Skip to content

Baldur's Gate stream with Kate Welch (WotC)

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
Kate Welch, game designer at Wizards of the Coast, will play Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition on Twitch tomorrow at 3pm PST in her new show - Welch's Game Juice!

Join Kate to have fun with DnD and Baldur's Gate (and if you miss our streams)!

Want to know more about Kate Welch - check out https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/25/rosie-beestinger-interview-dds-kate-welch/
lolienTorgrimmerDreadKhanStummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]TressetelminsteranastielSkatanAerakar

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609

Though I think the addition of story mode is a nice option to help new players get a feel for the game, or perhaps get through a section of it that they are finding just to frustrating for their current skill level, I agree that it doesn’t allow for a true understanding of the world or gameplay.

It didn’t occur to me, until now, that Kate might be intending to remain in story mode for her entire play-through. I’m afraid that I would soon become bored with watching her continued efforts, if this were the case. For me, much of the fun is watching how a new player chooses to take on the games challenges.

I personally love the easier settings, but full on story mode goes too far, for me. Without the potential of having to witness that dreaded death hand disintegrating before me, I would soon be bored to tears. :)

FlashburnSkatanAlonso
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited February 2019
    Similar to how Legacy of Bhaal mode has a confirmation popup explaining what exactly the player is in for, can Story Mode have a confirmation popup explaining "In this mode, you cannot be killed and certain bonuses are in effect: {list of bonuses}. Are you sure you want to play on Story Mode?"

Also I'm surprised Kate is so busy being a murderhobo that she missed Imoen leaving due to villainy. You'd think her time as a tabletop player would kick in and say "hey, maybe murder everyone isn't the best way to win friends and influence people" (though she's going to have a kickass time with some of the more... colorful party members)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Here's the YouTube video of her second episode:

Skatan
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Thels wrote: »
    I honestly found this pretty cringeworthy to watch and gave up relatively early into the first episode.

lol :)
    lolienPokotadeltago
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Reputation is also just on the befault tab that opens on the records screen.
    JuliusBorisov
    Brainssss...
    JuliusBorisov
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Game Designer at WotC says "I started playing at fourth edition and I know nothing about the previous ones".

That makes me sad. Especially knowing that WotC calls the shots over BG/IWD: games based on the 2nd Edition ruleset.

Really? Unless you want to have only older people it is clear that some of the employees will not have experienced the beginnings of AD&D. And it is hardly as if she is the only game developer at WotC. I think it is good that they have some younger people with fresher perspectives working there, and not only the veterans.
    PokotaCalmar
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2019
    Ignorance =/= fresh perspective. I'm appalled that someone who won't bother learning about the foundations of D&D can land a job developing new D&D products.
    RaduzielMERLANCEDawgliciousPrince_Raymond
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Yes, and I'm even more surprised that she says that naturally like she was saying "I don't know a thing about Astrophysics".
    MERLANCEDawglicious
    But Baldur's Gate (and related games) is not a perfectly faithful representation of the AD&D rules/experience. So really it's like asking an Astrophysicist to enjoy using a rocket that runs on Aristotelian physics (rather than the more familiar and more recent Newtonian physics)