Skip to content

Can someone explain Windows Updates to me?

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
Can someone explain Windows Updates to me? Like, for instance, why the hell does it take so damn long to finish?! I have a Windows 7 OS and I just installed 3 updates. It took about 15 minutes to complete the installation. Then of course I had to restart and it had to "configure" the updates. The configuring took even longer to complete. The screen showed a percentage of completion for this while it was configuring. It climbed up to 100% fairly quickly but then it stayed at "100% complete" for about 20 minutes before it decided it was done and it let me log in. What is the deal with this?

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    My explanation is: it's predictably annoying, but it usually happens when you are asleep. Most of the time you don't even notice it (assuming you don't actually ever power down your computer/laptop). The one thing you NEVER want to do is interrupt it when it is taking place, unless you want to do a factory reboot.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Well, I have it set so it only updates on my terms. It has to ask my permission to download and install updates. Much less annoying that way, but the thing can still be a pain by taking forever to finish.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Short answer: No.

Like you I've set it to download only with my permission - mostly because I'm on a "Basic" package which has a monthly download limit, and MS updates were using up most of it (it's a very low limit). What I found was that nearly all the updates were for programmes that I never use (basically all the smartphone stuff) so now I only let it update Defender.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    There is a solution: Linux. The only disadvantage is games may or may not work on release, but Proton (Steam Play) is really addressing this problem like never before.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Windows updates are like attacks of constipation (which may be accompanied by haemorrhoids). It neither seems to get done, nor let's you do anything in the meantime. Even worse when it messes with your Windows settings and you've to change it over again.
    Tresset said:

Can someone explain Windows Updates to me? Like, for instance, why the hell does it take so damn long to finish?! I have a Windows 7 OS and I just installed 3 updates. It took about 15 minutes to complete the installation. Then of course I had to restart and it had to "configure" the updates. The configuring took even longer to complete. The screen showed a percentage of completion for this while it was configuring. It climbed up to 100% fairly quickly but then it stayed at "100% complete" for about 20 minutes before it decided it was done and it let me log in. What is the deal with this?

You're still lucky it's Windows 7, as Windows 10 (which I use) is even worse in this regard. I once had an update going on for over 14 hours, and even then it was stuck on something like 96 or 97%. First, it doesn't download easily even on a decent connection, and then it takes a long, long time to install, and the reboot configuration, another reboot, and only then can you resume your work again. It's a terrible thing... when you've faced it, you would feel Steam client updates are much less annoying.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's really wonky for me. Last night I got a warning about an update and was allowed to postpone it, so I postponed it and then manually restarted the computer. It was ready by morning.

Other times, it's shut down the computer without warning and cost me my work, and the updates have taken over an hour at times. I take issue with the whole "nonconsensual restarts" thing, and while I realize that the updates are important for security reasons, it bothers me that they sometimes introduce bugs. On one occasion, I actually had to manually uninstall updates just to get my computer working again.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    This is one of the reasons I'm so glad I don't have to work with Windows anymore. My home install pisses me off so much when it's like, "You will install these updates now" when all I want to do is reboot into a real OS. At this point windows is just something I use to turn my computer into a toy, and I use Linux for everything but games that don't run on it or have issues.

I don't get why Windows update requires multiple reboots to install updates. I don't know about macs, but most Linux distros only ever requires a single reboot to update, even a major version upgrade. Even those major version updates are over in about 30 minutes, and you can even use the computer while it's updating. Only a handful of updates actually require a reboot, too. If you run the non long term support releases of Ubuntu, there's a big version update every 6 months, but the long term support releases only have to go through the big update every 2 years, even then, only if you want to upgrade. For the last 10 years, the major version upgrades have always gone off without a hitch on all my systems, too.

The length of time windows update take is just stupid too. I've got unlimited gigabit and a fast computer, so there's no reason it should require taking my computer down for 30 minutes to update.

Also have you guys been following along with all the issues they've had with the "October" update. It's still not out now in December. The first try deleted some users my docs folders.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Curious titbits: the name "Windows" derived from the fact that uncountable numbers of customers threw their PC out of their windows that, at some point, it became a stigma. One which Microsoft never managed to remove even to this day.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

Curious titbits: the name "Windows" derived from the fact that uncountable numbers of customers threw their PC out of their windows that, at some point, it became a stigma. One which Microsoft never managed to remove even to this day.

I think it's older than that, the WIMP interface goes back to 1980
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIMP_(computing)

I can't find an exact date on the term Window in that context, but I'd imagine it predates WIMP. Not many people had PCs that early, so I don't think it's derived from defenestration (I love getting to use that word), and just likely refers to a frame or viewing area for an application. The OS Windows getting it's name from the idea of windows/frames to run different apps. It was a big joke at the time MS WIndows came out that they'd throw the computer out the window, though.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Old Internet Joke: In a world without walls, who needs Gates and Windows?
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    edited December 2018
    This should explain everything:

(Please forgive me)
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2018
    Everything everyone takes for granted as far as modern OS convenience was implemented in even the earliest Macintosh computers YEARS before Windows ever even got in the game, much less caught up. I'd argue it wasn't until at least Windows 2000 (if not XP) that any Windows operating system came close to having the ease of use functionality that even the most basic black and white Macs had in the early-90s. It's hard to even explain how backwards using MS-DOS felt if your first computer back then was a Macintosh, and Windows 95 and 98 didn't even come close to matching it either.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Tresset said:

sounds normal. it was always like this. updates are a little smoother with windows 10 (more intrusive but smoother).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Lately my computer has been prompting me about updates, so I can postpone it and then manually restart the computer when I'm done using it. I don't know what changed, but it's better than having the computer decide on its own to restart.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    @Tresset Looks like quite soon, you won't be troubled with Windows 7 updates any more! Because...

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Rik_Kirtaniya Yeah, my dad told me that when I asked him about it. He works in IT at his job.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The key Word here is backup... always backup before an update. I have seem Windows, Linux and MacOS blow up after an update so always backup before applying any update to any OS.

Problems are less common when using Linux or Macs but they do happen.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    I keep it simple and only update Window Defender on Win7, unless there's something big in the news.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    windows 10 works great for me now, and updates are under control with group policy management
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I check the windows update reddit before updating, after the last time.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    mlnevese wrote: »
    The key Word here is backup... always backup before an update. I have seem Windows, Linux and MacOS blow up after an update so always backup before applying any update to any OS.

Problems are less common when using Linux or Macs but they do happen.

At least Linux doesn't force updates on you. And the backup process is more sophisticated, on Windows my current backup folder is 40+ GB WTF