Skip to content

One on one fight w. Ashatiel

2»

Comments

• JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    I really HATE opponents that put themselves into Sanctuary when low on HP and then heal themselves up in safety...
    robertmarkbram
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    JLE wrote: »
    I really HATE opponents that put themselves into Sanctuary when low on HP and then heal themselves up in safety...

I also seem to recall that if you do the same, she will claim you violated the rules and call in her goons...
    robertmarkbramFenrirWolfganger
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

So do I - that's why I attack them anyway. Essentially any item use bypasses sanctuary, so things like potion of firebreath or wand of heavens will finish the opponent off quickly. I'm fond of the double strike from the ring of energy - damage adds up quite fast over time and the scorcher effect allows you to damage groups (and magic damage is resisted by fewer things than fire). Even a wand of magic missiles does a nice job of disrupting all the healing spells tried by a sanctuaried opponent :).
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehrrobertmarkbramFenrirWolfganger
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    @subtledoctor I could have sworn that I have cast spells through damage before, without using any kind of game editing. Are you sure there is no concentration checks in the base game? 1 or 2?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DregothofTyr That's a bug with the interaction between certain kinds of spells, animations, and the direction you face when casting/being hit.
  • piggy1753piggy1753 Member Posts: 9
    a Kensai with two katanas beats her easily.
    Prince_RaymondFenrirWolfganger
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437

How appropriate that I discovered this quote on @Ardanis's Activity Board: "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (C) Benjamin Franklin

Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.

robertmarkbram
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    By the way: Ashatiel isn't truly safe under Sanctuary. A Potion of Firebreath or any wand can go right through it.
    RaduzielrobertmarkbramFenrirWolfganger
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Playing warrior type of character, I never had much problem beating her on Core Rules. However, I tend to prefer barbarians and (revised) wizard slayers, so at that point in the game I have solid immunities against her spells. I do recall that I never managed to interrupt her Sanctuary casting.
    [Deleted User]robertmarkbramFenrirWolfganger
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited April 2019
    I just finished the game last night, and ran into that battle. My PC is a female conjurer, so pure magic user. The first time I did that battle she got plastered. Ran through every healing potion and every scroll and never got Ashatiel below "lightly scratched and mildly annoyed".

Then, after reloading, I remembered she had found an Amulet of Awesome Ankheg Summoning. Because it is an amulet, there was no casting time to worry with. In the few moments before Ashatiel starts the battle, she summoned a couple Ankhegs to act as shields while she could get her conjuring on. They bought the farm pretty fast, but it allowed for a second row of skeleton warriors, then another row of spider spawn. With that many summoned creatures, she could lazily shoot off magic missiles and flame arrows until the end.

That one item turned the fight into a piece of cake.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    If you managed to obtain it, I think the Statue of Stone Golem Summoning would work wonders for that fight too, since the (Lesser) Stone Golem, while not as strong as a true Stone Golem, nonetheless still shares many of the golem immunities and would be largely unhampered by Ashatiel's spells.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Zaxares wrote: »
    If you managed to obtain it, I think the Statue of Stone Golem Summoning would work wonders for that fight too, since the (Lesser) Stone Golem, while not as strong as a true Stone Golem, nonetheless still shares many of the golem immunities and would be largely unhampered by Ashatiel's spells.

Good point. It was in the bag of holding the whole time... Those might have lasted longer than the ankhegs, which went down distressingly fast, but the key is to get her off of your magic using PC just long enough to spin up. As soon as she had some breathing room, it was game over for Ashatiel. (Though I was concerned that her minor globe of invulnerability was going to outlast both the ankhegs and skeleton warriors - she was on the last one when it went out.)

At this point in the battle, your PC has probably burned through most of their higher level spells, leaving magic missile spam for last. (At least mine did...) Thus, I would note that you really need a fairly high-level summons for this trick. I'm not sure if the wands/scrolls are scaled in SoD, but even the ogres you get with Monster Summoning III wouldn't have cut it. Ashatiel hits hard.
    robertmarkbram
  • robertmarkbramrobertmarkbram Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2019
    I just completed this fight with my level 11 Dragon Disciple and it was one of the most exciting fights I have ever experienced, even though after reading the comments I realise it might have been easier than I thought. My character was already down to about 20 when the fight started - I was about to start healing when it started. For me the first challenge was to mirror image and heal up a bit before she got her first licks in. After that, I kept spamming Wand of Frost and Wand of Monster Summoning. The first time she cast Sanctuary my heart sank, but I just kept pointing that wand! I enjoyed this fight so much; there are few times when I get to see my main character shine this way.

I beat her the first time, but she didn't drop any items (too much damage in the last hit - that's a thing right?) and then immediately after that, Glint ran over a trap and died, so I reloaded. Then Ashatiel killed me with an early attack a couple of times and on the fourth time around I duplicated the first fight and this time she dropped her items.. I had Glint disarm the traps and he died on the last trap! Before I could curse properly, M'Khiin had already resurrected the poor bugger so I had him pick up all his stuff and continued on my merry way..
    Prince_RaymondGrond0ZaxaresFenrirWolfganger
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Can item use be interrupted? When I tried to summon ankegs, it just wouldn't go off. My shadow dancer ended up using a ring of scorcher to slowly whittle her down. I guess that item can't be interrupted.
  • KausticKaustic Member Posts: 1
    Omg I just got to this thread. Playing on switch with a monk at lv 9 (97 rolled). Just merked this lady easy. She couldn't heal fast enough.

What I was wondering is what's the best exp outcome for this situation?
    StummvonBordwehr
  • BrockBrock Member Posts: 10
    Don't know what you all have, she could hardly meet me, but I'm also very powerful because I play with EET