Skip to content

Unfinished Business?

baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Unfinished_Business_(Baldur%27s_Gate_II)

Was this cut content added into EE? It seems like they should of done this, It always struck me as unfair that Minsc never had any kind of personal quest.

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    New kits
    Either of two new Ranger kits can be restored to the game through this mod; the elite tactitian known as the Justifier, and the bestial Feralan.

This interests me...
    BlackravenAerakar
  • Igneous_AvesIgneous_Aves Member Posts: 41
    I just want a Minsc quest and then some more clarity on dialogue with some quests. Like the Neb on with the illithium ore and such.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    It is not added to the EE but I believe the UB-mod is available for BG2EE.
    Blackraven

It is not added to the EE but I believe the UB-mod is available for BG2EE.

Time to hit up the Suggestions Forum lol. Same goes for Unfinished Business for BG:EE :open_mouth:

Seems odd they didn't add this...tsk tsk!
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    It was asked way back, but it wasn't possible to get a sign-off for all components as some of the authors are MIA. Afraid we'll have to stick to modding for these.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    An argument could also be made that some of this stuff was left out for good reason. I think the mod with optional components is the best way to do it. Some of the UB I am not a fan of and glad it was left out.
    PaulaMigratelolien
    ThacoBell said:

I am not a fan of and glad it was left out.

Like what? I mean...from what I read it just added in some story clarification, missing portraits and quests.

It was asked way back, but it wasn't possible to get a sign-off for all components as some of the authors are MIA. Afraid we'll have to stick to modding for these.

That seems...odd, I mean didn't Beamdog buy the rights to this game and there wouldn't they have the ability to put in all content from the development of it?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    ThacoBell said:

An argument could also be made that some of this stuff was left out for good reason. I think the mod with optional components is the best way to do it. Some of the UB I am not a fan of and glad it was left out.

I fully agree. For most of it, there was a reason to leave it out of the original game. Beamdog did well to respect those decisions. UB is a bitl like scratching the barrel for the fans. some of it is interesting some not. So having this as optional stuff via mod is the best solution. Forcing it on you after all these years won't do. There is absolutely nothing wrong with adding a mod to your game, so why even discuss it?
    ThacoBellthar_thaazdhen
    @Igneous_Aves There are a few minor quests that with UB get super inlfated and require taking multiple steps and visiting multiple maps for minimal reward. Its basically padding.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    The UB I would like to see is linking the guarded compound to the Twisted Rune.
    Something coherent.
    Two really good fights, excellent rewards, interesting settings yet they go nowhere.

Also, Tazok and the sewer key.

I agree that some of UB is a bit all over the place but the Haer Dalis quest is worth doing. Only time, and the first time, I have ever set foot in the prison.
    ThacoBellAerakar
    ThacoBell said:

@Igneous_Aves There are a few minor quests that with UB get super inlfated and require taking multiple steps and visiting multiple maps for minimal reward. Its basically padding.

Well...I could simply just argue...don't do it. Lol Though I find it a damn crime Minsc got no personal quest....plus his reward, while useless in most cases is hilarious...summon a hoard of hamsters...Why would you not what that.

Forcing it on you after all these years won't do. There is absolutely nothing wrong with adding a mod to your game, so why even discuss it?

I tend to just stay away from mods on games(except DOOM lol) as I do want the (mostly) vanilla, as the developers intended, but cut content is a no no to me. I also fail to see how it is "forced" on players...when they could simply just not do the added quests and such. That is the whole point of mini-quests and RPG games. :/
    @Igneous_Aves Its not just added quests. Its altering existing quests. Imagine if to Illithium for the cleric stronghold quests, you had to clear the entire windspear hills questline just to be able to finish a quest that takes only about 5 minutes as it is now. Some things get cut for a reason.
    ThacoBell said:

@Igneous_Aves Its not just added quests. Its altering existing quests. Imagine if to Illithium for the cleric stronghold quests, you had to clear the entire windspear hills questline just to be able to finish a quest that takes only about 5 minutes as it is now. Some things get cut for a reason.

I could see that, though...I mean aren't you clearing out that dungeon anyways? There is some nice stuff in there. I guess personally I am a completionist and play the games to get EVERYTHING(or close to it lol), so a few more steps to get an item or two or more in-depth quest is good to me. I mean they added in several new kits and NPCS(who have their quests) why not toss in UB for good measure?
  • inkblowoutinkblowout Member Posts: 49
    I actually like that the mod isn't in the game now that I've played it once.

to me it feels like unfinished business is not even close to the quality of the vanilla quests and even the EE quests as well. The writing in the quests feel so off compared to the vanilla quests that I'd compare to fan fiction even. I understand how some would like it because it provides more and the cut content. But the execution wasn't good IMO.

Quality > Quantity

ThacoBell
    @Igneous_Aves I'm a completionist too, but I don't want my quests padded out. The game is big enough without having to devote 2+ hours of my free time to a quest that originally takes less than half an hour.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited December 2017
    ThacoBell said:

@Igneous_Aves Its altering existing quests. Imagine if to Illithium for the cleric stronghold quests, you had to clear the entire windspear hills questline just to be able to finish a quest that takes only about 5 minutes as it is now. Some things get cut for a reason.

Is that so? My memory is that the extended Gorje quest to get the Illithium leads you to the shadow temple. You find the guy in the upper region, i,e, you don't have to face the dragon or the shade lord for that. I'm not aware of any connection/requirement to Windspear.
    Furthermore, there was never a connection between the Sir Sarles quest and the cleric stronghold. Any layman can get that task for the temple.
    And last, the plot regardless of vanilla or extended is purely optional and can be solved in more than one way.

Anyway - the example is a good argument why this is an optional mod. If you look at the individual components carefully, you see that not all of it is pure restored/unused content, There are parts the were futher modded and fleshed out based on what some author felt to be unfinished.
    Bleriot

I actually like that the mod isn't in the game now that I've played it once.

to me it feels like unfinished business is not even close to the quality of the vanilla quests and even the EE quests as well. The writing in the quests feel so off compared to the vanilla quests that I'd compare to fan fiction even. I understand how some would like it because it provides more and the cut content. But the execution wasn't good IMO.

Quality > Quantity

They should of at least given Minsc his quest...cause...I mean, seriously what kind of BS move was that...
    ThacoBell said:

@Igneous_Aves I'm a completionist too, but I don't want my quests padded out. The game is big enough without having to devote 2+ hours of my free time to a quest that originally takes less than half an hour.

I could argue that getting that getting the illithium for all that time was acceptable, but then again I never give it to that pompous arrogant artist and I just hoard it for the Mace of Disruption lol
    UnderstandMouseMagic
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I can't remember much what exactly was part of the UB mod, but the only part of me which stood out as exceptionally bad was the Minsc quest. Horrible writing, that.
    thar_thaazdheninkblowout
  • moparmanmoparman Member Posts: 46
    It does more than just Minsc's side quest/ It also adds items that were taken out as well. For example it changes what happens in the spider lair in the sewers. I always install it. I would recommend downloading it and reading the ReadMe first.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    this is all about personal taste. i feel bg2 is more complete [ both minsic and Haer'Dalis now have side quest for example, and i really like the lamp quest after the tent.] with the ub mod. the only ub mod i think does not really need to be used is pst's.
    Aedan
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Ok, how about a bit of thread necromancy?

Does this mod work with the current release of BG2:EE (2.5.16.6)? =
    yes. the cat and mouse with bodi component seems to still not work so it's best not to install it even if it does not really effect anything.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Wait, the cat and mouse component doesn't work?

All this time I thought that I was outsmarting Bodhi. :/
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Wait, the cat and mouse component doesn't work?

All this time I thought that I was outsmarting Bodhi. :/

it seems bugged in the ee. she is supposed to show up when you rest but that never happens.