Skip to content

It is confirmed: Glitterdust does dispel Invisibility effects

At least for the 2.5 patch for BG1 i have confirmed ( and unintentionally tested ) that glitterdust will dispel invisibility effects

this is something that has been discussed before, and there was no confirmation if it did or not, but now that i know for sure that it does, although there is a caveat to it:

for glitterdust to successfully dispel an invisibility effect the target must fail it's save vs spell for it to work, if they succeed on their save, then they will not turn visible

so with that being said, the mystery has been solved ( at least for version 2.5) ( not sure if this is the same scenario for version 2.3 or less )
JuliusBorisovKurona

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Wait, this was a mystery? I typically use glitterdust instead of detect invisibility because of its additional effects.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
  • SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    Yes ! A very serious alternative of « detect invisibility » for a sorcerer.
    sarevok57
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    AFAIK no save should be allowed for the dispel invisibility effect, only for the blindness one.
    Aerakar
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    So Detect Invisibility is obsolete?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBell
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    It's nothing new, nor has it been given SoD's improvements either. SoD also makes the target immune to invisibility for its duration (on failed save).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

So Detect Invisibility is obsolete?

detect invisibility doesnt require a save

...hasn't this always been the case?? That's like, half the point of the spell. (Literally.)

just because a spell says it does something doesnt necessarily mean it actually is going to do it, for example: protection from evil 10' radius actually has a 30' radius
    Raduziel said:

AFAIK no save should be allowed for the dispel invisibility effect, only for the blindness one.

that is what it looks like it should do, but as a said to subtledoctor's quote, sometimes spell descriptions are 100 % true, or perhaps this is an engine limitation?
    ThacoBell said:

Wait, this was a mystery? I typically use glitterdust instead of detect invisibility because of its additional effects.

i was never 100% sure if this actually worked, because it seems to never work on sirines ( they must have an amazing save vs spell i suppose )
    JuliusBorisovGotural
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2018
    @sarevok57 Not a limitation that I'm aware of. Every effect on a spell have its saving throws set individually, so it is just a matter of not setting a saving throw for the dispel invisibility effect. Ditto for the "prevent invisibility", stated by @kjeron .

Edit: Fixed what drunk-me posted wrong.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    sarevok57
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited February 2018
    I must admit that I didn't realise it could be used to dispel invisibility until I did one of Dorn's quests in SoA where you need Dispel Invisibility, which I didn't have in my spellbook. I was able however to acquire a suspiciously convenient Wand of Glitterdust remarkably close to where I needed DI and found that it did the trick.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Are you sure about Glitterdust used to be able to detect invisibility? I think that it, like many other spells, cannot target invisible creatures. So, there is no failing the saving throw, for invisible creatures, because they cannot be targeted in the first place. When I did my solo sorcerer Black Pit run, I actually had to go back a couple of saves to exchange glitterdust for detect invisibility, because it seemed to NEVER work.
    @DrakeICN You don't target a creature with glitterdust, its area of effect.
    DrakeICN said:

Are you sure about Glitterdust used to be able to detect invisibility? I think that it, like many other spells, cannot target invisible creatures. So, there is no failing the saving throw, for invisible creatures, because they cannot be targeted in the first place. When I did my solo sorcerer Black Pit run, I actually had to go back a couple of saves to exchange glitterdust for detect invisibility, because it seemed to NEVER work.

the thing that is nice about glitterdust is that you don't have to target anyone with it, since it has a radius effect, you can just cast it on the ground near the creature that is invisible ( thats how i found out it can be used on invisible creatures )
    ThacoBelldunbar
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited February 2018
    It is an AOE, but unlike fireball, that just spread everywhere, it splits into small magical balls that go after each creature in sight, like horror. I think it used to be that it only creates one ball per visible creature.

Edit: I dont remember, does glitterdust exist in IWD? Because the dwarven kingdom invaded by fire salamanders have one area where you are swarmed by backstabbing theives. I dont have a save there, no more, so I can't test it out, but if someone else have, the matter could be settled once and for all...
    all spells from the bg series is in IWD
    semiticgoddessThacoBell

sarevok57 said:

all spells from the bg series is in IWD

I think Glitterdust was not in BG1, but was added in BG2. So it did not (I think) exist in IWD which was released in between.

IWDEE contains all spells from BG2, so Glitterdust exists there. I don't know whether there are any scrolls for it, or whether you can only get it through the Chargen/sorcerer menus.
    that is what i meant to say, that it's available in IWD EE ( it was not in the vanilla versions of BG1 or IWD )

and orrick will sell you a scroll of it, although i think you need to go to the severed hand first before it becomes available
    @DrakeICN I use Glitterdust to detect already invisible opponents, it works.
    Aerakar
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Souplesse said:

Yes ! A very serious alternative of « detect invisibility » for a sorcerer.

Or even better, for a Conjurer! Conjurers normally cannot cast divination spells, but here's a Conjuration spell that lets them deal with invisibility anyway!
    sarevok57StummvonBordwehrgorgonzola[Deleted User]
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i sometimes use glitterdust with my sorcerers, and it let's me save some other spell choices as is a low level spell that let you choose other spells at higher levels.
    a side effect is that being conjuration it completely ignores si divination and the type of invisibility, like the thief detect illusions does.
    but if i get it right the enemies becomes visible only if they fail a saving throw, while the divination spells always work if SI divination is not active and the spell can reveal that level of invisibility.
    Ludwig_II
    i sometimes use glitterdust with my sorcerers, and it let's me save some other spell choices as is a low level spell that let you choose other spells at higher levels. a side effect is that being conjuration it completely ignores si divination and the type of invisibility, like the thief detect illusions does. but if i get it right the enemies becomes visible only if they fail a saving throw, while the divination spells always work if SI divination is not active and the spell can reveal that level of invisibility.

my level 2 arcane slots are always glitterdust and melf's acid arrow
    Ludwig_IIgorgonzola
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    And I'm sitting here with a party that normally has an inquisitor (either me or keldorn if I'm playign a cavalier). 

So I'm just used to broken ass true sight =/
    sarevok57
    Kuronagorgonzola