Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights 2 Enhanced Edition

13»

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I don't have time to read this discussion, but in response to the question in the OP, I would like to point out that Trent once said in a live stream that he tries to pretend NWN2 never existed. Chances are he wouldn't be too thrilled about enhancing it...
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    NWN 2 runs on Windows 10 fine as is. Not sure what would need to be enhanced. Maybe to allow it to run on hand-held devices?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Balrog99 said:

NWN 2 runs on Windows 10 fine as is. Not sure what would need to be enhanced. Maybe to allow it to run on hand-held devices?

i've been playing NWN 2 for like 12+ hours a day for the last couple of days and there are some things that could be fixed, indeed it does run on windows 10, but it's not a flawless experience

for example: the team work benefit superior flank, says the "leader" aka the person that is talking to the dude needs 4d6 worth of sneak attack, but if you have the StoA sneak attack or Assa sneak attack or Inv Blade sneak attack it doesnt count, so you have to be a level 7 pure rogue to get it, even though those other classes with their sneak attack clearly states that they count towards feats that require sneak attack

plus SoZ has some minor errors here and there and some broken quests ( like the old man and his book, or sometimes while on the sword coast on the overland map your spellcraft skill will find a "book" on the over world map that you cant select ) or the quest with the genasi dude where you have to give him "9" rare resources when there is only 8

also, special ability usage needs better programming, for example: if you have a bard that has 0 ranks in perform then he shouldn't be wasting time trying to perform bard songs, or if you have whirlwind you shouldn't use it if you have more than 2 attacks per round and are only fighter 2 baddies, also, warlocks never EVER need to go into melee since they can't run out of spells, so if they are set to medium or far distance they should just be blastin' away until the cows come home ( although even with this said, out of hundreds of battles my warlock has only gone into melee like twice ) now with that being said you can just "turn off" special abilities but that's not really fixing the problem, i want my characters to use their special ability just use them smarter thats all

its things like that, that need fixes, in theory some of this stuff could be done by a modder or someone who knows how to tinker with the toolset, but unfortunately that is far beyond my capabilities
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Did anybody else play the module Path of Evil, for nwn2?
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/path-evil

That's got to be my favorite mod for nwn2. In a lot of ways it is a loveletter to the Baldur's Gate games, one of the companions you can recruit is a priestess of the Baalspawn ascended. It has a free roaming exploration based feel similar to the first BG, and very little direction given (there's a hint guide you can consult for help on where to go for the main quest if you need it). In this mod, you are the bad guy, and will even bump into adventurers hunting for you. Some of the ways you can insult the adventurers are hilarious, "Why is it that all paladins carry great swords? Do you think they're compensating for something?" The first chapter's pretty much linear, but after that you get let out into the world and can explore a huge chunk of Faerun. The mod even works with Kaedrin's PRC. It also utilizes the dialog options that SOZ introduced, so other members of the party can chime in or do skill checks. The combat's also a lot more difficult than in the official nwn2 modules, and since the game's exploration based, you can totally wander into an area you're way underleveled for. When entering an area from the world map, there's a neat little skill check (type depends on area), and if someone in the party passes it, you can get an idea of the what level the area's designed for.
  • TejasTejas Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2022
    While NWN2 could use a few tweaks in the UI and some improvements in graphical glitches, the only real issue with NWN2 is that it desperately needs to be reworked to take advantage of multi-thread processors and modern graphics cards and DirectX drivers. As for Pathfinder: Kingmaker, the timed first chapter was the reason I never finished the game. I HATE games that force me to conform to a timer for primary missions, which is why I never bothered to finish Lost Planet or Capcom games of that ilk. However, given that I enjoyed Kingmaker until it unceremoniously gave me the middle finger of "GAME OVER", I may go back and try it again now that I know only the first chapter commits this egregious sin.

But I still want/need an Enhanced Edition of NWN2! The players deserve some love here! Please, Beamdog, don't be Victor Frankenstein to us your creature!

"Oh, Frankenstein, be not equitable to every other and trample upon me alone, to whom thy justice, and even thy clemency and affection, is most due. Remember that I am thy creature, I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed. Everywhere I see bliss from which I alone am irrevocably excluded...... I was benevolent and good. Misery made me a fiend. Make me happy and I shall again be virtuous."
    Post edited by Tejas on
  • gazoogazoo Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2022
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    plus SoZ has some minor errors here and there and some broken quests ( like the old man and his book, or sometimes while on the sword coast on the overland map your spellcraft skill will find a "book" on the over world map that you cant select ) or the quest with the genasi dude where you have to give him "9" rare resources when there is only 8

I played SoZ on win10 not long and only 8 were required for that quest. Perhaps I used a fix pack or some of the extra fan content (holiday expansion) fixed the dialog.

=>My main complaint about NWN2 is that time doesn't automatically pause during dialog. Already the game time per real time is very short...and if you spend too much time enjoying the dialog and full voice acting - even with active pausing - many of your current buffs expire, even some long buffs. Active pausing also interrupts the dialog too much, imho.

Obviously this was done out of MP consideration, but an option could be added for single player.

Other than that, the client runs pretty stable in single player.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    gazoo wrote: »
    sarevok57 wrote: »

I played SoZ on win10 not long and only 8 were required for that quest. Perhaps I used a fix pack or some of the extra fan content (holiday expansion) fixed the dialog.

=>My main complaint about NWN2 is that time doesn't automatically pause during dialog. Already the game time per real time is very short...and if you spend too much time enjoying the dialog and full voice acting - even with active pausing - many of your current buffs expire, even some long buffs. Active pausing also interrupts the dialog too much, imho.

Obviously this was done out of MP consideration, but an option could be added for single player.

Other than that, the client runs pretty stable in single player.

you are probably thinking about the lore master which only requires a spot 8 skill, there is indeed a fix for that one, plus the fix also adds an amulet i believe to that town or some such, but for the old man, i was talking about the old man you find on the sword coast that you have to find a book for.
    Tejas wrote: »
    While NWN2 could use a few tweaks in the UI and some improvements in graphical glitches, the only real issue with NWN2 is that it desperately needs to be reworked to take advantage of multi-thread processors and modern graphics cards and DirectX drivers. As for Pathfinder: Kingmaker, the timed first chapter was the reason I never finished the game. I HATE games that force me to conform to a timer for primary missions, which is why I never bothered to finish Lost Planet or Capcom games of that ilk. However, given that I enjoyed Kingmaker until it unceremoniously gave me the middle finger of "GAME OVER", I may go back and try it again now that I know only the first chapter commits this egregious sin.

But I still want/need an Enhanced Edition of NWN2! The players deserve some love here! Please, Beamdog, don't be Victor Frankenstein to us your creature!

"Oh, Frankenstein, be not equitable to every other and trample upon me alone, to whom thy justice, and even thy clemency and affection, is most due. Remember that I am thy creature, I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed. Everywhere I see bliss from which I alone am irrevocably excluded...... I was benevolent and good. Misery made me a fiend. Make me happy and I shall again be virtuous."

2 things;

in pathfinder kingmaker, regardless of chapter you are always on a timer, although you can use mods to get rid of it ( it can break the game or cause serious bugs, but sometimes that is just what mods do )

also, to burst even more bubbles, NWN 2 was made by atari, not bioware so beamdog has absolutely no rights to the game, so having beamdog making an enhanced edition of it are 0 percent, especially when beamdog said they will no longer be making enhanced edition games