Skip to content

[mod] Minsc Friendship

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
edited January 2019 in BGII:EE Mods
Some good news!

We are happy to announce that Minsc Friendship (NPC IEP) is now available! Grab our favorite Rashemi, his mighty friend Boo and go kick some evil butts! The mod adds talks for both SoA and ToB, works on both BG2 and BG2EE... and that's not all! Want to ask Boo some questions? Go ahead! It's now possible. And be enlightened with his space wisdom!

Download

Forum

Thanks to @LiamEsler and @AionZ for all the help!

JuliusBorisovDawgliciousThacoBellCaszidyAedanGusindaMantis37megamike15EekanImplolien

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    HAMSTER AND RANGERS EVERYWHERE, REJOICE!!!
    CaszidyAedan
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Yay. I helped.
    GusindaLavaDelVortelThacoBell
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Friendship mods for everyone! YES! THANK YOU! <3
    ThacoBell
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited February 2019
    you know maybe it's a good thing i keep putting off doing another full run. so many mods coming out for me to enjoy.

edit: here are the characters still missing a friendship mod for those wondering

edwin
    Jaheira
    aerie has wings but it's not finished so this is a technically.
    Anomen 
    Jan 
    keldorn
    and nalia

AedanEekanImpJuliusBorisov
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Thanks Lava! My next BG2 party is gonna be composed by Valygar , Mazzy and Cernd because of Romance+friendship mods , now I'm adding Minsc to test your new mod as well. =D 
    LavaDelVortel
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy all of them!
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    you know maybe it's a good thing i keep putting off doing another full run. so many mods coming out for me to enjoy.

edit: here are the characters still missing a friendship mod for those wondering

edwin
    Jaheira
    Anomen 
    Jan 
    keldorn
    and nalia

Jaheira, Aerie, Anomen have vanilla romances.  Then again, so does Viconia, and there's a Viconia friendship mod.

I could have sworn I've seen a Nalia friendship.  Of course there's at least 2 romances for her (one being a rare NPC-NPC romance).

So that leaves Edwin, Jan, and Keldorn.  Scraping the bottom of the barrel there.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

edwin
    Jaheira
    Anomen 
    Jan 
    keldorn
    and nalia

Jaheira, Aerie, Anomen have vanilla romances.  Then again, so does Viconia, and there's a Viconia friendship mod.

I could have sworn I've seen a Nalia friendship.  Of course there's at least 2 romances for her (one being a rare NPC-NPC romance).

So that leaves Edwin, Jan, and Keldorn.  Scraping the bottom of the barrel there.

I think that Aerie and Jaheira's initial lovetalks could be easily converted into friendship talks with a female character. It's kinda awkward that such conversations about loss (Jaheira's) or motivation to persevere (Aerie's) can not be started as a friendly talk.
    Isewein

edwin
    Jaheira
    Anomen 
    Jan 
    keldorn
    and nalia

there is a diffrence between a friendship and a romance. some people want to have the character have lines over the course of the game that is not about romancing charname. that's why people make them.

yoshimo has both a romance and a friendship mod as does imoen.  keldorn and nalia both have romance mods but i would not mind them also having a friendship mod, same with edwin.
    Kurona
  • DrAzTiKDrAzTiK Member Posts: 50
    Gj Lava ;)
    Thank you!
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Jaheria's romance is essentially a friendship until the last five talks or so, and even these could easily be rewritten to accommodate. I've coded a Jaheira 'friendship' (simply the romance minus the erotic parts, really) for my personal mod collection a while ago, but the issue in hosting it as a mod is that you either have to use the existing strings and modify some conditions, which could lead to awkward mod interactions treating your friendship as a romance, or copy the whole thing as a parallel structure, like the Viconia Friendship does - but in Jaheira's case that would involve virtually every single dialogue.
    thats like how wings does it. besides the first 2 talks alot of them are modified aerie romance talks used for a friendship track.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Aerie's Romance is easier though in so far as that it does not interact with quest events. For Jaheira, the problem would be that other mods could check for Jaheiraromanceactive=2 and treat it as a romance if simply rewritten, or on the other hand fail to reference the Harper quest events if those were to be duplicated with new variables altogether.
  • SinaheribSinaherib Member Posts: 38
    Really excited to see Minsc friendship! He is an awesome character but lacks content (like most other NPC though). Finally we have a chance to learn more about Giant Space Hamster and his ranger :)

As for romanceable characters - converting romances into friendships is a good idea, but I think additional friendship conversations won't hurt too. If we take Aerie, for example - many people don't like her because she is too focused on the loss on wings. Even though she is one of my favourite characters in BG2 I agree that it would be nice if she had additional content that would tell more about her personality. I'm currently playing with NPC Flirt Pack and you know, even flirts expand her personality and make her a bit more complex character. So, like I mentioned new content for them could be nice as well.
    megamike15Isewein
    i was actually wrong when i said wings was just repurposed aerie romance talks. they are acually new talks.

really all the official romances should also have a friendship mod. they make it so you get to know the character without having to romance them which is a major issue with unmodded bg2.
    ThacoBell
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    @LavaDelVortel I have a question about the NPC Interaction Expansion Project.

I would lke to know if the IEP mods contain PIDS ? I have been trying to check the readms and it is not clear for me.

Any idea ?
    No, they add friendship paths only, they do not add PIDs or romances. The behind IEP was to add more story, but only using the original tools / approaches from BG2 and BG2 never used PIDs, they were added by mods.
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    @LavaDelVortel Would you recommand your mod with "0: The Kidnapping of Boo by Cliffette" from BG2 Unfinished Business ?

I mean, are they fitting well together (content-wize) ?
    I barely remember the mod, never liked that component, and it may look weird if Boo will be making his "squeaks" during the dialogue while the other mod states he's kidnapped. It may look quite bizarre.
    pretty sure the last time i played with minsc all his friendship talks were finished before boo even got kidnapped.
    It all depends. The readme says:
    A: With this mod installed, you should be able to experience up to 16 dialogues in SoA - 5 timered ones, another 5 if your character match special conditions and up to 6 situational talks. You can experience up to 4 dialogues in ToB. You can have some easter-egg Boo dialogues. Just click "converse" while browsing Boo's item description.

So yeah, timered one may end on 5 but there may be 10 (timered ones) if certain conditions are met.