Skip to content

Chromebook custom portraits

Can anyone confirm if you can use custom portraits for your own character in SOD for Android. I just got a Chromebook & got the game but can't figure it out TIA

Comments

• TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Chromebook is not a supported IOS
  • shanevshanev Member Posts: 4
    for custom stuff? I can play the game just fine. I bought it off the android play store. I just can't figure out portraits.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @shanev, and welcome to the forum.

Yes you can use custom portraits on the Chromebook. The path you put them into is:
    'Android/data/com.beamdog.siegeofdragonspear/files/portraits'

If the portraits folder doesn't exist, you can just create it.

The naming convention applies where it needs to be:
    xxxxxxL.bmp or xxxxxxM.bmp

The best way I found to add portraits is:
    - only use 7 characters in the filename, the first 6 lowercase and the last a capital L or M
    - I also use both images regardless if I have two different images or a copied.

Hope that helps
    Gus
    Thanks! Does it matter if they are for male or female; do they just go in that same folder??
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @shanev, it doesn't matter although using this method, the pictures will show up in both male and female selections during character creation. If you want to separate the sexes, then you can have a look at this thread. Essential, you can create a file called M_myport.lua (or similiar) and add the code using 1 as Male and 2 as Female. This means however that you need to keep all of your images in the 'override' folder and if you are adding mods, this can get a bit messy to keep track of them. I have tried this using the portraits folder, but then you get duplicate images during character creation, I have also tried using a naming convention where I start all the filenames using the first two characters as reserved ie: gm = male, and gf = female, but then maintenance was another thing when reinstalling or remodding.

In the end, I just keep them all together in the portraits folder and select the image I want while scanning through them all.

If you aren't aware, you can mod the game for Chromebook if you have a PC. If you are interested, then let me know and I can point you in the right direction. If you don't have a PC, you can still get mods done up as modfiles (mods are pre-installed with the modfile containing just the changed files) and load them onto your device. This is done by a request in the modding forum, or you can follow on in this thread. Something you can think about when you have completed the game in vanilla.

All the best
    Gus
    Got it, thank you again for your help. It took me awhile to figure out how to move files from my SD card to my Chromebook storage. I've been using a PC since birth, and a Chromebook since last week, so still figuring it all out.

Appreciate the offer to mod; I do have a PC, and would be interested but like you said, will probably finish my initial play through.

Thanks again!!
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Have to say i'm impressed, Bc i was told all Beamdog Games were not Chomebook IOS Supported, nice Thanks for teaching me something new, @Gusinda and @shanev
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Yes, the games are not officially supported on Chomebook, but the evidence we're getting is that players can make it work.
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    I can confirm BG1EE, SoD and BG2EE work flawlessly on Chromebook and using custom portraits is as easy as on PC. Never got round to trying any mod though.