Skip to content

BG:EE crash on startup

thiefthief Member Posts: 45
This is my first install of BG:EE on this particular PC. I tried running the game couple of times, but I only get the message:

Can you suggest how can I fix this?

Comments

• lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    @thief maybe OpenAL is missing? You can get it from here.
  • thiefthief Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for suggestion, but it must be something else - I installed OpenAL from your link, but nothing has changed.
    I completed all steps mentioned there and still it crashes. I used Intel Driver & Support Assistant to update drivers and NET Framework, if it makes a difference.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited December 2018
    @thief another thing you can try is to enable the alternate renderer.

1. Go to "%UserProfile%\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition".
    2. If there is already a Baldur.lua file, rename it to make a backup.
    3. Create a new Baldur.lua file with this line:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')
    1. Rebooted
    2. Updated drivers (with Intel Driver & Support Assistant)
    3. Updated .NET Framework with the above
    4. Re-installed OpenAL
    5. Checked if I'm running 32-bit color (yes)

All for naught :(
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @thief, couple of quick Qs/actions.

I am guessing that you are running Windows 10. Would you be able to run DXDIAG from Cortona/Search, save the results and upload. Could you also upload your baldur.lua renamed to baldur.lua.txt.

Do you have other Beamdog games on you system and do they run well? Do you have a virus protection application of some sort running?

Thanks
    Gus
    Thanks for your help, guys! I've fixed it just now, basically retreading steps given in Borisov post:
    1. Uninstall everything
    2. Reboot
    3. Reinstall BG:EE, OpenAL
    4. 32-bit check
    5. Copying baldur.lua

So maybe I screwed up the reinstall/reboot order before. I'm glad it works now. Thank you all again, Happy New Year!
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    Okay, bumping this thread with no survivors.

I followed all the steps here and none of them helped. The only difference is that I added the line to the engine.lua file because there isn't a baldur.lua file in the game folder.

I made a bug report (but probably in the wrong place because i'm not familiar with that site) on the buggy-wug site. Here's the link if anyone wants to see the crash report: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/40492

Little help?
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2019
    Gee, I managed to get it to work. I reinstalled the game and altered the engine.lua and this time it loaded properly.

These last two posts were pretty pointless, all in all. Perhaps someone should cast Fireball and burn them to a darn crisp. Or not.