Skip to content

Minsc turns hostile

I picked him up when I met him, webt to Nashkel after strolling around Beregost an such, because Jaheira bugged me about it, cleared the mines, back to tell people about it, then Minsc complained, I set around into the right direction and before I had the chance to get there, right in the forest before the stronghold he suddenly turns hostile and kills Khalid and Rasaad!
I reloaded the autosave, dropped him, picked him back up, went into the right direction and he attacked again.
Any chance to save the situation without reloading somewhere ages ago?

And I'm playing on Android so I have no idea for cheating options to set it right.

And ideas please?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Have you tried just booking it as fast as you can across the maps until you reach the stronghold?
    Arvia
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Dump him and go save Dynaheir. With her in party, readd him.
    ThacoBellArvia
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Dump him
    Squeaky wheel gets the kick.
    ThacoBellArviaGatekeep3r
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Mental note: more savegames in the future

@ThacoBell
    Tried that. There is one stop between me an Gnoll Stronghold and he turns hostile as soon as I jump there

@Raduziel you sure that works?
    I saved and will try it. If it doesn't work, it's reload an do the mines again ?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Arvia 90% sure. But it is better than nothing.
    Arvia
    @Arvia Yeah, I don't think there is any way to make it there in time at this point. Minsc has one of the shortest timers in the game. I suggest @Raduziel 's uh, suggestion. You can rescue Dyanaheir without Minsc, so it should work.
    Funnily enough, you don't have to clear the Nashkel mines to make Jaheira stop complaining. Simply reaching Nashkel and talking to the mayor will stop her timer.
    sarevok57RaduzielArvia
    Worked. Thanjs.
    @ThacoBell I wish I'd known before. Jaheira is bossier than Minsc but I forgot how stupid he is. I only played BG1 once, in 2000, never liked it as much as BG2 which I played repeatedly. I've forgotten so many details.
    ThacoBell
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Dropping Minsc and getting Dynaheir first is a great idea

In Minsc’s defence, if my companion had just been abducted by monsters, someone promised to help me get them back and then marched me off if in the opposite direction I would be p*****
    ThacoBell
    @ilduderino I know, but talk about competing responsibilities... "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".
    Lots of people dying in the mines, rotting tools and weapons all across the land vs one abducted person... anyway I was used to NPCs complaining and storming off, not turning bat crazy and killing my companions.
    I don't think I like BG1 any more, anyway. Too used to BG2. I miss the banter and interactions.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Arvia , do you know about the NPC Project mod? It adds the banters and interactions you complain of missing, and it does a pretty good job expanding on the characters' backstories and personalities. A lot of people wouldn't play without it.
    ArviaZaghoulThacoBell
    @BelgarathMTH thank you (again). Strange how it never occurred to me to look for BG1 mods. Although it's a nuisance to install mods on Android, it might be worth it, because I don't seem to be very fond of vanilla BG1, but the tablet is much easier to carry and on-call duties without a nice game are long and boring ?
    BelgarathMTH
    @Arvia, If you like paladins, the NPC Project has a romance with Ajantis for a female character that you might enjoy. I played it once, and I thought it was very well done.
    Arvia
    @BelgarathMTH will do. And it's "since you like paladins" not "if". ?
    BelgarathMTH
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Off topic and self promotion:
    @BelgarathMTH thank you for the kind words about the Ajantis romance!
    @Arvia if you like the Ajantis romance, there is an Ajantis BGII mod that continues the story in BGII.
    Arvia
    @jastey thank you for the information but in BG2 I'm probably going to stick to Keldorn for the next few years. Although the Ajantis mod would probably avoid
    killing him by accident in the Windspear Hills?
    I will think about it. The "maybe next time" list is getting longer and longer... I'll be a grandmother by the time I manage to try all the interesting mods...
    Thank you and all the other modders for the great stuff you invent!
    ThacoBellBelgarathMTH
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    The Ajantis friendship mod is pretty darn good as well.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @Zaghoul Thank you very much for the kind words!
    @Arvia As Zaghoul pointed out, there is also the possibility to play Ajantis friendships both in BG1 (with the Ajantis BG1 Expansion mod, if you want to save your PC for Keldorn), and the Ajantis BGII has a friendship track, of course. And yes with the BGII mod,
    Ajantis won't be killed in the Windspear Hills.

Thank you very much everyone for the kind words and interest in the mods. Modding wouldn't be fun without people playing the mods and giving kind feedback.
    Sorry for the OT.
    Zaghoul
    @jastey thank YOU. The topic is flexible anyway, as you can see
    @BelgarathMTH I ask another bit of your infinite wisdom ? since you gave me the idea. I have only played BG1 with the standard party (Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir) before. That won't be possible if I pick up Ajantis. And I can't drop one of the above without losing another, I suppose ( I don't want to use the trick of removing a party member behind a locked door to avoid the dialogue).
    So, if I drop Minsc and lose Dynaheir as well, can I finish BG1 without a mage? Or is there another one? Evil characters are out of the question of course. I took Xan before I had to start a new game because of the Minsc issue (And install the mod), but you get him in the mines with 7 HP, so all I ever did was carry his dead body to the next temple...
    The game is doable without a mage. Ajantis and Xan are a fun combo though - especially if you throw in evil party members
    ThacoBell
    @Arvia The game is definitley doabel without a mage. However, you will have an extra slot due to dropping paired npcs. I heartily recommmend Xan to fill that role. He is the best mage specialization in the game and his disablers are very powerful.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Maybe use Imoen to dual. Or use Garrick. Nice rp to have a bard to sing your heroic deeds. Also use wands(super powerful if rebuy wands with 100 charge) and crossbow with him and its a fairly good tactic in bg1.
    Maybe use Ajantis, Yeslick, Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen almost only lawful good party
    edited April 2019
    I've never dualed anyone and I need Imoen's thief skills for the traps. I also don't take evil party members as a matter of principle. Neutral is okay if not chaotic neutral. But Xan is so FRAGILE!
    If it's possible to survive without a mage, I'm thinking about trying Rasaad because he's new, and as a monk his alignment fits well (I'm an Undead Hunter).
    But that would mean spending lots of gold just to identify stuff... hmmmpf, too many possibilities cripple my ability to decide...

Who's Yaslick?
    edited April 2019
    Yeslick is a dwarven fighter-cleric you'll meet later in the story, about the mid-point of the game. He's lawful good, and a great fit for a paladin player.

I often replace Jaheira and Khalid with Ajantis and Branwen when I want to take Ajantis. That leaves me to still have Minsc and the mighty magics (and Identify spells) of Dynaheir. Plus, the cleric spell list for BG1 levels is far more useful than the corresponding druid spell list.

Sometimes I replace Branwen with Yeslick as soon as I meet him, especially when I'm going for a "holy rollers" party of paladins and clerics.

(In BG2, there's a great "holy rollers" party of Anomen, Keldorn, and Mazzy. Valygar can also fit the theme with his hatred of "evil" magic.)
    Arvia
    edited April 2019
    @BelgarathMTH I always feel bad about dropping Jaheira, never managed to do it.
    I sense a new challenge ahead... stop doing the same things in the same way.
    Anyway, it wouldn't be as bad as dropping her in BG2.
    BelgarathMTH
    If fragility bothers you, don’t go near Raasad, monks are super weak in BG and only git gud late in BG2

Yeslick is an excellent addition if you can fit him in fairly late in the day
    BelgarathMTHArvia
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Monks are too weak in bg1 and hard to keep them alive.
    So only good and neutral but not chaotic neutral party options. Here is the pool:
    Lg: Ajantis, Yeslick, Dynaheir, Rasaad
    Ng: imoen, Khalid, Minsc
    Cg: Alora, Coran, Kivan
    Ln: Xan
    Tn: Branwen, Faldorn, Jaheira, Skie(because Eldoth she is not a real option)

Yeslick is a lawful good fighter/cleric, the last survivor of his clan in cloakwood mines. Absolut good tutor like dwarf character for a paladin.
    ArviaBelgarathMTH
    At least Rasaad has more than 7 HP. Or I would have to get used to the "cautious" script. Xan's apocalyptic worldview is funny. But if there is a cleric ahead to take with me, I'll probably replace Jaheira and Khalid. It's healthy to break old habits from time to time, and I know Jaheira will be around when I wake up in a certain dungeon...
    edited April 2019
    (In BG2, there's a great "holy rollers" party of Anomen, Keldorn, and Mazzy. Valygar can also fit the theme with his hatred of "evil" magic.)

Sounds good, but it would mean I'd have to play a mage. Or leave Valygar. Too many fighters. And I hate playing a mage. I don't like to hang around in back corners, invisible or something, and hurl wicked things at people.
    I have never used Mazzy. Will take her with me this time.

edited April 2019
    @Arvia , Aerie fits, and can cover your arcane magic needs until you get Imoen back. Yoshimo is true neutral and probably needed to cover your traps and locks until you get Imoen back, plus he's a main story character. Jan is chaotic neutral, and probably a no-go, especially since you have to help him lie to the authorities to get him.

So I'd probably go with myself as a paladin, Keldorn, Anomen, Mazzy, Aerie, and Yoshimo/Imoen.

Unfortunately, that leaves Jaheira and Minsc out, and like you, I have a hard time not remaining loyal to those two, since they've usually been with me from the beginning. Loyalty is a paladin value. :)

I've never actually run with Mazzy because of the Jaheira/Minsc problem, but I may try to fit her in some way next time. Maybe I'll be a cleric myself and drop Anomen so I can have Mazzy.
    Arvia