Skip to content

What are the maximum number of skill points you can put in a thieving skill? And how should I do it?

I currently have: Pick Pockets: 180, Open Locks: 130, Find Traps: 130, Move Silently: 130, Hide In Shadows: 130, Detect Illusion 100, and Set Traps 130. What is the maximum per skill and what should I allocate my future skills on?

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2019
    I believe the max is 255. At this point in your career you won't gain anything by adding to Pick Locks, Find Traps, Set Traps or Detect Illusion. You could either max out Pick Pockets or add to your stealth depending on your style of play. If your stealth is high enough you can have a reasonable chance of hiding outside in full daylight. Pick Pockets will allow you to steal from individuals with high perception (other thieves for instance).
    Post edited by Balrog99 on
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Normally, there is basically no advantage in having more than 100 in Open Locks, Find Traps, Detect Illusion, or Set Traps. Almost all locks and traps in the game that can be picked or disarmed require less than 100 Open Locks or Find Traps to pick or disarm.

If you'd like there to be an advantage in having more than 100 in Open Locks, Find Traps, Detect Illusion, or Set Traps, you could try my mod Epic Thieving.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    The advantage of having values greater than 100 in Open Locks and Find Traps are two-fold:

Unmodded, it mostly allows you to have your Simulacrae perform at 100%. (similarly, it allows you to perform at 100% when your level is drained, but hopefully you wouldn't allow that to happen in the first place)

It also allows you to maintain a 100% skill when wearing heavier armor. In base game, even if you can equip heavy armor, you are blocked from using your thief skills when inside that heavy armor. The -10 that you get from Studded Leather is not very impressive. But since UAI allows your thief to wear full plate armor, I find it only reasonable that your thief should be able to do thief things in full plate armor.

As a minor annoyance for good-natured protagonist thieves, there is a point where your dexterity is reduced permanently, which reduces your skills by 5%.