Skip to content

IWD: EE - Spells that ignore Magic Resistance

In my adventures through Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, I've come to notice that there are certain spells that seem to ignore Magic Resistance altogether, and I'm not talking about the usual suspects like Dispel Magic, Lower Resistance etc. I happened to notice that, even after buffing my tank to 100% MR so I could safely send her in and then bombard the area with AoE spells, she was STILL taking damage from certain spells. The culprits I could find are:

- Snilloc's Snowball Swarm
- Cone of Cold
- Lance of Disruption

Other typical AoE spells like Fireball and Sunfire are stopped by MR as normal, so I'm quite baffled as to why these particular spells seem to be ignoring it when their descriptions mention nothing about ignoring MR. I'm just curious to know if these are bugs, or if they are intended given how IWD:EE straddles a weird zone where it blends 2nd Ed and 3rd Ed rules (although the spells in question are all Evocation spells. Normally in 3.X rules, CONJURATION spells like Melf's Acid Arrow are the ones that ignore MR.)

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im going to say they are bugs

usually how it goes is that abjuration spells dont have MR so that you can buff your team with said spells without having the annoyance of MR blocking it

and then the odd transmutation spell like haste or stoneskin no doubt have a special value on them so they can break past MR as well

but as far as i know, basically any offensive spell should be able to be affected by MR unless its under a very special circumstance
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Snilloc's bypasses MR because the wrong effects are flagged to be resistable.
    The subspells (SPWI204B/C) are flagged as resistable, but it doesn't matter with how they are applied.
    All the op326 effects in SPWI204.spl need to be flagged as resistable.

The other two simply have none of their effects flagged as resistable, which does seem like a bug.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Another culprit I found was Flame Arrow; this one I discovered when I was playing Trials of the Luremaster and I entered that harpy cave in the basement with the Infernal Harpies. My boosted MR tank successfully resisted the various Aganazzar's Scorcher spells, but every single one of the Flame Arrows got through my 110 MR.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    kjeron wrote: »
    All the op326 effects in SPWI204.spl need to be flagged as resistable.

And, at the same time, all the effects in the subspells (SPWI204B/C) must be flagged as Natural/Nonmagical, otherwise there will be two checks for Magic Resistance. Am I right?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Luke93 wrote: »
    And, at the same time, all the effects in the subspells (SPWI204B/C) must be flagged as Natural/Nonmagical, otherwise there will be two checks for Magic Resistance. Am I right?
    Since the subspells are instantaneous (use projectile 1/none), the two checks should use the same results, but it wouldn't hurt to take the extra precaution.
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    Should be fixed by 2.6. Neither spell bypasses MR.