Skip to content

I don't like the loot bar

Comments

• ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited November 2014
    When someone calls something an exploit and says it should be fixed and then turns around and lets another exploit slide I'd say it's justifiable to say that's hypocrisy and the person is being a hypocrite.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    things that you mention are not exploits because they're old features, emblematic of the game or simply basic controls, such as pause.

but instant looting as presented in IWD:EE is not widely accepted, not fully understood yet, i've demonstrated that it has gameplay implications outside of convenience and i have every right in the world to express criticism.

don't speak of my character any more. you don't even know what hypocritical means apparently.
    edited November 2014
    Saying that there's a new mechanic to exploit in a game full of old mechanics to exploit doesn't give a free pass to old exploits.

Your standards of immersion (when the original game already wrecks immersion a lot) and trying to get rid of exploits (when the original game fails at doing that) and disregard for don't like it, don't use it (when this is how players treated the original exploits) are hypocritical.

Because players in the past all had to deal with these exploits and just really didn't care and passed it off as the IE engine being exploitable but not to the point that the exploits couldn't be ignored.

So if we're going to go with the spirit of the original games: Don't like it? Don't use it. Because that's how players back then dealt with the cheese and exploits in the IE games.

Unless you can somehow show how Quick Loot exploits is somehow significantly worse compared to exploits players could perform back then, then it's no different from having to deal with the exploits that come from the Pause system in exchange for the convenience it provides.
    so basically according to you, the devs can introduce virtually any change and we have to accept and can't even criticize it as long as it can be safely ignored in accordance to *your* standards of what immersion is like.

i can't go along with that, feels absurd to me. your complaining about me complaining actually isn't even on-topic, its on-me.
    realshemp
    edited November 2014
    My standard of immersion?

I'm not even talking about my standard of immersion.

I'm talking about the game's standard for immersion. A person being able to carry a thousand sticks and instantly give hundreds of those to someone else a dozen or two dozen feet away in an instant while casting a magic spell in the middle of a battle. Game says that's totally possible.

This nonsense is what the game forces players to accept. And somehow being able to teleport items on the ground into their backpack in battle breaks immersion? When those items will just end up there anyway, Quick Loot doesn't even come close to the ridiculousness of the inventory system.

Also yes I am talking about your standard of immersion, because it's high enough to complain about quick loot during battle but low enough to give the game's ridiculous inventory system a pass.
    luskan said:

There used to be a time when you didn't have the loot bar. And before that, you had to manually add up your stat rolls. And before that, you couldn't press a key to highlight items on the ground or doors/chests/hidden stashes. And before that, there were no inventory management containers like gem bags and ammo belts. And before that you had to play BG with 6 CDs and swap them constantly unless you had the disk space to do a full install.

you're not following - i'm pro loot bar

i love the loot bar, it's amazing

the only point of concern for me is what will the version of the loot bar from IWD (i realize now that i's the "proper" version as older ones were actual not fully functional) being implemented in BG and BG2 do to those games.

i've humbly offered an idea for how to in-my-view quite elegantly dispel those concerns for me or other people who might have them. the devs don't seem to be showing interest and i'm quite alright with that.

it's a minor point, not that important for me or probably anyone else and this eccentric protracted discussion has run it's course.

• luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    bob_veng said:

you're not following - i'm pro loot bar

i love the loot bar, it's amazing.

My rant was not directed at you or any one person in particular. Your post ninja'd mine.
    bob_veng said:

it's a minor point, not that important for me or probably anyone else and this eccentric protracted discussion has run it's course.

Agreed.
    ah, sorry.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    My feelings on this thread.
    Sedbooinyoureyesjackjack
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    The loot bar is awesome, and is even more awesome in Icewind Dale. But I also LOVE the other time-saving convenience feature that they just implemented:

When you change characters while choosing spells for the day, they will switch books for you when you go from an arcane caster-->divine caster or vice versa. Awesome.

All we need now is a quick way to change weapon combos, like they had in Icewind Dale 2 (one of its best features)
    CaptRoryNonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    This gnome walks into a bar.

"Ouch. That was a low bar."

A bard walks into a bar.

"One lute please barman."
    JuliusBorisov
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    I personally prefer the BG style quick loot (move to pick up everything but coins) behavior despite it not being the intended behavior.
  • oldgamer518oldgamer518 Member Posts: 18
    wigglesg said:

Hmm, so quick loot works differently in BG than in IWD then? I've been playing BG (on Android) and when you quick loot you can pick up coins without moving but anything else my char will move to the appropriate loot pile.

correct
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    I love the quick loot bar. If you don't, just deactivate it imho. It even does you the favor of being turned off by default.
    CluasCaptRoryJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • RahonaOstrimoRahonaOstrimo Member Posts: 40
    The quick loot is a great feature which makes it so much easier to play the game on a large screen resolution, which everyone have today compared to then :) or on a tablet. I am playing through Icewind dale 2 and would really love having quick loot in the game. Thanks for this contribution beamdog.
    Balrog99StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The quick loot is a great feature which makes it so much easier to play the game on a large screen resolution, which everyone have today compared to then :) or on a tablet. I am playing through Icewind dale 2 and would really love having quick loot in the game. Thanks for this contribution beamdog.

Thread necro winner for the day! It was quite interesting to scroll through those heated arguments from five years ago....
    [Deleted User]enqenq
    i still think it would have been a nice touch if it was disabled when enemies are visible.
    [Deleted User]
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    NWN EE direly needs this, im actually blown away this isn't in that game, picking up loot in NWN makes me want to jump in front of a moving bus

i declare that beamdog add the loot bar to NWN EE, and if people dont like it, as it's been said, you aren't forced to use it ;)
    [Deleted User]
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    Personally i dont view it as a cheat because my party is careful about scouting... if someone runs off alone to go loot a body 200 yards away i would expect them to get ambushed by monsters. Role playing wise the smart or wise guy would speak up - in game i just dont run a char near unexplored areas to loot - i use a stealthed rogue or invised party member to scout
    [Deleted User]
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    playing iwd 2 atm. i miss the dang loot bar i hate having to pick up every single pile just to find the key item i need to progress.. the ee are just so much better when you go back to a game using the original ie.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    NWN EE direly needs this, im actually blown away this isn't in that game, picking up loot in NWN makes me want to jump in front of a moving bus

i declare that beamdog add the loot bar to NWN EE, and if people dont like it, as it's been said, you aren't forced to use it ;)

i'm surprised alot of ee features arnt in nwn ee. the game still has load screens, no loot bar. must be due to it being 3d.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Thread necro winner for the day! It was quite interesting to scroll through those heated arguments from five years ago....
    There's never too much heat in the Spine of the World. We could form a settlement here!

The Ten Towns are now the Eleven Towns! We welcome the brave new village Loot Bar Controversy.
    Balrog99
  • drdavedrdave Member Posts: 4
    Thinking about the ability to transfer hundreds of arrows from on character to another mid-combat. I'm fairly certain that in the original (6CD) version of BG, you couldn't use the inventory screen whilst paused, if you opened the inventory, pause got turned off. I think you also had much smaller ammo stacks (20 IIRC).
    Does that sound familiar to anyone else?
    realshemp
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    drdave wrote: »
    Thinking about the ability to transfer hundreds of arrows from on character to another mid-combat. I'm fairly certain that in the original (6CD) version of BG, you couldn't use the inventory screen whilst paused, if you opened the inventory, pause got turned off. I think you also had much smaller ammo stacks (20 IIRC).
    Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

Sounds about right.
    Zaxares
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Yep, Julius is correct. I was watching a Let's Play of classic BG1 a couple months back and the behaviour of inventory and ammo stacks is exactly as you remember. It may be a change that made the game "easier", but I think the improvement in quality of life for the player is worth it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    edited November 2019
    I don’t like the loot bar either.....I luv it!!!

The feature is essential when playing the game on 2 by 4 inch touch pad screen (iOS).
    The feature is by no mean a waste of time and effort, but a must have for tablets
    (and consoles I’d reckon).

Beamdig has planned carefully for the cross platform performance - and rightfully so. The game is great on both console and tablet.
    Thank you for that Beamdog.

I still have the original cd’s (and I bought a new used set when the first set where worn down). If I want 100% nostalgia I can play the old ones, if a want a new enhanced edition I play the new game - it truly is enhanced and still paying 100 % homage to the old game imho.

Ps. The old games are shelved in the attic if you must know.
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
    JuliusBorisovZaghoulBalrog99Gusinda
  • realshemprealshemp Member Posts: 33
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Yep, Julius is correct. I was watching a Let's Play of classic BG1 a couple months back and the behaviour of inventory and ammo stacks is exactly as you remember. It may be a change that made the game "easier", but I think the improvement in quality of life for the player is worth it.

I disagree... in an RPG any QoL change that takes away from realism is a BAD thing.
  • realshemprealshemp Member Posts: 33
    I don’t like the loot bar either.....I luv it!!!

The feature is essential when playing the game on 2 by 4 inch touch pad screen (iOS).
    The feature is by no mean a waste of time and effort, but a must have for tablets
    (and consoles I’d reckon).

Beamdig has planned carefully for the cross platform performance - and rightfully so. The game is great on both console and tablet.
    Thank you for that Beamdog.

Is still have the original cd’s (and I bought a new used set when the first set where worn down). If I want 100% nostalgia I can play the old ones, if a want a new enhanced edition I play the new game - it truly is enhanced and still paying 100 % homage to the old game imho.

Ps. The old games are shelved in the attic if you must know.

I disagree... I play on iOS and absolutely NEVER use the loot bar. I'm just glad that it's optional, if it was always on I doubt I would have continued to play these games.

In an RPG, especially one based on DnD, the PC should ABSOLUTELY have to search every body in the area to find that one specific item they are looking for. I play these games to get as close to a tabletop RPG experience as possible, and things like the loot bar and larger stacks and passing inventory around during battle all take away from this feel.

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    realshemp wrote: »
    Zaxares wrote: »

I disagree... in an RPG any QoL change that takes away from realism is a BAD thing.

Yeah dude, casting a fireball against a troll is realistic as hell. That's exactly what D&D games are, realistic.
    lol