Skip to content

Divinity: Original Sin Minimal and No Reload Thread (spoilers)

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
Ever since IGN had declared in 2014 DOS felt like a modern BG, this series (now including 2 games, and 1 in development) has been mentioned as good tactical RPGs. So why not have a thread about playing these games with minimal or no reloads on our forum?

I'll try to open it with a story about 2 Source Hunters arriving to the city of Cyseal to investigate the murder of a local councillor: Lucius and Anni.

s12sx73huzjr.jpg
BelgarathMTHArvia

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Lucius is a knight who also has witchcraft skills and the Leech talent, allowing him to cure from blood. The Pet Pal talent (allowing him to speak to animals) seemed fitting.
    Anni is a wayfarer who specializes in missile weapons and geomancy, which allows her to summon a spider. She has high Perception, the Light Stepper talent (improving her Perception to find secrets and traps), and Lucky Charm.

The game also gives characters personal traits depending on their choices in dialogues and set events. This is how it works:
    549eny6yl1vc.jpg
    un7pru2n3g85.jpg
    f14i1xjgn9d8.jpg

The first fight. My knight used a fire grenade to ignite 3 skeletons and then healed Anni when she had low health.
    y4emiftez4z8.jpg
    q7td224z5oj8.jpg
    nnvxlf4564sm.jpg
    00qftbh3xp6m.jpg
    jeuzakz0rcj9.jpg
    e5cn1lqjfvei.jpg

Speaking to animals is very fun and it's also a source of quests and otherwise unlearnable details about events happening in the world.
    9xs8b0s1rsoz.jpg
    zcchf4timy0y.jpg
    br7dj0gecb7l.jpg
    5pmyfm4s3vvw.jpg

There can be different ways of handling enemies in this game. Anni used sneaking to get to a group of mummies and to burn them by putting a candle onto the oil surface the mummies stood upon.
    acb35lft9c34.jpg
    vlo6lxpmbc4d.jpg
    giqtg5290vu1.jpg

Lucky Charm improves chances of finding extra items when looting, which - in my personal opinion - adds greatly to the gameplay, and reminds me of the Diablo system of Magic Find.
    vapatyy46yqi.jpg

The game has a very deep system of crafting. The simplest craft involves creating a magical arrow:
    lisw8ljt4ajy.jpg

Surfaces such as water can be very important in battles. When you add electricity there, both your characters and enemies can be stunned, so it should be done very carefully.
    h3rb31u3c48r.jpg
    80ohuoi4eyip.jpg
    bkpin2998v71.jpg
    9afoc6g5ovx7.jpg
    svbkcrboqcj9.jpg
    ih6xto4fxihj.jpg
    9ilcuz67y8m6.jpg

And humor. This game is full of joking.
    9bnez60peicm.jpg
    dkg27njmnno6.jpg

So my 2 Source Hunters completed a tutorial dungeon, got their first personality traits, and learned that somebody took a magical stone (which seems to be important) from an old tomb.
    BelgarathMTHGusindaArvia
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @JuliusBorisov , I think it's really cool you're doing this. I've always wanted to get into Divinity:OS, and for some reason, I've never been able to. I've started a couple of times, and usually don't get very far before I start wanting to play something else.

I'll be really interested to see how it does for you, and to read about your impressions. You might be able to get me interested in trying it again. :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Thanks! I'm glad this thread is interesting for the folks here. I'll keep updating it then. And of course, I'd appreciate if other players join. :)
    edited April 2019
    Well, okay, I just tried playing this today. I made myself a paladin type, and my companion "Imoen" a ranged utility (bows, perception and locks, bartering) type.

I played through the tutorial dungeon, and it was reasonably fun. Then, I got to Cyseal, put out the fire on the ship, met some npc's, roleplayed dialogues, so far, so good.

Then, I met a man trying to steal a fish. I told him not to do it. Imoen disagreed. The game made us play "rock, paper, scissors." Imoen won, and told the man to steal the fish against my wishes. Then, the guard showed up and asked me if I'd seen the man steal the fish. Being a paladin, I couldn't lie and say I didn't witness the crime, so I told the truth. Then, Imoen said the man stole the fish, too. Then, the poor hungry man said, "Why would you encourage me to steal a fish and then turn me into the guard for punishment? You're horrible!" His wife also thought we were horrible. I don't know what Imoen was supposed to be thinking.

No, thank you. The way this game attempts to create roleplaying by having your companion disagree with you, and then making the outcome of the disagreement random, and then the rest of the dialogues don't make good sense, well, just no. Absolutely not.

This has reminded me why I've never played D:OS for very long. That encounter left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I don't think I'll be playing any more. Sorry. Grrr. That whole scenario also left me feeling angry at the game writers and devs.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    @BelgarathMTH Unless I am mistaken you choose for both characters your response to the fish thief. So you probably picked with character A to chastice the thief while choosing with character B to support the thieving. At least, that is what I have noticed in my last couple of plays.
    edited April 2019
    @BelgarathMTH No! You can leave that option on - and while you don't agree with it, I personally find it nice - simply because I believe party members can have their opinions. But! You can turn that option off.

If you dislike the disagreements between your characters, you can do one of three things:

1) don't assign them an AI personality during character creation

or

2) if you've already created characters and are in-game, then turn off the Dual Dialogues option in the Game Settings.

or

3) if you assign both characters the same AI personality, and keep Dual Dialogues on, then you just have to have the characters go along with one another in their conversations. This is what @Doubledimas suggested.

You can change the AI personality to Loyal to always agree, or leave it unset to choose both yourself. That can be done once you've found the third star / blood stone, and opened the portal in the homestead after the Hall of Heroes.

I'd be very sad if players are turned away from this game due to an option which can be turned off. Also, there's no such mechanic even as an option in the second game.
    GusindaArvia
    See, for example, - my characters don't have AI, so I pick answers for them, and both of them can agree not to help this thief.

nv7lqadod1za.jpg
    t8h37gmpxtd0.jpg

This way you won't have any problems with the law.

However, I RP having 2 different characters in this regard: while Lucius likes the order, Anni (being a "half-thief", as I imagine it) supported the theft.

Then they have to decide. Lucius has more in Charisma, being a party leader, so generally he will win. And the longer I play, the bigger this difference will be - more points per each roll.

26k31yj0qc4u.jpg
    280zklx6mrfi.jpg

In the end, everyone are happy: me as a player who prefers to act kindly, me as a player who likes to have 2 characters in the party with different mindsets, my characters getting different personal traits giving them extra powers.

rwbn9ugvsjwo.jpg

If you find it hard to RP 2 different characters, just change the AI personality of the second char to always agree.
    Arvia
    Imoen didn't just disagree with me by expressing a contrary opinion. Her AI completely overruled my decision about how to roleplay the encounter, and the world responded according to what she chose, not what I chose. I won't play like that. In a proper rpg, I would have immediately booted her from my party for what she did. Not an option here.

I might try turning the companion disagreement feature off as suggested and give it another chance at a later date, but not this weekend, as I just decided to buy Pathfinder:Kingmaker and give that a try.
    edited April 2019
    If she didn't have AI, or had AI set to Loyal, you wouldn't have that issue at all.

Another thing I like about this game is that items can provide your character with a skill - just like BG. So you don't always buy items for their +1 to this or that stat, but for the skill they provide. I was lucky, I guess, to buy this ring when I first talked to Archu:

icg5acxznns9.jpg

I also like how brutal battles can be (I play on Tactician). If my main couldn't cure from standing on the blood surface, we'd have problems. And unlike PoE, here everything depends on the player's actions. If I wouldn't have used a special arrow to knockdown a melee fighter, I would have problems. If I wouldn't be cautious when the enemy used the swap-teleport and boom the oil, I would have problems.
    87agsco7ram1.jpg
    d381l46xxc0z.jpg
    8mcqebcfixaz.jpg
    9rx3s97jdilx.jpg
    mn07y3rdd5ye.jpg
    3tqdfe6o0xjx.jpg
    uyriyvsno2jo.jpg
    onlaegi9pq02.jpg
    430253lozylo.jpg
    5ugcqkt6pnyy.jpg

On a side note, playing no-reload, I can't replay those arguments and have to go with the result I get. I know I can switch off dual dialogues, but I actually like this element of randomness, which will be decreasing with the increase of Charisma of the main character. In this case, Love, or Romantic line, won the argument over the fate of the soldier loving the orc. And this is also cool because I didn't see where this would lead to when I first played the game.
    rqcf2y3kmigh.jpg
    erzcepto2juu.jpg
    stvaslcdrgz8.jpg
    BelgarathMTHGusindaArvia
    edited April 2019
    So I spent about 10 hours completing quests in Cyseal not involving major fights. These hours are among most interesting hours for me in RPGs. The amount of content, riddles, and approaches you can take towards solving this or that issue is very rich.

First of all, traps. They can be as lethal as in BG, and one incautious step, and it'll be a gameover.
    z7ots19hpeda.jpg

Investigating the councillor's death, the party ended up in a very strange place. This is probably the biggest switch from one world to another since getting into the Fade in DAO.
    lfpttq2odyah.jpg
    xv4413lhel7m.jpg
    bbrnnxb6qy1k.jpg

The investigation itself is a very long and interesting process involving gravedigging, talking to animals, and suspecting many characters.

Where the game really shines is the quest with a Talking Head. Here I had to play on the scene, learn the lines (which reminded me of BG2 bard stronghold), and sneak away this talking head. It turned out now I need to find a body.
    dduj4gc4c6dj.jpg
    knl39mxplpap.jpg
    4abpmd72iugh.jpg
    ve8gook0oifa.jpg
    red384fxmr1a.jpg
    74y50p3bfupx.jpg

The contrast between normal quests and locations and that strange place you get access to is striking.
    dilm7kt7apwj.jpg
    t2bm4e627n7p.jpg

The first battle I got outside the town could go both ways. Normal undead, poisonous zombies, and 2 electric zombies which entered the fight after it had started looked dangerous: every time my character approached these electric zombies in melee he became stunned.
    02dgvgen3129.jpg
    pd20hatjhw87.jpg
    kx04wfgjgwco.jpg
    h51yybom7b8x.jpg

My party now includes a mute backstabbing thief and a mage specializing in Hydrosophist and Aerotheurge.

gg92givf4hcc.jpg

Current lvl: 4
    Reloads: 0
    Party deaths: 0
    Difficulty: Tactician

Lucius: Man-at-Arms (1), Witchcraft (1), Charisma (2), Leadership (1), Crafting (2)
    Anni: Marksman (2), Geomancer (1), Lucky Charm (2), Loremaster (1), Lockpicking (1)
    Jahan: Aerotheurge (2), Hydrosophist (2), Blacksmithing (1)
    Wolgraff: Scoundrel (2), Pyrokinetic (1), Pickpocketing (1), Sneaking (1)
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    BelgarathMTHGusindaArvia
    edited April 2019
    I have to say: the best word to describe my feelings towards DOS is "rewarding". I find absolutely everything in this game rewarding, and it's actually very important.

In PoE, when you got a new level, it was - "oh, cool, now my char got a new level, he now can use new spells... yeah, but the fights can still be won by good ol' paralyse from the 2nd lvl". In this game, every new spell you buy and learn, it makes a great difference. Every new item with just +1 to DEX/INT, makes a great difference because it improves the chances your spell will work.

And the fact fights are turn-based is also rewarding. If you do something, it gets an impact. If you see a big danger, you can react. And if you won't - you will fail. But if you do - you will win, and that will feel very rewarding.

The fight against the first real boss, the Ghoul that Guards the Lighthouse, is a good example. You come to the fight, and see for the first time a creature that seems immune to everything:
    gc55uq2yhat9.jpg

Once you start observing the battlefield, you'll see that far away from you a certain sphere is located giving that immunity to the boss. You have to defeat all the minions while surviving all the attacks and then somehow reach the sphere and destroy it.

You come to the fight, and see for the first time a creature raising each turn wolves you have just killed.
    wi8jfmgpl2fo.jpg
    0t6z7v58rf7y.jpg

When I defeated those wolves, the ghoul attacked Lucius, and boy it hit hard.
    zwxderyrs3e7.jpg

And here is when I could react, when I could do something, not just accept my fate and reload because I approached the fight wrongly.

I used (by Anni) recently learned Fortify spell (which decreases the damage an enemy inflicts) on Lucius and potions of healing (by Lucius himself). I slowed the ghoul - a rare spell that could work against it.

I also teleported Wolgraff behind the enemy archer so that he could distract the archer. And then that archer switched weapons to melee and started to really threat Wolgraff. Then I moved Jahan forward a bit and used a scroll of Regeneration (because of his spell Regeneration still didn't come back from a cooldown period) on Wolgraff. I also used a (rare) knockout arrow by Anni on that archer to save Wolgraff one turn. And - again rewarding - a talent I picked for Anni worked - she managed to recover the precious arrow.
    kuzj7uehyp61.jpg

This all helped to keep Lucius alive while meleeing the ghoul, and Wolgraff reached the sphere. 2 turns later, it was destroyed, and the boss stopped being immune to my spells. Jahan froze him, and that was it.
    tpfubrr6kbs1.jpg
    mh47cc2qqpfh.jpg
    de6ce4m803ed.jpg
    pgnsp8wbnk0e.jpg
    qogyvc9opzim.jpg

How rewarding it felt! It felt as if exactly my choices, me keeping to buy protective spells and learning it (Fortify) helped a lot.

And the game actually rewarded again: after the fight, you get your first unique melee weapon, which - again, unlike in PoE were items feel general and mundane, - reminded the feeling when you loot your unique items in BG or M&M.
    eggaa89ngz4u.jpg

These enemies are no pushovers and in one of the previous encounters Wolgraff was killed, which also contributed to me being protective.
    yv8a93x9f571.jpg

So, in a way, I as a player could use my experience from a lesser fight in a boss fight, and could react to the events of this fight not needing to reload.

Current lvl: 5
    Party deaths: 1 (Wolgraff, undead archer)

Lucius: Man-at-Arms (1), Witchcraft (2), Charisma (2), Leadership (1), Crafting (2)
    Anni: Marksman (2), Geomancer (2), Lucky Charm (2), Loremaster (1), Lockpicking (1)
    Jahan: Aerotheurge (2), Hydrosophist (2), Blacksmithing (1)
    Wolgraff: Scoundrel (2), Pyrokinetic (1), Pickpocketing (1), Sneaking (1)
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    @JuliusBorisov , How does unconsciousness/death work in D:OS? I'm continuing to follow this thread with interest. I'm glad you're having such a fun, rewarding time.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited April 2019
    The game ends if all the characters are dead.

Edit: actually, I've googled, and the game will end if both Source Hunters are dead. So it can be 1 Source Hunter + 2 other characters (not to lose). The main thing is not to lose both Source Hunters. Which is, speaking frankly, quite a task, and reminds BG - no main character, no continuation.

Once a character is dead, whether in the battle or not, you have to use a scroll of resurrection to resurrect them. A dead ally will be up to 20% of its health at a location you choose within 10 meters from the character using the scroll. If the revived character has the Morning Person Talent, they will be resurrected at full health. Resurrecting (using the scroll) in battle takes your action points, of course.

Dying in D:OS is VERY easy. Especially if you're not careful with traps, or if the enemy uses several elemental attacks in the form of grenades and arrows. It's especially dangerous if the battle ends, and your characters are under effects of burning/poison. You have to act quickly and in the same cautiously, using your regeneration/healing spells ASAP.
    spmwfqvzq76b.jpg
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    edited April 2019
    So, I've been having a blast. Satisfying is the word I would describe D:OS as today.

I can't stop admiring how the game doesn't throw bosses out of nowhere on you, how it gives at least one minor encounter before a difficult fight so that you could prepare and evaluate if you can do it. I tried to explore the orc beach a bit, and stumbled across a group of orcs having lvl 6, higher than my group. And lvl 6 is actually a breakthrough - you start being able to use Adept spells and skills in addition to Novice ones.

This group was ok to my party. I tried a new skill, Winged Feet, on Wolgraff - it lets the character travel through all sorts of surfaces without any repercussions.
    7cepgew20j5x.jpg
    6fbz7qdh8liq.jpg

After that, I saw a bigger group of orcs with a huge leader, who was lvl 7. I definitely had to step away and go elsewhere to at least get to lvl 6 granting new skills.
    0d6bz8x6q0ui.jpg

I explored a small forest next to the town, fought in a few minor encounters, and was able to reach the lvl 6, and buy new spellbooks. First of all, I took 2 skills which blind enemies (for Jahan and Wolgraff). I also took Charm for Lucius.

Immediately I put Blindness to use against the big boss. It's a rolling stone of blindness. I could cure Blindness on Anni by another Pyrokinetic spell from Wolgraff.
    w52rc4r75ccy.jpg
    hcbfyil107g7.jpg
    t2tdom3j2nxg.jpg

The main thing was that the boss became inactive for 2 turns. While we slowly made our way into the fight, huge attacks by enemy archers killed Lucius. He first was poisoned, then knocked out, then burned and in the end - dead. At this moment of time, with blindness on the boss no longer working, I was scared.
    meqmu7dd61c8.jpg

And the game made me able to react. A Steam Cloud arrow made the enemy mage blind, and also provided a nice AoE to disable enemy shooting. An Explosive arrow inflicted AoE damage. Wolgraff finally killed one ogre that came close to us.
    049ffirokreb.jpg
    7eohva02cy1y.jpg

Because the boss carried a missile weapon, he too had to spend action points to find a place where the Steam Cloud didn't block his way (in the meantime, Jahan used a few scrolls to distract enemies - he used our only scroll of summoning a spider). It saved us time and let Jahan finally succeed at stunning the boss.
    qpoiyjqe36gi.jpg

Smokescreen from Wolgraff again helped - it worked against one of the 2 archers.
    o31kq8b0a64x.jpg

Anni used that one precious arrow of knockout we saved during fighting the Ghoul against another orc who came close.
    9some7p4obfx.jpg

Jahan used his fresh Headvice spell on the giant orc, blinding and severely damaging him.
    ef0cb20n20zu.jpg

But enemy archers were still a threat, and Wolgraff turned into a pin cushion.
    b15h8eogbmc4.jpg

Finally our spider finished the big boss. Grulbarg the Fearsome fell.
    29xz37m7klkf.jpg

Ending the fight wasn't difficult.
    szzkcwcwukyw.jpg

Just as in BG, dead companions don't get XP, so there're big downsides to losing them during battles. But this one was so difficult that we simply didn't have time to use resurrection scrolls. The battle offered a nice reward - a very expensive skillbook for Anni which would increase the chances of getting extra loot.
    i8h92dkub8rk.jpg

Current lvl: 6
    Party deaths: 4 (Wolgraff, 3: undead archer, Mysterious Opponent, Young Orc Ranger; Lucius, 1: Grulbarg the Fearsome)

Lucius: Man-at-Arms (2), Witchcraft (2), Charisma (2), Leadership (1), Crafting (2)
    Anni: Marksman (2), Geomancer (2), Lucky Charm (2), Loremaster (1), Lockpicking (1)
    Jahan: Aerotheurge (3), Hydrosophist (2), Blacksmithing (1)
    Wolgraff: Scoundrel (2), Pyrokinetic (2), Pickpocketing (1), Sneaking (1)
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    The game is getting brutal with each fight, and no fight is unlike the other. What I mean here is that you get interesting surprises during the battles - the game makes you think really careful in these situations.

I proceeded into the cave, and saw how orcs fought skeletons. Here were my immediate thoughts: let's join the fight and get XP as enemies are killing each other. It was working well at first:
    ti34i3kl5jgw.jpg
    2l147w2v0gal.jpg

But then a surprise happened. My group was surrounded by enemies: 2 mages and 2 melee fighters. They went out of the small room to the left. Of course, this made everything difficult. Anni had to stun everyone around her (and herself) just to prevent enemy turns. Still, Jahan soon fell, and Anni followed.
    0dyyfer4lir1.jpg
    0o7yh7c0l0tv.jpg
    u6is6ucwpt9r.jpg
    aekfm9p9vgbp.jpg

So, I got an awkward situation: Lucius and Wolgraff left against 5 enemies. A frost grenade helped! It created a huge surface of ice which enemies had to avoid (thus spending turns). Then Lucius used Charm on an enemy archer. This archer attacked one of the mages, which helped greatly.
    8a7f6qh9g4ra.jpg
    p3812uf0hdtd.jpg
    jb517y03btrv.jpg

One of the best aspects of the game is crafting. I'd call it a game inside the game, as I don't google recipes and try to find the needed combinations myself. Thanks to crafting the boots on my characters let them step on ice without suffering the risk of knockdowns. The battle was won.
    29x47e1r552a.jpg
    1nhqg3p4ipa0.jpg

The next enemy was also an interesting fight. Not only my party members (at the start of the fight) were close to dangerous totems ticking explosions every 30 seconds of real time (not dependent on battle turns), this creature had tremendous initiative, so he killed Anni by his insane opening attack.
    lz34oz1p24dp.jpg
    id6gt96ah6e6.jpg
    ma3j7kx6h6ew.jpg

The creature looked like as if it couldn't be stunned/frozen (and I lost Anni who can examine enemies), so I had to rely on Knockdown attacks. It worked. The creature had so many HPs that I was not sure I'd hold it. I resurrected Anni during the battle to add to overall damage.
    0m3fg4b6wk1l.jpg
    qdnkcler77ul.jpg
    srfvtaeq8efc.jpg

But the cave was not only about fights. I spent about 1 hour carefully taking care of all the traps on my way. The reward was so sweet! I managed to find Headless Nick, and now I have a skill to summon Nick during fights!
    50gb1mcah64h.jpg
    msdrkta47q6w.jpg
    80osgq6vavmg.jpg

Apparently, my next enemy is Pontius Pirate, a very powerful Sourcerer.

Current lvl: 6
    Party deaths: 7 (Wolgraff, 3: undead archer, Mysterious Opponent, Young Orc Ranger; Lucius, 1: Grulbarg the Fearsome; Jahan, 1: Pirate Bowman, Anni, 2: Pirate Bowman, Source Abomination).

Lucius: Man-at-Arms (2), Witchcraft (2), Charisma (2), Leadership (1), Crafting (2)
    Jahan: Aerotheurge (3), Hydrosophist (2), Blacksmithing (1)
    Wolgraff: Scoundrel (2), Pyrokinetic (2), Pickpocketing (1), Sneaking (1)
    BelgarathMTHArvia
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Great stuff Julius! Wait you have the chance to play DoS2. It's twice as good in almost any aspect than DoS.
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
    edited April 2019
    I guess, at this point, it's clear that deaths just happen, and it's common to use resurrection. I'd concentrate on not getting both source hunters (or the whole group) wiped, as it seems hard to keep all the characters alive in battles, considering how smart the AI chooses targets for its attacks.

The next fight in the cave instantly reminded about the Mimic chest from BG2.
    r2tbn3np113c.jpg

A Lesser Source Abomination and hard-shelled crabs turned to be dangerous opponents.
    zn2tucz2fz0b.jpg
    dbwntsd0b3zn.jpg

Special arrows helped again.
    09fa94sxnnk4.jpg
    vj1zt1fl2dt1.jpg
    2xazr2drlga8.jpg

When I mention traps in this game can be very dangerous, I mean this:
    ya6dbsabeqb5.jpg

That said, the party found Pontius Pirate. Listening to the advice Nick had provided, I tried to sneak past Pontius with Wolgraff. I managed to nearly reach the ship with the weapon we could use to our advantage.
    kbr4yot7tr12.jpg

While I couldn't use the weapon fully, this decision (to separate Wolgraff from the rest of the party) was useful, as 1) he wasn't harmed by mass damage other party members suffered; 2) enemies were distracted and spent precious charm on Wolgraff while he was away.

Nick soaked up damage (it was so massive that he didn't last more than one round). We found ourselves in poison, and used antidotes. It didn't stop Anni from bringing Steam Clouds and then Static Clouds to the battlefield (thanks to her arrows).

As for the boss himself, Pontius was first blinded by Jahan and then frozen by a grenade from Lucius (it took him actually 2 grenades to succeed).
    oez2y4r2ccab.jpg
    qn96f7lwisvq.jpg
    7bbd8b33ovh5.jpg
    7xcaux9sffu7.jpg
    4t9oqpao019r.jpg

I couldn't CC enemy archers and mages forever, so one of them ignited poison around us. It wasn't that bad, though. I tried all my sources to keep Pontius out of the battle.
    dfmda0wfqzd5.jpg
    8y9zznr8u7pd.jpg
    mmv7jsi2h51x.jpg

It was very rewarding to end the battle without any losses.
    ygwligzuisdm.jpg
    0hxc99jv8dxy.jpg

What I learned from this fight is that it's always a good choice to use your summons ASAP so that they could soak up enemy attacks. I used this experience in the next battle, against a giant Source Nightmare spider. Summoning my own spider and Nick was what I've done with Anni and Lucius during the first turn.
    zv5bssu2w70d.jpg
    9ik0ntewplf0.jpg
    sol5nl58m21o.jpg

Anni used the new skill - Magical Poison Dart - on the Nightmare. It was fun to be able to poison enemies for a change (undead can't be poisoned, it actually cures them). While Nick kept the Nightmare busy, we dealt with all the spiderlings, and were able to CC the Nightmare.
    uojvaqa55is4.jpg
    qlpdt76o9ypn.jpg
    lh1a0rvp7hsw.jpg

Another interesting aspect of this game is that you can affect merchants' disposition towards you and thus their prices. This is the fish merchant I've helped at the start, with 100 (max) disposition towards Lucius: as you can see, she stopped being a fish merchant long ago, and I use her to sell what I don't need, so that I could spend money she's giving me to purchase items from other merchants.
    wde9wr0zj1qs.jpg

Current lvl: 7
    Party deaths: 9 (Wolgraff, 4: undead archer, Mysterious Opponent, Young Orc Ranger, Hard-shelled Crab; Lucius, 2: Grulbarg the Fearsome, Hard-shelled Crab; Jahan, 1: Pirate Bowman, Anni, 2: Pirate Bowman, Source Abomination).

Anni: Marksman (2), Geomancer (3), Lucky Charm (2), Loremaster (1), Lockpicking (1)
    Jahan: Aerotheurge (3), Hydrosophist (3), Blacksmithing (1)
    Wolgraff: Scoundrel (3), Pyrokinetic (2), Pickpocketing (1), Sneaking (1)
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    @JuliusBorisov , Wow, congratulations on getting this far with no reloads. The combats look really hard on the difficulty setting you're using.

That spider looks really scary. :)
    JuliusBorisov
    edited April 2019
    My first really close call. It happened during the boss fight against the Baron of Bones and Lady Annah. At first, it started fine. We blinded Annah (a rogue) and charmed a cryomancer (I also found out that when you charm an enemy summoner, their summoned creature becomes charmed as well - very handy, considering this mage summoned an ice elemental, something that can be done by a lvl 9 mage).
    f1go8sxtjhbh.jpg
    hpbs0pkm6f7j.jpg
    k7bfxp9t6rvt.jpg

The Baron had a skill to destroy summoned creatures. Also, enemies were many, and CCing all of them ate our spells.
    n3z1ou6kslov.jpg
    3k5wtrskyafr.jpg
    gva6snx9xn3a.jpg

There was a "court minstrel" among enemies. This creature kept removing my CC spells on other enemies. I had to knock it down, but enemy archers became active.
    vghvo49k7ukq.jpg

During one turn it looked ok, and during the next turn, both Anni and Lucius became nearly dead.
    0ljn9sr2h9a5.jpg
    8nwe0rcpdj27.jpg

Understanding I can't save both of them, I decided to concentrate on Lucius in terms of healing spells and items, while Anni kept firing her special arrows.
    rebzln3yzm9e.jpg

The Baron finished Anni off, but Lucius was saved.
    j7vfp0mgfu73.jpg
    2oysyfravzze.jpg
    9vtoi9cxcvln.jpg

Not long after that, the battle was won.
    icanpc0rjn80.jpg
    2sgmdijbdlhc.jpg
    gmji5puv2qwi.jpg

What lesson have I learned from this fight? There cannot be enough hit points, so I'll try to increase Consitution, at least on Lucius.

Current lvl: 7
    Party deaths: 10 (Wolgraff, 4: Undead Archer, Mysterious Opponent, Young Orc Ranger, Hard-shelled Crab; Lucius, 2: Grulbarg the Fearsome, Hard-shelled Crab; Jahan, 1: Pirate Bowman; Anni, 3: Pirate Bowman, Source Abomination, Diederek Baron of Bones).

Anni: Marksman (2), Geomancer (3), Lucky Charm (2), Loremaster (1), Lockpicking (1)
    Jahan: Aerotheurge (3), Hydrosophist (3), Blacksmithing (1)
    Wolgraff: Scoundrel (3), Pyrokinetic (2), Pickpocketing (1), Sneaking (1)
    BelgarathMTHBubbArvia
    @JuliusBorisov , What an exciting combat report! Congratulations on winning that without a reload. :)
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2019
    Before going to the fire region I finished easier tasks, and while the fights weren't difficult, due to quest XP my party reached the 9th level. Also, no story spoilers. :)

I explored the fire region VERY carefully. The thing here (except for obvious fire around) is that enemies can summon Arcane Vortex, which has an ability to teleport your heroes... including teleporting them to the lava surface, which is an instant death. So the chance to lose here is very high. One mistake, and it's all over. This is why I preferred to use summons. And speaking of that, the game gives you an excellent opportunity if you use crafting.

The main aspect here is you can't buy high-level spellbooks in the starting town. But you can craft them! If you find spell scrolls or buy them, and buy blank spellbooks. It will cost you, but it will allow you to have amazing spells once you reach lvl 9. Here, look at my army of summons (now all 4 heroes can summon):
    2knqe7wzg5ty.jpg
    czi3lbbjdsss.jpg

The next boss, the Twins-By-Fire-Joined, looked very scary. Once I looked his stats thanks to Loremaster on Anni, I cleared all the fire by Rain from Jahan, and chose the best position to attack.
    c5h9s5lk9m7e.jpg
    02xkw8379a7f.jpg

Here even my Fire Elemental by Wolgraff could help - while attacking enemies wouldn't do anything, it still could take their damage, instead of other creatures and heroes.
    9eep61twolz2.jpg
    f55rfqkwgpt0.jpg

Lucius charmed one of the lesser enemies, so the Twins-By-Fire-Joined potentially now had to fight 5 enemies, and this is without my characters!
    1aa1gkdc1bwn.jpg
    jbnoswvo4tke.jpg

Wolgraff and Lucius joined the fight, and finished the boss. But when it died, an explosion happened, which killed Wolgraff. The interesting fact here is he still got the XP of the kill, as he was alive at the moment it was granted.
    d9765xczqk8c.jpg
    sjbwpveizktf.jpg

Winning the fight after the main danger was eliminated wasn't difficult.
    95rh12njzetj.jpg
    nva2h7ctbwkf.jpg

Again, no story spoilers here. Up to the old church. Battling cultists here granted us the 10th level. This allowed Anni to get a new summon (geomancy) - a wolf! It's nice how geomancy helps an archer. Making her a ranger type, summoning animals.
    ga1l2y3hobou.jpg

Now, the old evil awaited. The character which the game scared you about since the first minutes. This will be a reality check for this no-reload run.
    2ehea4lem2v7.jpg
    6s5zn1lh195s.jpg

Current lvl: 10
    Party deaths: 11 (Wolgraff, 5: Undead Archer, Mysterious Opponent, Young Orc Ranger, Hard-shelled Crab, the Twins-By-Fire-Joined; Lucius, 2: Grulbarg the Fearsome, Hard-shelled Crab; Jahan, 1: Pirate Bowman; Anni, 3: Pirate Bowman, Source Abomination, Diederek Baron of Bones).

Lucius: Man-at-Arms (2), Witchcraft (3), Charisma (2), Leadership (1), Crafting (2)
    Anni: Marksman (3), Geomancer (4), Lucky Charm (2), Loremaster (1), Lockpicking (1)
    Jahan: Aerotheurge (4), Hydrosophist (4), Blacksmithing (1)
    Wolgraff: Scoundrel (3), Pyrokinetic (4), Pickpocketing (1), Sneaking (1)
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    Good luck Julius with that last one! It was the point where my playthrough hit a brick wall due to a botched character guide I followed. Up to that I did everything apart from winning from Frederick/Annah.

I am reluctant to start the progress once more from Scratch.

Great game nonetheless.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2019
    @Doubledimas I didn't even know there are character guides. :) I guess, I've just got used to playing everything myself and getting my own mistakes/success. What do you think of those skill mixes I use on my characters?

Anyway, the main question. And oh boy, what a fun battle that is. Probably one of the most interesting battles I've seen in RPGs in a while. Unlike the Adra Dragon from PoE, Braccus Rex can be beaten fairly, and the player has all the ways to react.

But it starts insanely: Braccus Rex summons all the previous bosses, Ascension-style: the Ghoul that Guards the Lighthouse, Diederek Baron of Bones, and the Twins-By-Fire-Joined.

Braccus himself is invulnerable to your damage and debuffs (till you destroy protective spheres).

But most importantly. He casts something similar to a Meteor Storm. Anni was immediately dead. Wolgraff barely survived. Lucius survived just fine, thanks to me putting points into Constitution for him. Jahan wasn't harmed.
    ylcbg6jd0qpp.jpg
    a0upgogqp9cg.jpg
    3hmegzcuderh.jpg

Of course, I reacted. I summoned an Air Elemental which then teleported Lucius to a safe place. I summoned a Fire Elemental to distract the Twins-By-Fire-Joined and Braccus. Also, this Elemental ignited poison next to the Ghoul that Guards the Lighthouse, which nearly did him. And I summoned a lesser undead to distract the Ghoul.
    oqq8tzzm1kc5.jpg
    dyly10o3owsr.jpg
    6sa0vn3heize.jpg
    bdnknqrv54mv.jpg
    pj6tid44f4m0.jpg

While our summons held the line, Lucius, Anni and Wolgraff all were healed.
    ov2w8muncoso.jpg

I had to summon an Ice Elemental after enemies killed the Air one, and also summoned a Spider. My undead warrior nearly finished the Ghoul, while Baron's and Twins' progress was slow due to Janan's and Elemental's magic.
    gd9wr6jga8ji.jpg
    z317cfn2zks3.jpg
    r6qxtugo8ev0.jpg

I sent the spider to kill the Ghoul (because the spider was immune to poison), and Anni shot the Twins down with her icy and water arrows.
    xmwoop3f81k3.jpg
    zikx9gndsy8j.jpg

Finally, we healed more. We kept disabling the Baron - by freezing him. The spider turned the Ghoul into dust.
    op2hz9x1116v.jpg
    p3ky7kdf98fn.jpg
    8oo8hgibwqa4.jpg

It was time to send Wolgraff for that distant sphere (Jahan teleported him, then Wolgraff used his own teleport, and basically reached the sphere in 1 turn), and oppose Braccus in melee (for that, I buffed Lucius with everything I had). Anni summoned a Wolf.
    r45z2qp101gs.jpg
    usz7atz4qfxv.jpg
    8z6tsohyooo1.jpg
    c2kaohbh8n5v.jpg
    9tfcd4qyrzpt.jpg

Once Braccus became vulnerable, Lucius decreased his Willpower, which let us freeze and blind the Sourcerer King.
    xiw2ft27tprg.jpg
    i8g7v4pbd6zx.jpg
    ynmjqubdygex.jpg

This was his end.
    nr72o585kd1x.jpg
    art157hgd70w.jpg
    21f884ano5nl.jpg

What a joy was to discover all the shiny loot on the battlefield. Boots which provide +1 to Speed (which means +1 Action Points during each turn). A wand with a 25% chance to blind targets. A one-handed sword with big damage, comparable with a fully upgraded (though crafting) unique club.
    zscl0omapvwz.jpg
    7j7i4punmio9.jpg
    17cs8a1zj561.jpg
    n3hhyd0dxxpp.jpg

Braccus Rex, the famous and dangerous Sourcerer King, lays fully defeated.

Party deaths: 12 (Wolgraff, 5: Undead Archer, Mysterious Opponent, Young Orc Ranger, Hard-shelled Crab, the Twins-By-Fire-Joined; Lucius, 2: Grulbarg the Fearsome, Hard-shelled Crab; Jahan, 1: Pirate Bowman; Anni, 4: Pirate Bowman, Source Abomination, Diederek Baron of Bones, Braccus Rex).

Lucius: Man-at-Arms (2), Witchcraft (3), Charisma (2), Leadership (1), Crafting (2)
    Anni: Marksman (3), Geomancer (4), Lucky Charm (2), Loremaster (1), Lockpicking (1)
    Wolgraff: Scoundrel (3), Pyrokinetic (4), Pickpocketing (1), Sneaking (1)
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    @JuliusBorisov , So, does that mean the game is over, and you can declare your no-reload a success? Congratulations on your big win!
    JuliusBorisov
    Oh, no, that is (as I understand) only 1/3 of the game. ;) Or a bit more, hard to tell. I have a skillbook requiring the 15th level. While Braccus Rex is defeated, and the puzzles of Cyseal are solved, the main storyline continues. Now I have to find "a White Witch" to help stop the Void from taking all the world. I will travel to another town.
    BelgarathMTH
    Every time I get to the End of Time, it's a chance to think about existence and the universe. Because scenes like this can definitely make you wonder about existential questions. I like these breaks from Rivellon.

j80dkqwtb65u.jpg

The game is far from over. For example, in the Ancient Tomb of Braccus we found our first chest sealed with a magical lock. To unlock it, I need a special spell. I have only 1 scroll of that spell, and don't want to waste it yet.
    rf8bbl4udgx5.jpg

Before I could travel to the next region, I had to face a guard. Surprises never end. We started the fight as usual.
    dychqzxaxcyc.jpg
    hbb9af77x7wi.jpg
    0dt6fczzv958.jpg

But then the enemy summoned 4 fire fragments. They acted as kamikaze fireballs. Jahan didn't survive.
    zm65h1n2vco3.jpg
    fxmrxiwyfnwz.jpg

Defeating the enemy wasn't difficult. After those fire fragments I remembered the Twins-By-Fire-Joined, which exploded at death. And voila - Incandescent Wanderer exploded at death as well, dealing more than 10k damage to everything nearby.
    mob95dnyiraw.jpg

It was fun to talk Trollish. Thanks to a book you find, you can actually understand this dialogue.

3oka4we9eg0b.jpg

The next area looks (from the map) huge, probably it's of the same size as the first area.
    k1c7fyccbc3c.jpg

I've checked - GOG Galaxy shows only 19-20% of players killed Braccus Rex. So as I understand the following parts of the game are not known to the majority of players.

Party deaths: 13 (Wolgraff, 5: Undead Archer, Mysterious Opponent, Young Orc Ranger, Hard-shelled Crab, the Twins-By-Fire-Joined; Lucius, 2: Grulbarg the Fearsome, Hard-shelled Crab; Jahan, 2: Pirate Bowman, Fire Fragment; Anni, 4: Pirate Bowman, Source Abomination, Diederek Baron of Bones, Braccus Rex).
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    @JuliusBorisov Can't say much about your skill choices as I am far from an expert myself. Only thing I noticed is that I put skills like black smithing, crafting, lockpicking and such on the two characters I do not take along (bairdotr and wolgraff). You only need that usually when you're in a town anyway so the main four can get the useful combat skills.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2019
    I see. My approach towards that - I'd find it a bit unfair to use 2 characters I don't include into my main party as people responsible for crafting, blacksmithing, picking locks, thieving, and identifying items. While that would potentially improve my party (because skill points could be put into attacking/defending skills instead), I just find it unnatural.

BTW, you can respec your characters in the End of Time, so you don't need to worry about "good" or "bad" skill choices.

Anyway, not a big report today, because I spent a lot of time exploring the new town, Silverglen, checking out its merchants, deciding on skill books I want to buy, looting containers, etc. All this is very exciting in D:OS. One quest I did was to help a blacksmith, his wife, and their animal to reach Silverglen safely. As a reward, this blacksmith has now a 100% disposition towards Lucius, which gives me the best prices when I want to sell items. He's a merchant from whom legendary items can be bought. I was so lucky to find a bow which grants +1 Speed. This is very rare for items to grant attribute points, and each attribute point in D:OS is a very big improvement. I could compare it to going from STR 18 to STR 19 each time. Now when Anni had a legendary weapon, I started tinkering with crafting, and what a joy that is.
    1ggm7ltahdlv.jpg

Each time I try crafting (without looking in the net), it's a good exercise for the brain: what can be merged together, and what cannot. In this case, I've been wondering for a while how else I can use essences of fire/water/air/earth in addition to just merging them with sheets of paper. Reason: these essences are very rare and expensive, but merging them with sheets of paper creates only blank scrolls of the appropriate element, which are cheap. And I managed to find out the essences can be added to weapons! So my legendary bow could now have additional water damage, for example. I also have been wondering about strange "unique" items without any direct use, for example, a buffalo amulet, or a scope. I haven't found any use for the amulet, but the scope description made me try merging it with the bow... And it granted +1 Perception (another attribute) to it.

I also found a book explaining you could add "tormented souls to weapons". I tried it some time ago, and it adds +1 to DEX and +1 to STR, which is massive.

All this process takes time, and while for an outsider it might not be interesting, it's actually very interesting in the game. First, finding an item. Then trying to improve it. And finding an item can be random: you either check merchants from time to time, or wait for a lucky drop from an enemy/a container. The mix of pre-defined drops and random loot is a very strong combination.

The way to help the blacksmith's animal was also somewhat rewarding. It involved something which I had for a while and couldn't find any use for. It's usual for this game: in Cyseal, for example, you first learned about a grave which is still being cared of, but couldn't understand who and why should care about that grave. Later in the story, you learn about it, and it gives a touching moment (at least it gave it to me).

My party got a new level after a fight with drunk (!) goblins. :) Again, a lot of time spent on deciding what talent to pick and what skill to improve.
    bkeltjlnclat.jpg
    7j28sbd6d1jv.jpg
    uhmkeinvz214.jpg

I also tried a new spell, Tornado: it removes surfaces from the battlefield, which is a very useful trick.
    lmk7dy51qpjf.jpg
    tsyo8zwsisxy.jpg
    w1lnu1vjeame.jpg

Current lvl: 11
    Party deaths: 13 (Wolgraff, 5: Undead Archer, Mysterious Opponent, Young Orc Ranger, Hard-shelled Crab, the Twins-By-Fire-Joined; Lucius, 2: Grulbarg the Fearsome, Hard-shelled Crab; Jahan, 2: Pirate Bowman, Fire Fragment; Anni, 4: Pirate Bowman, Source Abomination, Diederek Baron of Bones, Braccus Rex).

Lucius: Man-at-Arms (3), Witchcraft (4), Charisma (2), Leadership (1), Crafting (2)
    Strength 12, Dexterity 6, Intelligence 8, Constitution 10, Speed 7, Perception 5

STR 6 DEX 11 INT 9 CON 5 SP 9 PER 12

STR 5 DEX 5 INT 14 CON 7 SP 6 PER 8

Wolgraff: Scoundrel (4), Pyrokinetic (4), Pickpocketing (1), Sneaking (1)
    STR 6 DEX 12 INT 9 CON 7 SP 8 PER 8
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    edited May 2019
    During the weekend I read about @BelgarathMTH 's disappointment in P:KM, and can clearly state that D:OS is THE game for me in terms of finding "that" new game to succeed BG. I have no doubts not everyone will like the game, a lot of people will find something "off" in D:OS, whether that's humour, or TB combat, or something else. But for me personally, it's ticking all the boxes. I don't want to compare the game to BG only, I try to evaluate it on its own. And it's a great game. I think Dragon Age games offer better and deeper personalities, but from the tactical standpoint, and from the overall impression standpoint, I'd put D:OS just as high, as BG. Let's hope D:OS II can offer deeper companions personalities, and then it can very much become a game which is probably the best from the last 10 years. Again, for me. I feel ashamed that I didn't believe IGN's claims from 2014. Even on this forum, I wrote at that time smth along the lines of "Really? I think PoE is modern BG". But BG, or not BG, D:OS is the game for me which has impressed me a lot.

I had a short session. Talked to mushrooms and solved their puzzles.
    qb16i2sw6vv7.jpg

Found the first item to upgrade unique source hunter weapons.
    w6l2wlaztnuw.jpg

Talked to a puddle.
    a663xzemmv2z.jpg

Fought enemies who slaughtered animals for fun.
    zdodng8vjhev.jpg

Learned something about the source hunters' souls.
    06a2863e96t7.jpg

Chose a new room for the End of Time, went with an ice room because I consider Hydrosophist to have the biggest influence in battles.
    gtbua1351a1l.jpg

The merchant there also sold Marksman skill books, and I found out the Magical Unlock spell cannot be memorized. This made me try crafting again, and I found a recipe to create such spell scrolls. This let me open 2 locks I've long been wanting to unlock.
    g8im66eo4w7e.jpg
    dysklaim3e34.jpg
    pvvffabd2xov.jpg

Defeated a semi-boss. Well, enemies defeated themselves, shooting frost grenades onto the battlefield (thanks to my summons being the targets), and thus freezing everything.
    rb3hksj4aewh.jpg
    6ut5hw67wyrd.jpg
    j9r2r75dxt73.jpg
    yc5stk68cmn4.jpg

I made it to the entrance leading to the next area, but I'll try finishing all the quests in the Luculla Forest and Silverglen first.
    pirswcft1ir6.jpg

Current lvl: 11
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    @JuliusBorisov , I'm glad you're having so much fun. I'll have to give D:OS another chance some time. :)
    JuliusBorisov