Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Unable to log in to Persistent World servers

mojopixymojopixy Member Posts: 9
There's the issue; I try through the Join Internet Game list or by Direct Connect - either way the log in just hangs. No error message, nothing - even if I leave it several minutes.

I do have a CD key, but I'm using a new router. What should I check?

Comments

• mojopixymojopixy Member Posts: 9
    Login window is the usual:

Attempting to find server.
    Server found. Attempting to log in.

But it just hangs .. and hangs.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 17,694
    Does it differ with another server?

I've tried a few servers and the same thing happens each time. Once I managed to log in to Character Creation at one PW, Arelith. I made a character and clicked 'play' but the server responded with a window that said ''Delete Character'', and logged me out. Now every server can be found, but then log in just hangs.

• EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 66
    make sure your server list is blue, if its grey you do not have the same patch version the servers are running. on Arelith make sure you have all non arelith overrides moved to a backup folder or you might create an illegal char which the servers will not allow ( heads wings etc)

• EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 66
    also make sure your firewall is allowing access to nwn.exe

Ebonstar wrote: »
    make sure your server list is blue, if its grey you do not have the same patch version the servers are running. on Arelith make sure you have all non arelith overrides moved to a backup folder or you might create an illegal char which the servers will not allow ( heads wings etc)

Thanks - actually Arelith isn't my main aim, but in any case the same non-login problem happens on every PW. Which in the 'Join Internet Game' list, are all showing blue - so my version isn't the problem.
    Ebonstar wrote: »
    also make sure your firewall is allowing access to nwn.exe

I have heard about ''port forwarding'' and there is a way to configure that inside the router - but I don't know how to do it for this game.

This is the router's form for Port Forwarding - can anyone suggest what I should put in these fields?

wvdp0qd6b1qt.png

• SnottlingSnottling Member Posts: 50
    edited April 19
    Hey,

In rule name, type NWN:EE
    In select device, choose the IP of your computer
    In ports, type 5120 - 5300
    In protocol, type UDP

JuliusBorisov
    Snottling wrote: »
    Hey,

In rule name, type NWN:EE
    In select device, choose the IP of your computer
    In ports, type 5120 - 5300
    In protocol, type UDP

Thank you - now I've done that exactly and it's made no difference.

Logins to any PW still hang as before: ''attempting to find server. Server found. attempting to log in.'' then nothing.

I'm getting a bit cross now, after paying for this game only so as to play online!

Is that it then? How it's meant to work doesn't work, tough luck, never mind.

There's no reason I can see, why what's been suggested doesn't work - but it doesn't. So what, do I just ask for a refund? Anyone know how to do that?

• gregor_wyrmbanegregor_wyrmbane Member Posts: 4
    Hey mojo,

When you typed in the ip address for port forwarding, did you use your computers' ip address, or your routers' ip address? If you typed in the routers' ip address it won't work.

Gregor

mojopixy
    Hey mojo,

When you typed in the ip address for port forwarding, did you use your computers' ip address, or your routers' ip address? If you typed in the routers' ip address it won't work.

Gregor

Good point. The IP address in that field is of the computer itself.

I've just tried again, to log in to Thain (I know you know that one) using the IP numbers and the no-ip.org name, still can't.

It's extremely frustrating, because I'm not hearing from anyone at Beamdog either (though I'm sure they read these threads)

edited May 20

mojopixy wrote: »
    Hey mojo,

Gregor

Good point. The IP address in that field is of the computer itself.

I've just tried again, to log in to Thain (I know you know that one) using the IP numbers and the no-ip.org name, still can't.

It's extremely frustrating, because I'm not hearing from anyone at Beamdog either (though I'm sure they read these threads)

Here's a couple of other things you can try if you haven't already.

I'm assuming you're running a Windows OS. Make sure NWN:EE is included in your firewall's permitted programs. There's a place to check/set those. Or, just disable the firewall altogether for this test.

Once that's done, try to direct connect to a server that doesn't require haks.

If still no joy, then without changing the firewall settings you just made, try bypassing your router. Hook you computer straight up to the cable modem/surf board and try to connect again.

If you still get no joy, then the problem is likely with your specific game install, or your antivirus software if you are running any.

edited 2:28PM

Here's a couple of other things you can try if you haven't already.

I'm assuming you're running a Windows OS. Make sure NWN:EE is included in your firewall's permitted programs. There's a place to check/set those. Or, just disable the firewall altogether for this test.

Once that's done, try to direct connect to a server that doesn't require haks.

If still no joy, then without changing the firewall settings you just made, try bypassing your router. Hook you computer straight up to the cable modem/surf board and try to connect again.

If you still get no joy, then the problem is likely with your specific game install, or your antivirus software if you are running any.

Thanks, again.

I've checked every entry for NwN in the Firewall check, both private and public.

Now with one particular non-hak server, Direct Connect gives me:
    Direct connect and UDP hole punch failed.
    Requesting relay token.
    Relay access was denied.
    Relay said: Server is unknown to us.
    Connection to server has failed.

Connecting to any server via Join Internet Game gives the same problem as before:
    Server found, attempting to log in.
    Then nothing, it just hangs like before.

I could try hooking up a router cable, but firstly that's not a viable long-term solution and second, every other thing works fo me via wireless .. even NwN did last year. This is a problem specific to NwN:EE, and it's a new problem.

I have to be honest, I don't believe it's my installation because I played just fine for several months last year using this same computer and install.

I'm not running any antivirus software on this machine.

There's something up, but I am out of ideas as to what it is.

Some input from @Beamdog would be cool, and appropriate under the circumstances.

I wish I could help you. I have NWN:EE installed on two of my computers, one running Win7 and hooked to my router via cable, and the other running LInux Mint hooked to my router via wifi. Both installs run flawlessly, and I can play on persistent worlds with either one of them.

My problem is that even though I paid for both installs, they gave me the same cd key for both. So I can't play on any persistent worlds with my wife because both installs have the same cd key. I've requested a separate cd key, a month ago, and still have not heard from Redmine. It's very frustrating.

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 353
    Let me try and see about the CD key issue first. @gregor_wyrmbane, please address the following points (in private message if you so choose):

- What platform(s) did you buy this on? Beamdog? Steam? GOG? Make sure to be logged in to the respective account so the game services can provision with the associated, separate key.
    - Did you copy over your Documents/Neverwinter Nights directory to your seconday install? That directory contains your cdkey.ini, which will not be overwritten if it already exists.

@mojopixy - this sounds to me like the game cannot communicate with any kind of udp endpoint. Historically, this was usually antivirus or anti-scammer software running on windows, that hijacked all network communication and interjected itself to do filtering/rewriting. It makes sense that the server list can be retrieved (since that is over http/tcp and thus more standard).

- Note that you don't have to do any port forwarding at all for playing on other servers. Port forwarding is only needed for hosting games where both NAT punching and relays fail.
    - You said you are not using anything like that, but maybe there is some kind of proxy from your ISP?

JuliusBorisov