Skip to content

Any mods that fix Spell Interruption On Zero (Elemental) Damage in BG2EE?

RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
The good old casting failure while being hit with an element you or the enemy is immune to.
I know TOBEX has a component that does this, but it's for pre EE only.
I also know the latest BGEE and IWDEE patches (2.5.17.0) have fixes that do it, however it seems BG2EE is behind on the patching cycle and does not contain this fix.
Preferably something that won't mess up my current SCS install. I basically only have SCS and Ascension installed.
Isewein

Comments

• DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    SCS v32 does this (on EE) if you want to risk a beta.
    JuliusBorisovIseweinCrevsDaak
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    @DavidW
    Thanks, does it come in form of a specific component I can install? I tried looking for it in gameplay tweaks but didn't see anything like that.
    Asking because I'd rather not have to install the whole game fresh along with a new SCS install as I already have the latest non beta version.
    No, it’s part of the core ‘initialise’ component.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    This was added in v32? So v31 doesn't have it, right?
    @DavidW I gave it a try with a fresh install and SCS 3.2 RC10 but it didn't seem to work, the Lich still failed the cast from a weapon with fire on hit despite being immune to fire.

hgnsm61leuu2.png
    Interesting...I’ll check it out.
    Thanks, my main concern is actually for weapons, since elemental damage on hit is plenty in BG2 and it can trvialize spellcaster battles by a lot the moment they let a single PFMW wear off.
  • ariakas2ariakas2 Member Posts: 80
    DavidW wrote: »
    Ah. No need to check it out, on reflection: this patch works on a per-resource basis, and I did spells but not magic weapons. (My main use case was spellcasters standing in their own AoE.) I can probably allow for weapons too - note for the next version.

Is this possible? It would be great if it is.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    edited May 2019
    Newest EE patch fixed this rather poorly imo. You might want to try this mod.
    I made it before the patch, but unfortunetely it's still fairly viable.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ariakas2ariakas2 Member Posts: 80
    edited May 2019
    Aasim wrote: »
    Does this mod work with elemental damage applied by weapons?
    ariakas2 wrote: »
    Aasim wrote: »
    Does this mod work with elemental damage applied by weapons?

No. Only spells, but it does cover pretty much all of them.
    @aasim in the thread you mentioned a conflict, do you mean the SR component that allows Spell turning and deflection to block area spells?
    edited May 2019
    @aasim in the thread you mentioned a conflict, do you mean the SR component that allows Spell turning and deflection to block area spells?

Sorry, I missed this post. If by "conflict" you mean how the spell name is missing from combat log, yes.
    Now this is easilly changed. But..
    If I change it you get another "issue". Kind of reverse of what happens now - the message would be displayed for each character hit (unrelated to 0-damage disruption, this is specific to AoE being blocked by Deflection spells).
    Example; say Edwin casts Skull Trap at 10 gibberlings. You'd get combat log saying:
    Edwin - Skull trap - Gibberling
    For each one affected.

I personally prefer the latter, but I'm not sure how others would feel about it.
    @aasim I would prefer the latter as well. Is there a way to make this change easily? I would like to use both mods, but I like knowing what spell has been cast.
    yes.t you'll need to reinstall that component.
    Edit spell revisions/components/nwn_spell_deflection.tpa, scroll down to this part of code

ACTION_IF found && r2 && (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%i2%.spl~) BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~%i2%.spl~ ~override/%i2%%letter%.spl~ // cloning original into the secondary spell
    WRITE_ASCII 0x8 ~~ (8) // clearing out the name
    GET_OFFSET_ARRAY headers 0x64 4 0x68 2 0 0 0x28
    PHP_EACH headers AS i => r BEGIN
    WRITE_SHORT (r+0x0c) 1 // target = creature
    WRITE_SHORT (r+0x26) 1 // projectile = none
    END
    BUT_ONLY

and write // in front of WRITE_ASCII, so it looks like

// WRITE_ASCII 0x8 ~~ (8) // clearing out the name