Skip to content

[MOD] Test Your Mettle!

Comments

• ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Tell me there is even an evil path and I'll be sold :P

Btw, why don't you introduce a nordrom npc on this? :P (I'm being greedy, I know)
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Arthas said:

Tell me there is even an evil path and I'll be sold :P

Btw, why don't you introduce a nordrom npc on this? :P (I'm being greedy, I know)

There is no evil path, but some devils may recognize your taint (or that of Imoen) and react to it in one way or another. It would be an interesting idea for a future update though.

I'm not really up to create a full-fledged NPC à la Nordom. Such a character would also be rather limited regarding equipment. Moreover, I think that a modron character would be too steampunkish for the BG universe. It fits more into the Planescape setting.
    Aedan
    Okay, I will still take a look at this, hoping I will find the final area because I was never ever able to reach the ending of nordrom maze in many of my playthroughs. :(
    This mod is only very loosely based on PST's Modron Maze. You'll find many surprises if you compare it to the original. ;)
    K thanks <3
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Modrons and Planar creatures? This is my jam! :D
    argent77
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Looks like a great mod, will try it on my next run!
    argent77
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    I started playing the mod. Very original and creative (modrons are too kawaii, I can't kill them ;pp) Have not play that much but I still have a suggestion.

In Planar Sphere in the room where the mod starts, you can normally meet a bunch of golems there, sometimes even Adamantine golem is with them. In my opinion the new enemies there introduced by your mod are waaay too easy. You could make them tougher or simply not replace the original enemies. Not a big deal, I just want my XP for the golems, to be honest. ;p But on the other hand this fight is kinda too easy for real after beating all the mage parties (halflings, Nekre) before them, especially with SCS installed.
    edited November 2018
    You're right, the trigger responsible for it can spawn powerful creatures. But I don't think that was really intended by the devs.

By accident I have noticed that the same trigger script is also used to spawn the golems in Suldanessalar. You're much higher level at that time, so adamantite golems are more appropriate. The Planar Sphere is usually done around chapter 2 or 3, so at most you will see an iron golem and a few stone golems. I tried to scale the difficulty up to that point. But I'll see if I can increase difficulty a bit further.
    Post edited by argent77 on
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it may have to do with the difficulty slider, set on insane, that affects spawns
    bob_veng said:

it may have to do with the difficulty slider, set on insane, that affects spawns

This particular trap scales only according to the XP value of the protagonist. Adamantite Golems would be spawned if Player1 has reached 2M or more XP. XP gain may be affected by difficulty rate though.
    bob_veng
  • DrAzTiKDrAzTiK Member Posts: 50
    edited January 2019
    Hi argent77,

I have made the standard planet sphere quest, Lavok is dead and I don't know where/when your mod is supposed to begin.
    DrAzTiK said:

Hi argent77,

I have made the standard planet sphere quest, Lavok is dead and I don't know where/when your mod is supposed to begin.

In the room with the gears, where you would originally encounter a bunch of golems, you will now encounter a different kind of creature. Kill the creature to retrieve a special item, that can be used to start the quest. (Btw, you can start the quest (i.e. use the item) whenever or wherever you want. It doesn't have to be in the sphere.)
    DrAzTiK
    ok !!
    edited January 2019
    BTW argent77, I have a question about your component reducing XP of monsters. Does it apply for all monsters in the game or just for the creatures of your mod ?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    @DrAzTiK Just for the creatures of your mod.
    argent77DrAzTiK
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited March 2019
    A minor thing: BG2 defines north in the isometric view as upper left--the compass in the Watcher's Keep third level maze, and the warrior mini-game on the fifth level--whereas the recycling area uses the upper right as north. I think the only practical change needed would be to slightly adjust the recycling note.
    argent77
    You're right, the directions are indeed incorrectly described. Will be fixed. I'll probably add a compass to the map as well, for clarification.
    bob_veng
    edited May 2019
    I don't understand how the help to go through the maze works. I activated the system, but mmmm... I don't see any difference.

I mean... you are not said which one is the square you're supposed to reach.

Walkthrough:
    reach 1-1, then go left.
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    Hi, I really like this mod, really appreciate your work :+1: I was able (after activating the clue for which room I am in) to find and defeat bosses and return the cube to Modrons.
    However I collected multiple coin bags, goodies, magic items etc. but I don't know how or where to exchange it? Is it somehow connected with four "storage" places on the floor in the first room of the Maze? If yes how? Could you reveal it in spoiler post please?
    Anyway thanks a lot for this great adventure.
  • Bomb3rmanBomb3rman Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2019
    Hey, interesting mod. Does it conflict with the old Planar Sphere mod? I remember that the old mod also changes rooms in the planar sphere....
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited July 2019
    Bomb3rman wrote: »
    Hey, interesting mod. Does it conflict with the old Planar Sphere mod? I remember that the old mod also changes rooms in the planar sphere....

I installed both mods together on BG2:EE; there was no conflict.

Test Your Mettle! simply adds a group of enemies to the normal Planar Sphere map that you visit during the Valygar quest — the Planar Sphere Mod doesn't modify that version of the map other than by adding some spell scrolls to existing loot containers, which causes no conflict.

The main part of the Planar Sphere Mod, where it fills the whole sphere with new content, only comes later – after you've completed Valygar's quest and the normal mage stronghold quest-line.

PS: Regarding install order, I installed the Planar Sphere mod first. It's usually a good idea to install old mods first, since they are more likely to overwrite stuff rather than properly patching it.
    (Before installing it, I patched the Planar Sphere mod by applying the BWP fixpack to it, to make it EE compatible.)
    Bomb3rman
  • Bomb3rmanBomb3rman Member Posts: 9
    Ok, that's good to hear, thank you for your Input!
    Arthas wrote: »
    I don't understand how the help to go through the maze works. I activated the system, but mmmm... I don't see any difference.

I mean... you are not said which one is the square you're supposed to reach.

Walkthrough:
    reach 1-1, then go left.
    The navigation system doesn't guide you to your destination, but it allows you to navigate through the maze without getting lost, since you always know the exact grid location you're in.

A walkthrough would be difficult to come up with since the maze is randomized. In your specific run you have found the first plot location near grid 1-1, but it can be pretty much anywhere.

Caszidy wrote: »
    Hi, I really like this mod, really appreciate your work :+1: I was able (after activating the clue for which room I am in) to find and defeat bosses and return the cube to Modrons.
    However I collected multiple coin bags, goodies, magic items etc. but I don't know how or where to exchange it? Is it somehow connected with four "storage" places on the floor in the first room of the Maze? If yes how? Could you reveal it in spoiler post please?
    Anyway thanks a lot for this great adventure.
    Yes, they are connected to the "storage" places in the entrance area. In the upper corner of the entrance area you can find a clickable device which should provide you with instructions how to use the containers. It also explains which type of items should be placed into which container. Currently, directions may be a bit a hard to interpret since they are based on PST-style, which differ somewhat from BG-style directions. Next version of the mod will add some improvements in that regard.
    Caszidy
    New release: Test Your Mettle! v1.1

This update provides Russian and German translations. Moreover, it adds a compass to the entrance area (with translated cardinal directions for all mod languages) to make following directions less confusing. The initial encounter in the Planar Sphere has also been slightly improved, making it more challenging for higher level parties.

Full changelog:
    • Added Russian translation (thanks tipun)
    • Added German translation
    • Various map improvements
    • Improved Planar Sphere encounter
    • Internal fixes
    CaszidyAedanGusinda
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @argent77 Your edit to the OP here was caught by the forum's automated spam filter. I have no idea how this happened, but you somehow got marked as 'not verified' which caused the spam filter to trigger on you. I have verified you again so that this should not happen again.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    Tresset wrote: »
    Your edit to the OP here was caught by the forum's automated spam filter. I have no idea how this happened, but you somehow got marked as 'not verified' which caused the spam filter to trigger on you. I have verified you again so that this should not happen again.

So the Vanilla Forums are joining IPB Forums club called 'Mark valid members as spammers' lol :/
    New release: Test Your Mettle! v1.2

Changelog:
    Aedan
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,678
    edited February 2020
    Funny thing, but... I think I don't understand what I am supposed to do with Baatezu Wardstone. I found the place, got rid of the "obstacles", found the item, got back to the director and... nothing. It's been a while ago, I don't remember exactly the talk with the director and note in the journal doesn't give me any specific information. Could anyone remind me what was I supposed to do next?

Also, I think I found a bug: priestress and her demon found Viconia when I was inside the cube. When they got hostile, all the modrons got hostile as well. I guess they thought I attacked them, but I never did.