Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    Nareth puts off his helmet and rubs the top of his head:

" Aye, I am speaking about quest of my from His Majesty. You see, M'Lady Sus'Ann, we embark on an expedition into out-lands and me squad is more or less set, I say. The only one is missing is the priest. The journey can be dangerous and, I say, it is indeed a bad omen to embark without the one... That's being said, and I frankly don't expect the High Priest assign us the good one. A good priest - is a good.. priest, ya see, always is needed: to cure a cow, or a child, to help around, ya know. I say, this is unworthy to sit in the rear. So, M'Lady Sus'Ann, if you consider joining - me is more than happy... "

He finishes his tirade, fiddling with his helmet and looking down on her. It is obvious that old Senior Guard is not expecting to find another subsidiary, at least not the worthy one in such a short time frame.
    ThacoBellmashedtatersSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    Nareth's face expresses understanding and he is agrees with the Priestess. The talks about village business have reminded him of his garrison and a plenty of unfinished work left. Damn it!. He crosses his arms over his chest and with all his appearance portrays curiosity:

" Aye, aye M'Lady.. We are humble men of God, may the Refiner be blessed forever. But answer me this, my good Sus'Ann, are we up to violate the God's will? This is yet another test they offer for us to prove our faith. The King.. Well, whatsoever he is - is appointed by Gods as a part of our life-long test. I says, let's consider this quest as an opportunity to check our will and soul. Aye, this is no the most safe journey, but this is indeed no babysitting. That is an aid during the expedition if... well, if something go wrong. I am no commander, oh no. How dare I? I am a humble servant, our leader is M'Lord Colden and I am afraid, I cannot tell ya much now, this is a no good place for that. But I say, it is a journey to distant lands outside and to stop an outrage made by orc-folk. We are up to hunt'em down, put an end to this threat and protect the outlying villages, like me village! " - he resolutely smacks his fist with the leather glove - "... Astorwind needs ye help, aye, but there are smaller towns. Towns with no priests at all. And they also suffer from diseases, pestilence and Gods know what else. The World is much bigger than a box within the Astorwind Castle walls, I says."

Nareth He catches the curious glances of the soldiers, which makes him look menacingly and meaningfully at them.
    SkatanmashedtatersThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    edited May 2019
    So gold is not much of an issue here in Astorwind for Nareth and Colden. As they are part of the party, they have access to most of the kingdom’s wealth. So the rest of the party also has access through them.
    What actually IS an issue are the following two things:

Weight of an item.
    we will use the D&D 5e rules for carrying capacity: you can carry 15 times your strength score total in pounds (lbs). I like these rules because they are simple. Please note that if you cram “too much” into your pack, I will roleplay it into the game. Too much might be big items or over 50%-75% capacity.

Availability of an item.
    This isn’t a typical Faerun or BG style world where most every basic item is considered available. Think more like developing wilderness frontier where some items just simply can’t be found. If you think of a specific item, please make a request here in the thread and I will tell you if it is available and in what quantity and condition.
    Note that high quality weapons and any heavy armor are unavailable in Astorwind.
    Here is a backpack that is standard issue by the patrol:
    Backpack 5lbs
    Rope 10lbs
    Bedroll 5lbs
    Winter blanket 3lbs
    Cold weather outfit 7lbs
    Waterskin 5lbs per day (4pints or .5gal), 1 day
    3 torches 3lbs
    Food— 1lb per day, 7 days
    45lbs total
    You can edit this if you wish or take it as is as you feel necessary.
    ashafetovSkatanThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Encumberance rules? Awesome! I have 8 STR! @mashedtaters I'm a big fan of 5e in general, its a good ruleset. Having said that, can I use the 5e rules for finesse weapons? That would enable me to use my rapier and dagger off of my dex, rather than str. It won't alter any potential rp issues with low strength, while allowing me to actually help in combat.
    ashafetovlolienSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
    @mashedtaters what items can we reasonably assume to own, versus what should we buy? Can I treat my blue coat as leather armor?
    ashafetovSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
    edited May 2019
    You can reasonably assume to own anything you can make a decent rationale for why a servant would own it.
    As far as what to buy, if there’s something you want and it exists, you can most likely have it. We aren’t worrying about money right now.
    Is your coat leather armor? I thought you had said it was more like a nice dress coat. I could be remembering incorrectly.
    Here is a reference for 5e D&D. Again, I’m not committed to using all these rules except where we have a question or need a reference. But for those of you who enjoy this kind of stuff like me here is the link:
    http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules
    lolienashafetovSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
    @Thacobell
    Yes you can carry it without encumbrance. Your weight limit is 15 times your strength score. We are not using gradual encumbrance rules, though very heavy loads will be role played into the game.

Lagrord’s backpack:
    Backpack 5lbs
    Rope 10lbs
    Bedroll 5lbs
    Winter blanket 3lbs
    Cold weather outfit 7lbs
    3 torches 3lbs
    Wine—2lbs
    Needle and thread—No weight
    47lbs total

You also have your clothes and blue leather jacket, plus a dagger and sword, correct?

Lagrord is ready to begin the journey unless @ThacoBell can think of something else or has anything to add.
    edited May 2019
    Colden is ready for he journey, unless @Skatan has anything else to add

Colden’s backpack:
    Backpack 5lbs
    Rope 10lbs
    Bedroll 5lbs
    Winter blanket 3lbs
    Cold weather outfit 7lbs
    Inkwell, pens, tomes, parchment, writing instruments—5lbs
    Ale—5lbs
    Bread—1lbs
    53lbs total

Colden is carrying an old-fashioned dwarven axe, a buckler, a dagger, and a crossbow with 24 quarrels.

Yes, you definitely have enough strength. You can carry 15 times your strength score.

So now we are waiting for @lolien ‘s character and @Skatan ‘s character to have a conversation about the trip. I can facilitate this if you’d like, or you can just post that you’re meeting each other.

Then we need @ashafetov and @lolien to let me know what weapons they are bringing for the trip and any extra equipment they would like to bring aside from the standard equipment I have listed.
    Post edited by mashedtaters on
    SkatanlolienashafetovRik_Kirtaniya
    *Lagrord knocks on Colden's door*

"Do you think we should visit the armorer? I don't think my coat will be very protective alone."
    mashedtatersSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Before Colden have time to go visit Lagrord, Laggie comes to knock on his door.

"Sounds good, let's do that." Colden accompanies Lagrord to the local armorer.
    @mashedtaters; Colden and Largrord, did we hear Sus'Ann and Nareth talking? Otherwise I think we don't even know Sus'Ann is joining the expedition yet, right?
    ThacoBelllolienRik_Kirtaniya
    edited May 2019
    @Skatan
    That is correct. We are waiting for Sus’Ann to speak with you like she said she would.
    SkatanashafetovRik_Kirtaniya
    On you way to the armory in the Castle, Colden and Lagrord find Sus’Ann, a higher-ranking Sun God priest, speaking with the smith.
    ThacoBellSkatanashafetovRik_Kirtaniya
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited May 2019
    "I spoke with Nareth after the recent draft (which went not too well i must say), he said you lead the expedition and that you are in need of a priest. So i thought i speak with you about joining and get the informations from first hand.

If Astorwind have to spare a servant of the Unblighted, it's better be me, i would not like to endanger everyone else. I don't want to boast, but truth is truth, i'm the only one who use to travel in the wild from the priesthood.

So, what is this dangerous task?"
    SkatanThacoBellashafetovRik_Kirtaniya