds, so you can probably find more and something that suit your taste if Uthgar doesn't fit your concept perfectly. To RP going into cleric I guess you can let your barbarian see the power another cleric gets from their deity, and how you are inspired by that and pledge to a barbarian deity yourself to gain the favors of the gods, for ie becoming more fierce in battle or whatever.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

I think you might be looking for the Westboro Baptist Church character build. :wink:

Better take nothing but malus spells for that one ;)
    Would you say the same for barbarian druid?
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    I did a dual class Barbarian / Cleric by accident once. I was planning to go Conan / Fafhrd style Barbarian / Thief, dualing in BG2. However at the end of BG1 the character's love interest Branwen was killed by a flame strike in the final battle and it felt like it made sense to dual to cleric instead in her memory.