Skip to content

Finish all quests in just one playthrough?

So, I just finished playing through BGEE to warm up before taking on SoD. I just have one question though. In both BGEE and BG2EE it is possible to finish all the companion quests in a single playthrough. Is the same possible for SoD?
If not, which of the NPC are the most fun (both quest and story wise) and which ones can I skip?
In my BGEE playthrough I had pretty much the most OP gang of all; Kagain, Coran, Baeloth, Alora and Viconia with CHARNAME as an Inquisitor.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    In BG2, it is definitely possible to finish all companion quests. I've done it many times. As for SoD, I don't know, but I THINK so.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Yes, it is possible, although two of the companions (Neera and Glint) are a bit trickier to complete without doing a lot of party reshuffling (unless, of course, you bring those two with you all the time). Of the two, Neera is the most problematic since she has to be in the party for a majority of her companion quest steps to update properly.

Aside from those two, however, it's quite easy to complete most of the other companion quests:

- Baeloth, Viconia, Dorn, Rasaad and Voghlin have no companion quests.
    - Safana's companion quest is exceedingly difficult to miss if you have her in your party in Chapter 10
    - Corwin's companion quest just requires you to bring her along to a specific location in Chapter 10 (assuming you haven't made everybody in that area hostile through your actions)
    - Khalid's and Edwin's companion quests can be completed without even having them in your party. Just make sure to talk to them frequently at the camp. (For Edwin, you need to make sure you talk to him before finishing Chapter 9.)
    - Dynaheir/Minsc's companion quest barely counts as being a companion quest, in my opinion. The game makes it preeetty obvious that you need to bring these two for the quest in question.
    - M'Khiin's companion quest just requires you to bring her to a specific location in Chapter 10. (However, I personally would recommend keeping M'Khiin in your party 24/7. Not only is a Shaman a very useful class, there are also a LOT of encounters that M'Khiin has special dialogue for.)
  • egonegon Member Posts: 94
    @Zaxares Cool, thanks!

Are all companions available for the endgame? EG, if I drag around Glint and Neera for the most part, can I then just pick up Safana for her quest in chapter 10 or do I have to do something to make them available later on? Like recruiting in Baldur's Gate (the city that is) and then kicking them out of the party, or something?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I believe SoD was created so that you could get different feelings playing as a good and as an evil character. So no, you won't be able to see all the content during one playthrough.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    As far as I'm aware of, you should be able to just pick up Safana et al. for their companion quests as and when the opportunity arises. In my playthrough, for the majority of the game my party was Corwin, Safana, Viconia, M'Khiin and Dorn, with Dorn (and maybe Corwin or Safana) getting dropped whenever I needed to temporarily pick up somebody for quest reasons. As far as recruitment goes, after meeting them for the first time and asking them to join you, when you drop them from the party they will head back to "base camp" and wait around there for you to pick them up again.

I'm not sure if party members leaving due to reputation conflicts will also head to the camp, however. I don't think they leave permanently, but maybe somebody else can confirm that.

Julius is right in that the tone of SoD playing as a Good/Evil character feels VERY different though (especially during the final battle), even though the conclusion ultimately still winds up in the same place for the start of BG2.