Skip to content

[Mod] Gavin NPC for BGII now with BGII:EE and EET compatibility

jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
edited February 2019 in BGII:EE Mods
Gavin for BG2

Author: berelinde

Gavin is an NPC mod for Baldur's Gate II, the BG2 portion of BGT, BGII:EE, and (the BG2 portion of) EET. He is a Morninglord of Lathander and can be found in the Temple of Ilmater on the roof of the Copper Coronet in the Slums.
The mod is the continuation of the Gavin BG1 mod.
Version v21 is the full BGII version including ToB content. Changes were bug fixes and the addition of BGII:EE as well as EET versions.

Learn more about the mod
Visit the Forum
Download the mod

Post edited by jastey on
Notabarbiegirlmegamike15StefanOAerakarFina92RavenslightlolienEekanImpBlackraven

Comments

• NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    o:)<3:*
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited March 2017
    after i just downloaded the beta to. does this have what little of the tob content berelinden made or is it just soa?

edit: ok it has the tob stuff as well. well looks like im finally gonna use gavin in a future run.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited March 2017
    This is the full version with all ToB content that was written, yes. There are no nighttalks because berelinde didn't write those, but I think it can be called a full ToB version nontheless.

Thank you both for your interest and let me know if you encounter any problems!
    EDIT: added a bit to the description in the first post to make it clearer.
    Notabarbiegirl
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @jastey Ive been playing with this a little. There are a few ticks with the NPC's in the locked house behind the BW inn. One is a reply by Gustav Invalid:1677215. It is after all his 'folks' had been killed and talked to again. It does not seem to hurt much but just thought I would report it. This was without Gavin in the party at the time. The three thug boys will follow a party out the door and all over town as well, if a fight is not initiated and CHARNAME leaves, they do not turn red, just follow.
    edited May 2017
    ...Maybe they wanted to be extra sure the PC left the premisses?...

Thank you for the report (although it's for the BG1 mod, not BGII). The following-around is because the assigned game script "FIGHTER2".BCS" does something completely different than it did in original BGII (e.g. moving the cre to the PC).

The invalid string I don't understand, though - mainly because Gustav is supposed to leave after the dialogue path went to a hostile outcome? So, I'd think it was rather an engine thing, giving an invalid for Gustav because he wasn't supposed to be there. If you can confirm the staying Gustav, I'd need to know which dialogue path you went (quote the last line, if possible). EDIT: Ah, I found it. There is indeed one dialogue path where Gustav remains standing. I don't get the invalid, though. But this will be changed so he'll run once a fight starts, too.

EDIT: I also noticed they don't react if one of them gets attacked. This needs a hostile shout, I would say.

Thank you very much for the report!
    Post edited by jastey on
    @jastey I think that covers it, can't remember which line I used but sounds like you found it with Gustav staying (he does) AND the additional, I forgot about the 'boys' not all goin hostile if one attacks. Yeah, not sure when I'll be in BG2 again. Too many new mods to try out still in BG.

Also wanted to ask
    Is the mage upatairs +3 staff supposed to be a duplicate of the one in Ulgoth's Beard or a replacement, removing the UB martial staff? Just asking, not too many +3 weapons in the game

Oh, nice touch with Gav and spiders, he notices the one from the animal companion mod for druids as well. Not sure if a companion animal was supposed to trigger it but it makes since regardless.
    edited May 2017
    I identified the invalid references, that was a good catch! It was strings assigned to the cre that obviously came from the game the cre was taken upon mod creation and wheren't meant to be there.
    Not sure about the staff - I don't think it was meant to have a special purpose. If it's too powerful for BG1 I can replace it with a +2 staff, maybe. What's the general opinion (this is the BG1 part of the mod we are talking about, although it's the BGII thread)? EDIT: I made a topic here.

Thanks for the praise, berelinde is the mod author, I'm only maintaining.
    Glad it finally showed up. Right off I would say reduce the power, +2 at most, as there is one a druid carries as well that is not to to obtain in Cloakwood.
    I think I'll do both - make the +3 staff undroppable (the opponent might be too weak otherwise) and make her drop a +1 staff.
    Thank you for your feedback!
    Zaghoul
    Both Gavin BG1 and BGII mods have been updated.
    lolienRavenslight
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Hey, I can't find a thread on here for BG1 (don't know if thats my fault or the less than great search function here) but I wanted to ask if Gavin is SoD compatible?
    The mod is compatible but Gavin won't be in the group in SoD.
    ThacoBellNotabarbiegirl
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    jastey said:

The mod is compatible but Gavin won't be in the group in SoD.

That would make the most sense; keeping his story line from BG1 - BG2 intact. Him being there would completely ruin how his story is written for the time away.
    tbone1
    That's what I thought, too - and since berelinde is not writing IE mods any more, it's even more perfect since Gavin still makes sense for the EE series (it's as if she'd planned this all along.) :)
    Notabarbiegirltbone1Aedan
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2019
    @jastey I'm trying to download it without success. Can you please send the mod to me through PM or provide another link?

Thanks!
    Sorry, the links in the first post were outdated due to G3's server move.
    Links are corrected now. Download is here: https://www.gibberlings3.net/files/file/714-gavin-npc-for-bg/
    Cool!
    Raduziel