Skip to content

next patch schedule?

its been months since the last patch and update to EE. Is there a schedule in place since the move?
DerpCity

Comments

• DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    I am also wondering about this.
  • JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165
    8187 dev branch was pusblished in december 2018 but I think they are delaying the patch because of the big things they have in the works.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    We needs info on them big things.
    Atrophiederic
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Let's hope an answer will be included into the March blog post with February questions (one of them was about the patch status for NWN:EE).
    DerpCityGrizzled_DwarflordTorgrimmerPrince_Raymond
  • DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    I hope it is something big.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Let's hope an answer will be included into the March blog post with February questions (one of them was about the patch status for NWN:EE).

I do not want to be a downer, but
    Let hope it not a one line sentence about all patching is on hold until the new render engine is ready.

I'm hoping for a few more script functions and/or more stability fix/crash fixes at least and/or moving the dev. patch to stable.
    DerpCityPrince_Raymonddunahan
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Well we can always hope about anything.
    Prince_RaymondDerpCity
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited March 2019
    Well, I have been in correspondence with Mr. @Shaiden, and he has assured me that they are still looking into the attack bonus miscalculation issue within the Combat UI. It has been a decade since I was given another opportunity to report this issue that started back in Critical Rebuild 1.68 of Neverwinter Nights Classic. Whether or not this issue gets fixed in the next Development or Retail Branch, I am content in knowing that I made good on that opportunity. I have been told that I have the patience of a saint. If I can wait 10 years for a second chance to report a bug, I can wait a while longer for it to get properly fixed. Both Hope and Faith spring eternal.

@Grizzled_Dwarflord I took the liberty of running an extensive search for any newly reported issues regarding Assassins' Death Attack on Redmine, but there were none listed that I could see. My advice, I would strongly suggest that you create a detailed bug report on https://support.baldursgate.com ASAP. Otherwise, how is @Beamdog supposed to look into an issue that has yet to be reported? Don't make the same mistake I made 10 years ago.

Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    JuliusBorisovdunahanAtrophiederic
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    edited March 2019

@Grizzled_Dwarflord I took the liberty of running an extensive search for any newly reported issues regarding Assassins' Death Attack on Redmine, but there were none listed that I could see. My advice, I would strongly suggest that you create a detailed bug report on https://support.baldursgate.com ASAP. Otherwise, how is @Beamdog supposed to look into an issue that has yet to be reported? Don't make the same mistake I made 10 years ago.
    I think you misunderstood. It's not a bug. It was a deliberate change by Beamdog. Originally, the Assassin could fire his debilitating Death Attack only in the first attack when the opponent was out of combat. This included only the first flurry of that attack. Someone either at Beamdog, or a community member convinced Beamdog, that this was "overpowered." If it was changed for another reason, I'm all ears, but their language clearly indicates it was for "balance." Balance? Balance?? It's hard to say it with a straight face. So their change was to nerf the flurry and make it only the initial contacting knife strike. See below:

tk66j612quq5.jpg

The irony being it only ever fired once per round anyway, and the subject and the attacker and everyone in the room had to be out of combat, and the victim had to be unaware of the attacker, and so on, and so on....
    Prince_Raymond
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Grizzled_Dwarflord If you feel so strongly about any feature, feel free to discuss it on this forum. If your suggestion gets enough feedback, it can appear on the Input Trello for public voting.

The approach with NWN:EE is that we're always listening to the community.
    @Grizzled_Dwarflord My apologies, sir. I had no idea that was a change made on @Beamdog's part.

@JuliusBorisov I would like to take this opportunity to give my support in having Assassin's Death Attack restored to its original implementation. Shall I post on the Suggestions Thread: Game Mechanics (scripts, spells, feats, combat) as well?
    JuliusBorisov
  • tfoxtfox Member Posts: 87
    @Grizzled_Dwarflord My apologies, sir. I had no idea that was a change made on @Beamdog's part.

@JuliusBorisov I would like to take this opportunity to give my support in having Assassin's Death Attack restored to its original implementation. Shall I post on the Suggestions Thread: Game Mechanics (scripts, spells, feats, combat) as well?

In 1.69, death attack could fire for each attack in the first flurry of a combat round that hit, it was a bug as it never should have been capable of forcing a saving throw 2,3,4 times around depending on the assassins number of attacks. The death attack damage still works like sneak attack regardless of if you're in combat or not so long as your opponent is flanked or flat-footed.

So no, that's a change that doesn't need to be reverted and if it was it should be by user choice to enable only.
    DerpCityPrince_Raymond
    There are a lot of incorrect implementations surrounding flurries, initiative, and flanking. It's probably best not to tweak these things unless Beamdog plans to do a complete combat overhaul. On the other hand it's also possible to fix or improve a lot of these things through modding and workarounds. Also considering the pace of previous updates it might be another 20 years before they get through the current requests.

It's probably best to prioritize features that will bring the rest of the community on board and secondarily features that will bring in new customers.

Sure, we can hope for anything, but that doesn't mean it will happen I suppose.
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    And to make NWSync less arcane.
    This x100.

@tfox Once again, I must apologize for my ignorance. I never knew that Assassin's Death Attack could originally be exploited in such a manner, as I have never played an assassin. Come to think of it, I don't recall ever playing an evil-aligned character for as long as I have owned both NWN Classic and NWN:EE.

Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • NWN_TömlNWN_Töml Member Posts: 90
    I have a question about the new render engine...

As we have heard that it will be completely overhauled or rewritten, what about the lighing and shadows to be specific. The old shadows were to my knowledge a vertex based one so how will shadows work ?
    And will shadows perfectly render alpha textures and not just the polygons ?

Thank you very much in advance!

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited March 2019
    March update has been posted
    LINK
    JuliusBorisov
  • Carlo_OneCarlo_One Member Posts: 77
    As with some of the major original Bioware patches, it looks like the answer for a target date is a "when it's done" one. While this can generate a good bit of angst (and definitely always did before with Bioware), in the end people tend to remember the new features, rather than the waiting period.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    What's wrong with a roadmap subject to change? We already paid for the damn thing.
    jpsweeney94
    edited March 2019
    All I have to say is, come March 29th of this year, I will be 42 years of age. Not that I ever expected it, but if by some divine miracle the folks @Beamdog were to fix the attack bonus miscalculation bug in the next stable Retail Branch of NWN:EE, that would be one hell of a birthday gift. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    I mean bgee and bg2ee Still have gamebreaking bugs in multiplayer but hey you can play it on phones and stuff now!
    RifleLeroy
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    It has been ages. I hope it comes soon.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    This project is really bothering me.
    The lack of weekly streams isn’t helping.
    They mention many times that nwn isn’t selling close to what they expected.
    Originally it was supposed to be weekly patches. Then bi-weekly.
    Monthly.
    Now it has been 6 months.

“They are converting to 64 bit before doing anything else”.
    A half a years manpower on this one patch that will have this one new feature.
    The trello boards aren’t moving.
    None of the posts from the convention last week mention nwn.

Their are many questions about iOS and Android features (easier way of installing modules and hax) that only get answers like “we are still looking at options”.

Or multi party fixes.

I absolutely hate being negative or disgruntled online. I find it very immature. But the lack of information and direction from Beamdog isn’t making it easy.
    sandronejm
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    1) 64-bit merge 2) new renderer 3) console adaptation (which affects all kinds of things for the other platforms/OSs as well).
    Once all those three things are done they are moving back to Trello cards and probably can get patches out at a quicker pace.

Prince_RaymondDerpCityjpsweeney94GM_ODA
    I'd say it's more an issue of poor prioritization. There are things which would have made it easier for players to adopt NWNEE over Diamond Edition, addressing specific concerns and limitations. In terms of visible player population, none of the previous updates had as big an impact as some people thought they would have. So fingers crossed that 64-bit + renderer + consoles + achievements is the game changer.

Depending on what follows, ceasing updates entirely after this one is stable might be the best solution. That way the client and server aren't changing and other projects that alter the client and server can port over safely, and they can implement and fix the things Beamdog isn't.
    I kind of wish they would have done the renderer before release and shipped the EE with a small module showcasing the new visual capabilities with new assets.

I hope there's a second chance to create that much needed BUZZ to get people like myself playing again and get new players to notice the game.
    StaranSavant1974
    No amount of cheerleading changes the facts unfortunately. It has been one and a half years since Beamdog started talking to the community and they haven't implemented all the community developed features people decided they needed.

Even after the renderer is finished there's nothing to indicate it wont be 5 years of regular updates before they catch up to the decade of community developed features for 1.69 plugins. Maybe they'll surprise everyone but I think managing expectations is more reasonable.

Of course they should have delayed their official release until they had something more substantial. At the very least delay release until they had their entire community on board, and perhaps the renderer finished, but I suppose they decided they knew better.

To generate buzz maybe they'll put it on 95% off next holiday season, rather than 70%.
    It would be really weird to rewrite the renderer and then NOT make anything new that looks amazing.

Still optimistic, just wish they would break the silence and share some good news.
    jpsweeney94GM_ODA