Skip to content

Unable to log in to Persistent World servers

mojopixymojopixy Member Posts: 14
There's the issue; I try through the Join Internet Game list or by Direct Connect - either way the log in just hangs. No error message, nothing - even if I leave it several minutes.

I do have a CD key, but I'm using a new router. What should I check?

Comments

• mojopixymojopixy Member Posts: 14
    Login window is the usual:

Attempting to find server.
    Server found. Attempting to log in.

But it just hangs .. and hangs.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Does it differ with another server?
    I've tried a few servers and the same thing happens each time. Once I managed to log in to Character Creation at one PW, Arelith. I made a character and clicked 'play' but the server responded with a window that said ''Delete Character'', and logged me out. Now every server can be found, but then log in just hangs.
  • EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 152
    make sure your server list is blue, if its grey you do not have the same patch version the servers are running. on Arelith make sure you have all non arelith overrides moved to a backup folder or you might create an illegal char which the servers will not allow ( heads wings etc)
  • EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 152
    also make sure your firewall is allowing access to nwn.exe
    Ebonstar wrote: »
    make sure your server list is blue, if its grey you do not have the same patch version the servers are running. on Arelith make sure you have all non arelith overrides moved to a backup folder or you might create an illegal char which the servers will not allow ( heads wings etc)

Thanks - actually Arelith isn't my main aim, but in any case the same non-login problem happens on every PW. Which in the 'Join Internet Game' list, are all showing blue - so my version isn't the problem.
    Ebonstar wrote: »
    also make sure your firewall is allowing access to nwn.exe

I have heard about ''port forwarding'' and there is a way to configure that inside the router - but I don't know how to do it for this game.

This is the router's form for Port Forwarding - can anyone suggest what I should put in these fields?

wvdp0qd6b1qt.png
  • SnottlingSnottling Member Posts: 85
    edited April 2019
    Hey,

In rule name, type NWN:EE
    In select device, choose the IP of your computer
    In ports, type 5120 - 5300
    In protocol, type UDP

JuliusBorisovricoyung
    Snottling wrote: »
    Hey,

In rule name, type NWN:EE
    In select device, choose the IP of your computer
    In ports, type 5120 - 5300
    In protocol, type UDP

Thank you - now I've done that exactly and it's made no difference.

Logins to any PW still hang as before: ''attempting to find server. Server found. attempting to log in.'' then nothing.

I'm getting a bit cross now, after paying for this game only so as to play online!
    Is that it then? How it's meant to work doesn't work, tough luck, never mind.

There's no reason I can see, why what's been suggested doesn't work - but it doesn't. So what, do I just ask for a refund? Anyone know how to do that?
    Well this is very poor.
  • gregor_wyrmbanegregor_wyrmbane Member Posts: 9
    Hey mojo,

When you typed in the ip address for port forwarding, did you use your computers' ip address, or your routers' ip address? If you typed in the routers' ip address it won't work.

Gregor
    mojopixy
    Hey mojo,

When you typed in the ip address for port forwarding, did you use your computers' ip address, or your routers' ip address? If you typed in the routers' ip address it won't work.

Gregor

Good point. The IP address in that field is of the computer itself.

I've just tried again, to log in to Thain (I know you know that one) using the IP numbers and the no-ip.org name, still can't.

It's extremely frustrating, because I'm not hearing from anyone at Beamdog either (though I'm sure they read these threads)
    edited May 2019

mojopixy wrote: »
    Hey mojo,

Gregor

Good point. The IP address in that field is of the computer itself.

I've just tried again, to log in to Thain (I know you know that one) using the IP numbers and the no-ip.org name, still can't.

It's extremely frustrating, because I'm not hearing from anyone at Beamdog either (though I'm sure they read these threads)

Here's a couple of other things you can try if you haven't already.

I'm assuming you're running a Windows OS. Make sure NWN:EE is included in your firewall's permitted programs. There's a place to check/set those. Or, just disable the firewall altogether for this test.

Once that's done, try to direct connect to a server that doesn't require haks.

If still no joy, then without changing the firewall settings you just made, try bypassing your router. Hook you computer straight up to the cable modem/surf board and try to connect again.

If you still get no joy, then the problem is likely with your specific game install, or your antivirus software if you are running any.
    edited May 2019

Here's a couple of other things you can try if you haven't already.

I'm assuming you're running a Windows OS. Make sure NWN:EE is included in your firewall's permitted programs. There's a place to check/set those. Or, just disable the firewall altogether for this test.

Once that's done, try to direct connect to a server that doesn't require haks.

If still no joy, then without changing the firewall settings you just made, try bypassing your router. Hook you computer straight up to the cable modem/surf board and try to connect again.

If you still get no joy, then the problem is likely with your specific game install, or your antivirus software if you are running any.

Thanks, again.

I've checked every entry for NwN in the Firewall check, both private and public.

Now with one particular non-hak server, Direct Connect gives me:
    Direct connect and UDP hole punch failed.
    Requesting relay token.
    Relay access was denied.
    Relay said: Server is unknown to us.
    Connection to server has failed.

Connecting to any server via Join Internet Game gives the same problem as before:
    Server found, attempting to log in.
    Then nothing, it just hangs like before.

I could try hooking up a router cable, but firstly that's not a viable long-term solution and second, every other thing works fo me via wireless .. even NwN did last year. This is a problem specific to NwN:EE, and it's a new problem.

I have to be honest, I don't believe it's my installation because I played just fine for several months last year using this same computer and install.

I'm not running any antivirus software on this machine.

There's something up, but I am out of ideas as to what it is.

Some input from @Beamdog would be cool, and appropriate under the circumstances.

I wish I could help you. I have NWN:EE installed on two of my computers, one running Win7 and hooked to my router via cable, and the other running LInux Mint hooked to my router via wifi. Both installs run flawlessly, and I can play on persistent worlds with either one of them.

My problem is that even though I paid for both installs, they gave me the same cd key for both. So I can't play on any persistent worlds with my wife because both installs have the same cd key. I've requested a separate cd key, a month ago, and still have not heard from Redmine. It's very frustrating.
    mojopixy
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Let me try and see about the CD key issue first. @gregor_wyrmbane, please address the following points (in private message if you so choose):

- What platform(s) did you buy this on? Beamdog? Steam? GOG? Make sure to be logged in to the respective account so the game services can provision with the associated, separate key.
    - Did you copy over your Documents/Neverwinter Nights directory to your seconday install? That directory contains your cdkey.ini, which will not be overwritten if it already exists.

@mojopixy - this sounds to me like the game cannot communicate with any kind of udp endpoint. Historically, this was usually antivirus or anti-scammer software running on windows, that hijacked all network communication and interjected itself to do filtering/rewriting. It makes sense that the server list can be retrieved (since that is over http/tcp and thus more standard).

- Note that you don't have to do any port forwarding at all for playing on other servers. Port forwarding is only needed for hosting games where both NAT punching and relays fail.
    - You said you are not using anything like that, but maybe there is some kind of proxy from your ISP?
    JuliusBorisov
    niv wrote: »
    Let me try and see about the CD key issue first. @gregor_wyrmbane, please address the following points (in private message if you so choose):

PM sent.
    edited May 2019
    niv wrote: »
    - Note that you don't have to do any port forwarding at all for playing on other servers. Port forwarding is only needed for hosting games where both NAT punching and relays fail.
    - You said you are not using anything like that, but maybe there is some kind of proxy from your ISP?

Thank you for this, but I have to admit I'm not sure what it means, or how to check for proxies, or what difference it could make. This problem began with my last ISP after the game had been playable for some time. At first I thought it was an update issue but it turned out not to be that, and if it is an issue with the ISP what should I ask them?

Also I should add that I started Port Forwarding as a possible solution to the problem, as mentioned above it hasn't made any difference anyway. Thankyou also for confirming I don't need it.

In general though, I am totally mystified about this, particularly since it didn't always happen, then it started and I don't know why because I don't recall changing anything. I thought at first a windows update but if I had that trouble I'd have expected everyone to have it and that hasn't happened.

So then I tried updating and waiting a few weeks, then Port Forwarding - no dice. And usually, no error message - just Server found, attempting to log in.. then nothing.

So basically, how can I make the game communicate with a UDP endpoint - as you put it - in simple terms?

• McSheallMcSheall Member Posts: 3
    mojopixy

I got this problem from 2 weeks ago to now on. I have 2 accounts. One in my computer and another in my android. I play in the same server since the beginning (about 10 years!). It was working so fine, until 2 weeks ago. My android account just stopped to connect to the server. It can connect com others, but not with the one I want. First, it got the “connecting” and hanging, without any other information. I erased the game and reinstall it and not I get this “Attempting to find server. Direct connect and UDP hole punch failed. Requesting relay token. Got token, attempting over relay. Connection to server has failed.”

There are some delicious details:

1. It works on my home internet (WiFi);
    2. It doesn’t work on my 4G connection. I get the error above, every time;
    3. If someone rotes 4G convection to me, (and then I connect using my WiFi to the smartphone), it works!
    4. My other accounts (iMac and Windows) keep working fine, connecting to this same server...
    5. The server was relocated 2 weeks ago, changing from one IP to another, and the port changed from the usual 5121 to something like 32453;
    6. Only my android account stopped working, I mean, to access the same module;
    7. I was logging normally for about 2 months without any problem;
    8. I erased the game when this issue started and reinstalled, but the change was from the “logging/hanging without information” to the bigger “connect hole punch relay token thing”.

If I find anything usual I will tell you.

Good luck for us.
    JuliusBorisovmojopixy
    An update (though what it means, I can't say...)

It's a Windown 8.1 issue. I now play NwN online successfully on a machine running Windows 7. Same router, same version downloaded via Steam. Same player.

I still don't know what the problem is, but yes - I now suspect Win 8.1. Anyone running successfully with Win 8.1? Let's compare notes!

• emptyanimaemptyanima Member Posts: 1
    I was having exactly the same issue you described - like another commenter, I was able to connect via one method but not another (in my case, I could connect via 4G but not WiFi).

Uninstalling AVG appears to have fixed this - I had made an exception for NWN but it may not have worked.
    Hope this is helpful to someone!
    JuliusBorisov
    Thank you but the system in question doesn't run AVG or any dedicated anti-virus.

Actually I stopped by to report I've just re-installed the game from Steam , and I'm still having the same problem. I go to log in to any online PW, I get
    mojopixy wrote: »
    Attempting to find server.
    Server found. Attempting to log in.

then it just hangs .. and hangs. No error message, no disconnection, just .. hanging. I can Cancel, but no matter how many times I reconnect, nothing. I left it for half an hour once, nothing happened.

Nothing has changed even with a fresh intall. The company aren't interested in helping. I'm just not bothering with the game any more, so well done Beamdog eh?
    I think I've made it clear that none of those solutions have helped. I've even said thanks. So thanks.

I'm surprised not to have inspired some curiosity though, like oh, here's a problem that has no obvious cause. What's that about then?

edited October 2019
    I'd add that 1. I don't know half the terminology being used (I want to play a game, not get a degree in computer networking) and 2. from those threads, it's clear the company are basically leaving tech support up to the community, so again, well done them.

it's normal for 2019 tbh.
  • GarenRunebladeGarenRuneblade Member Posts: 13
    I'm getting a problem similar to mojopixy, my normal servers I've been using since they switched to EE now say I have an unauthorized CD number on both Beamdog and Steam versions...and I get mojo's problem with several other servers...Server found....attempting to log on....then nothing. Nothing has changed with my system other than a couple of windows updates. I was able to log onto one of the servers 3 days ago, and now out of the blue this happens.
  • GarenRunebladeGarenRuneblade Member Posts: 13
    Just a follow-up after doing a Beamdog launcher verify I still had the same problems. So I did a validate of the Steam Version of the EE. It didn't say anything about any files missing and having to re-acquire them, nothing got downloaded but the problem went away. So no more Unauthorized CD number messages, and I was able to log onto two of the servers that hung up before. Validating Steam should have had nothing to do with the Beamdog build...they both use the same C;\Documents\NWN folder for cd.ini, nwn.ini nwplayer.ini and for local and server vaults. One other thing that probably has nothing to do with anything :
    Every time you launch NWN it updates the day\time stamp of the three . ini files listed earlier is it overwriting the files to do that? Still no clue as to why I couldn't log on before though.