Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @Stromael said...
    I've definitely got to learn to recognise the incantations for each school of magic, to have any chance of anticipating imminent annihilation. Don't suppose anybody's got some tips for those?
    While I don't know off hand, however, I do know there's an answer in the old BioWare forum threads - Alesia_BH spelled this out one time. The answer is one of these archived threads, but not sure where off-hand, maybe someone can help you find it:

Archived BioWare BG 1 forum thread

Archived BioWare BG 2 forum thread

Wise_GrimwaldCharlestonianTemplarCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Alteration can also indicate Slow, another very dangerous spell early on, and Necromancy can indicate Skull Trap, both of which have a quick casting time of 3. Note that Flame Strike and Finger of Death are actually very slow-casting spells, with casting times of 8 and 7, respectively.
    Wise_GrimwaldCharlestonianTemplarBorcoCrevsDaak
    edited January 2019
    @Stromael said...
    Zordral whupped me first time round because of his Mirror Image blocking my weapons and thus allowing him to pop off a couple of Sleep spells, incapacitating my whole party.

Ah I see. That's right you are SCS. In that case, your dual-wielding warrior using greenstone amulet might be able almost solo him, as I believe the amulet protects against sleep. Potions of magic shielding would work too, but they are quite rare in BG 1. Potions of magic blocking are pretty plentiful however, and would work well for this case.
    BlackravenCharlestonianTemplarCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    No Protection from Lightning; clerics don't level that fast. I fought some spiders in the Baldur's Gate sewers and in the Cloakwood, but ultimately, I realized that ankhegs or wyverns were the most time-efficient source of XP, so I just spawned 40 wyverns over the course of several days. Baeloth is now level 8, our other sorcerer is level 6, and our cleric is now level 7. I think we're ready now.
    BlackravenWise_GrimwaldCharlestonianTemplarCrevsDaak
    @semiticgod if you aren't using the randomizer, then a green scroll protection from lightning and Mulahey's boots would be 100%. Potion of absorption would also give you 100% lighting protection. Best combo is using the boots and the green scroll, as you would have protection for long time.
    Wise_GrimwaldCharlestonianTemplarStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Stromael said...
    I've definitely got to learn to recognise the incantations for each school of magic, to have any chance of anticipating imminent annihilation. Don't suppose anybody's got some tips for those?
    While I don't know off hand, however, I do know there's an answer in the old BioWare forum threads - Alesia_BH spelled this out one time. The answer is one of these archived threads, but not sure where off-hand, maybe someone can help you find it:

Archived BioWare BG 1 forum thread

Archived BioWare BG 2 forum thread

Here they are by @BelgarathMTH, or Saros Shadow Follower, or someone else. I don't know who is the first author.

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"
    2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"
    3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without"
    4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"
    5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"
    6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"
    7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"
    8) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

Or you might just use the JimFix mod with ''Add spell school notifications to the combat log'' component. This way you'll be aware of the school of coming spell even with the sound off.
    I can't take any credit for that reference of the incantations. I clearly either linked it or copy-pasted it from somewhere, but those are definitely not mine. Whenever I shared the info, it was years ago, so I have no memory at all of what the context might have been. I'm sorry, but I don't remember where the information came from, either. 
    CharlestonianTemplarCorey_RussellWise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    Alteration can also indicate Slow, another very dangerous spell early on, and Necromancy can indicate Skull Trap, both of which have a quick casting time of 3. Note that Flame Strike and Finger of Death are actually very slow-casting spells, with casting times of 8 and 7, respectively.
    I've double checked this to find out that both arcane and divine FoDs actually cast at 5, so it's somewhere in between. 
    CharlestonianTemplarBlackravenWise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Flashburn said:

The fight with Tor'Gal is just a slugfest.  Why does he have extra-healing potions?  Why doesn't he fall down when he's near death?

Tor'Gal doesn't fall down when near death because he's Tor'Gal. He's not some ordinary troll; he's special.
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325

Back in Trademeet Raissa was rescued and restored and the mantle of Waukeen was recovered and brought to Logan Coprith. None of the party's good deeds led to any reputation gains, so Amahoro donated thousands of recently earned gold at the temple of waukeen to boost the party's rep to 18.
    IIRC, you'll get a reputation point by talking to Tidir's parents after you've restored Raissa. 
    EnuhalCharlestonianTemplarGrond0CrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Borco said:

Back in Trademeet Raissa was rescued and restored and the mantle of Waukeen was recovered and brought to Logan Coprith. None of the party's good deeds led to any reputation gains, so Amahoro donated thousands of recently earned gold at the temple of waukeen to boost the party's rep to 18.
    IIRC, you'll get a reputation point by talking to Tidir's parents after you've restored Raissa. 
    If you're not greedy when you return the mantle you get a point of reputation for that as well.  Along with the point you get for defeating Faldorn that means you can get a quick boost of 3 in Trademeet (and you also have to complete the skinner quest before Tirdir's quest opens, which provides another).
    Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    @Blackraven By the way if you like roleplaying that npcs get strongholds you can install the NPC Strongholds mod from Gibberlings. Some surprises there too, though I once lost half my party to the Paladin Stronghold questline :).
    Wise_Grimwald