Skip to content

How many hours do you have in the Infinity Engine?

I was recently looking at the Steam store's review page for all the Infinity Engine games, and I noticed that the average playtime is around 50 hours. I thought it would be fun to have a thread for users to compare their play times throughout the Infinity Engine games. I'll start out with my (somewhat embarrassing) times:

Baldur's Gate: 311 hours

Baldur's Gate II: 719 hours (Thanks to EET, I mostly play Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate II)

Icewind Dale: 179 hours

Planescape Torment: 44 hours

That's a grand total of 1,253 hours I've wasted away in the Infinity Engine over a period of six years (that's 2.3% of those six years!). To be fair, these games are my go to time killer.

I'm anxious to see if my times are indeed as crazy as I believe them to be :D
semiticgoddessThacoBellRavenslightJuliusBorisovZaghoulAdulgorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    mine is not very accurate as i had restarts and played some in off line mode. but my steam says both bg1 and 2 ee are around 70 hours. it should be more like bg1 is 80 and bg2 is 90.

iwd ee i'm not sure as thats gog but i'm preety sure thats about 20 hours.

BubbRavenslightJuliusBorisovAdul
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Malicron Oh well in that case, I don't use Steam whenever I can avoid it. So 0.
    Ravenslight
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited April 2018
    802 on BG1/SOD, 1261 on BG2, and an undetermined but probably much smaller amount of time on IWD. Also not counting a non-trivial amount of time on vanilla BG2, plus my much briefer dalliances with vanilla BG1.

...I don't have much going on in my life, do I.
    RavenslightBubblunarAdul
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Most of my hours are in BG1.

I have no idea how much I played before the enhanced editions, but I've got 739 hours on BGEE on steam.

28 hours in BG2EE. 5 hours in Icewind Dale EE. 3 minutes in Planescape Torment EE.
    RavenslightGrond0BubbAdul
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    On steam I have

BGEE + SoD 442
    BG2EE 428
    IWDEE 32
    PSTEE 406

But the reality is most of the testing I do probably is done through the Beamdog client. So those numbers don't really reflect playtime for me.
    Adul
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I have an obsessive personality when it comes to games, meaning that my playtimes tend to be on the extreme side. BG1 is my favorite game of all time, followed by BG2, and I've put a pretty daunting number of hours into each.

My Steam playtimes don't represent the total amount of time I've put into each game, but regardless, here they are:

BG:EE 2308 hours
    BGII:EE 909 hours
    IWD:EE 35 hours
    PST:EE 66 hours

For my grand total, one way I can try to get a rough estimate is to compare it with another game that I've also sunk a lot of time into that does count total playtime, namely Guild Wars. My Guild Wars playtime is at 9242 hours, and I'm certain that I've played a lot more Baldur's Gate throughout my life than I've played Guild Wars. So I'd estimate my total BG playtime to be well over 10k hours.

They say it takes around 10k hours to train a skill to the level of mastery. So I have to wonder if I'd be a virtuoso singer or ace pianist had I never played BG. Hmmm...

Well, it doesn't matter. I have no regrets either way. :tongue:
    BubblroumenThacoBell
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Measures of the time you've spent playing a game can be inaccurate if you often leave the game on to do something else for a while.
    BubbAdul
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 999
    @Adul: I'm about 20% of the way to mastery; what rank does that get me? :D

It's amazing how much some games can suck us in. My first computer games were the IE titles, and they basically came to define what I wanted in video games ever since.

Super-special bonus fact: For some reason the disassembler I use keeps track of how long you've had it open, working on a project. Apparently I have 1,500+ hours of just looking at Baldur's Gate's guts. That's equal to about 75% of the time I have spent actually playing the games :o
    Grond0gorgonzolaAdulZaghoul
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Does time modding the game counts?
    ZaghoulMantis37Adul
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    I may be way off here, I really don’t know anything about technology or game making, but Infinity Engine is the programming engine or game system that created games from BG to Diablo II. If I am not mistaken steam is kinda a newcomer to Infinity. I have original discs of BG, BG II and Diablo and I am pretty sure they run off of the Infinity Engine even though I have no idea what that means.

I don’t play on steam, I can say that I have played BG and BG II for thousands of hours more than I played Monster Hunter on my PSP and the lowest of three saves I have on that is just over 1,000 hours.

Yep, I have played a lot. No judging okay.
    gorgonzolaAdul
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    CAUTION:
    the time spent playing infinity engine games will not be refunded.
    which ever investment you have in it is irredeemably lost.
    you have to keep playing to keep having fun. :D
    Adul
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Let's just say that if time playing Infinity Engine games was not counted in my lifespan, I'd be practically immortal...
    AdulgorgonzolaThacoBell
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    BG1 : 1051
    BG 2: 579
    IWD: 283

although its been months since i have had serious play throughs at most i will play for an hour or two before i touch a game again for weeks
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    BG1: 885
    BG2: 920
    IWD: 180
    PS:T: 10