DequDequ Member Posts: 5
Post edited by Dequ on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    half-orc fighter/mage/thief? hmm.....
    joluvilduderino
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    bag of plenty? hmm.....
    pips in small sword and missile weapons? hmm.....
    ilduderino
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Doesn’t sound so legit
    I kid, but the OP could have done the same thing in a truly unmodified game. If you're willing to play deep into the game without leveling up, you can acquire enough Fireshield, Stoneskin, and Mirror Image scrolls to make this fight very doable at level 1.
    joluv wrote: »
    I kid, but the OP could have done the same thing in a truly unmodified game. If you're willing to play deep into the game without leveling up, you can acquire enough Fireshield, Stoneskin, and Mirror Image scrolls to make this fight very doable at level 1.

are you sure? from as far as i know, in the umodded EE game, there is only 1 copy each of fireshield red/blue, 2 copies of stoneskin, and i guess in theory you could get infinite copies of mirror image ( since mirror image is part of the random treasure table )

but also, doesnt your level effect the durations of fireshields? and also doesnt your level effect mirror image and stoneskin?
    oh, nevermind, i just found out that when you cast stoneskin and fireshield off of a scroll it casts at caster level 10, most interesting
    joluvlolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited May 2019
    I'm not really clear why this method is counted as 'legitimate' anyway. In vanilla there were a number of ways of abusing Drizzt's AI in order to kill him and this seems to me to just be one of those. You wouldn't normally continue attacking fire shields until you die as a PC (though I have done that through carelessness ;)).
    sarevok57
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I just hide off screen and let the gnolls kill him for me. He doesn't actually fight back until he talks to you.
    Quartzsarevok57
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's still a good method, albeit resource-intensive, and it's pretty fast. Fire Shield is a smart way of avoiding his magic resistance and AC.

My preferred method is to use a charmed character like nearby Teyngan or a party member to lead him around in a wide circle around an archer, who will steadily fire arrows at Drizzt while Drizzt struggles to catch up to the ally running in circles. It's much slower than Fire Shield, but it requires no resources beyond ammunition.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    Or block him in a circle of booted party members and just shoot away. You can get a drink while you're charname is busy.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    In the end, wouldn't it be better if drizzt was just removed from the game? It is pretty cheesy to meet him, and even cheesier when you face him and kill him.
    Arthas wrote: »
    In the end, wouldn't it be better if drizzt was just removed from the game? It is pretty cheesy to meet him, and even cheesier when you face him and kill him.

well you arent FORCED to kill him, but i like to use @Tresset method of doing so because you dont get the XP when he dies ( just his juicy items which are outrageously good in bg1 )

plus you meet up with him again in BG2 and if you were holding one of his items in bg1 and then import over to bg2, he has a different banter with you

plus if you do want to kill him for the lulz, you dont have to cheese him, i believe the best i did in a battle with drizzt without using cheese was with a team that was around the 55 000 XP mark ( i believe i had a dwarf fighter/cleric buffed to the 9s while the rest of the team used missile weapons ) and that was on insane difficulty
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2019
    Indeed. You meet a lot of very powerful individuals in the games and they're mostly there for flavor. The only ones you can't kill (or aren't supposed to be able to) are the plot-related ones.

Also, context. These games were mostly made for people who loved a good story, the devs didn't really go out of their way to account for jaded gamers/exploit-obsessed people.
    If you figured out an exploit then good for you, move on and enjoy the game. As long as it's not gamebreaking (literally) then it didn't matter, really. Player accountability was also a thing in those days so if you can't help but abuse exploits then it's your own damn fault if you can't enjoy the game.
    sarevok57StummvonBordwehr
  • DequDequ Member Posts: 5
    I forgot to mention that I used mode SCS and no racial restrictions tweak. Fight is pretty much same with or without those. If fight goes too long Drizzt will cast remove magic and it is GG. Things I used and how to get in vanilla game: 1 stoneskin scroll = Dezkiel from ice island. 3 Mirror Image Scrolls = High Hidge. Fireshield = somewhere in cloakwood mines. Some buffing potions = all around from enemies and shops. Scroll cast are counted as lvl10 casters spells. Lvl1 help me not to die in 1shot, so I can always back up a bit and drink potion to get back max hp.

Maybe some point I will make a video how to beat all major enemies using SCS mod and being only lvl1. Challenge comes how to manage finite recources, because there is lot of hard fights.
    joluvBalrog99
    Dequ wrote: »
    Lvl1 help me not to die in 1shot

My understanding (which could be incorrect) is that this behavior only applies to characters with less than 14 HP. I think the real reason you never got one-shotted is that Drizzt only does 1d8+5 damage per hit.
    Grond0
  • DequDequ Member Posts: 5
    joluv wrote: »
    Dequ wrote: »
    Lvl1 help me not to die in 1shot

My understanding (which could be incorrect) is that this behavior only applies to characters with less than 14 HP. I think the real reason you never got one-shotted is that Drizzt only does 1d8+5 damage per hit.
    Oh if that is the case, then I could have planned a bit different. Thx for new info.