Skip to content

An early technical demonstration of the new shader pipeline (NWN:EE). Feedback is welcomed!

Comments

• TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Woot this makes me happy thank you @JuliusBorisov for this wonderful news.
    JuliusBorisovLudwig_II
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Exciting stuff. Just took a stroll through the released sample of areas in The Wailing Death. Looks a hundred times better. So cool!

JuliusBorisovLudwig_IITorgrimmer
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    Nice "after" shots,  please post some "before" screenshots so we can see the difference.   Besides  everything looking shinier what are we supposed to notice?
    JuliusBorisovJFKTorgrimmerIsewein
    edited January 2019
    @Calgacus good idea. It helps to read the descriptions of the posted images, for an idea of what changes you're seeing, too. 

Those two are from 7 images posted at the Vault website, linked in Julius' top post. All images have descriptions if you hover over them, that tell what is being showcased.

-JFK

edited to note that all the images show changes only to shaders/material maps. No changes to the shapes of models. So the plaster one shows how the look of depth between the beams and the plaster can be achieved, without increasing the polycount or changing the actual geometry of the model. Pretty awesome!

JuliusBorisovTorgrimmer
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I remember seeing these on the vault, they seem to have a lot of information there and are trying to standardize some material settings I think. People should definitely give the vault page and the google doc a look through.
    JuliusBorisov

Here's a couple corresponding shots without the shaders and textures.

-JFK

JuliusBorisov
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Very nice love the changes.
    JuliusBorisovricoyung
  • TalimeTalime Member Posts: 71
    These look sooooooo awesome!! I can't wait to see my forest with these shaders!
    Unbelievable how a 2d potatoemash texture can look so great.

Keep up that great work guys! And don't rush ... done when it's truely done.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArtosArtos Member Posts: 16
    This looks excellent! Are there demos of non-torchlight available? I'd love to see this with some colorful VFX. Also, maybe seeing a short video to show how the light sparkles would be groovy!
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Great to see NWN improving visually!

Will there be ceilings?
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    I too would love ceilings for the standard indoor tile sets - entering into a first person perspective would be so much prettier.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    Not to just say it just to be different but I wouldn't like ceilings in interiors unless you can disable them. I never play in first person view, ever.
    TarotRedhandPrince_Raymond
  • SneakWalkerSneakWalker Member Posts: 49
    edited February 2019
    So, what is this? ?a0ayx60gyyi5.png
    I want it. ?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @SneakWalker That was a technical demo showing off what a talented modder can do with newly opened options in Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition. It showed a work-in-progress of options Beamdog was exploring in March, 2018.

The info from the OP is much newer.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    What a talented modder can do? Was that a quiet walkback of the plan to make new assets?
  • bladeshriekbladeshriek Member Posts: 16
    I'm really excited about these enhancements after looking at the above screenshots.

However, I think in terms of hooking in new users and keeping them playing the game desperately needs improvements to character models / faces / textures.

The environment looks better than the characters in these screenshots. In general, you want the reverse to be true (particularly for a roleplaying game).
    dTd
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    I'm really excited about these enhancements after looking at the above screenshots.

However, I think in terms of hooking in new users and keeping them playing the game desperately needs improvements to character models / faces / textures.

Or bringing back old ones. I played a bit after release but the dated look kept me from getting hooked again. After seeing the enhanced Hall of Justice I'm excited to see the entire game looking like that.

Still checking forums every day waiting for the "real" enhanced edition to begin, whether its a glorious expansion or just evolved assets for Aurora toolset.
    SneakWalker
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Looks good, the difference is very noticeable. Will be excited to see what they do with this later on.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited March 2019
    After playing the demo with the new shaders and textures (and a serious FPS drop), I have come to the painful realization that I need a new video card. It's likely I need to upgrade my entire system. Currently running Windows 7 64-bit on a Dell Inspiron 660 with an Intel i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30 GHz (4 CPUs), 6GB RAM, and an AMD Radeon HD 5450 as my dedicated video card. (Begins singing Hank Williams Jr.) "Have pity on a dinosaur." Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    After playing the demo with the new shaders and textures (and a serious FPS drop)...

Really hoping this is due to your "dated" specs... I thought this was supposed to improve performance? EE already has a huge FPS drop since 1.69/diamond when there's lots of spells and enemies on screen in PWs. And i have a nice video card, can handle much newer games than nwn...

It's not quite so simple as getting good performance for using newer graphics techniques. NWN2 used newer graphics techniques and it was a huge resource hog. So getting things right and properly optimized will probably also be a part of the process.
    DerpCityZwerkulesJFK
  • jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    Maybe it will support extended drawdistance as well? :#
    Isewein
    Depending on what you mean technically you can increase the view distance but there were some issues the last time I checked i.e. viewable at distance but fading from view when interacting at distance. There's a Trello discussion for that too I think, the area rendering and camera customization thread, if I remember correctly.
  • ULKULK Member Posts: 1
    Will one have to update to using the new renderer, or can one remain using the old one, while still staying with the most up to date version of the game? Having tried the tech demo out, I dislike how it looks, and much rather the trimmed down and classical appearance of neverwinter nights. If it will become mandatory to update, will it be possible to disable, or not use most of the new features, to limit its impact on the game?
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited April 2019
    Forgive me for being dense and asking what to some will be blindingly obvious. I have looked inside some of your custom shaders and quite simply if you wrote it in Chinese I'd have more chance of understanding them. So here is my question.

I have found a fully public domain resource for textures. These textures all have specular, normal and diffuse parts. The thing is that some of them also have height and glow information. But they are not separate image files. Instead the unused alpha channels of the normal and specular maps are utilised. The normal has the greyscale height and the specular has the glow. I believe this is done this way so that these textures are unity compliant.

The question is can the new engine/shaders/material/whatever handle these correctly? If not these really good looking textures will go to waste or is there some way of automatically extracting this information and converting them for the new scheme (Bimp?).

One other thing. Are emissive maps the same as glow maps?

Thanks in advance.

TR
  • sandronejmsandronejm Member Posts: 70
    edited April 2019
    Some time ago I was disappointed with the visual of the enhanced edition I really wasnt hoping changes and I am surprised with these pictures they look amazing it is like a really strong visual change it is now visually a truly Enhanced Edition of Neverwinter Nights!!!!